• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

When derestricted which motor is best …🤷‍♀️

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
So when fully derestricted which of the latest 2022 onwards motors is best ?
When restricted i love the Power of the Bosh but i want to raise the speed limit and from what i have seen Bosh Smart System is probably the trickiest and the one to cause an issue…..
Anyone ridden Ep8 vs Brose 2.2 when derestricted that can compare ?
Does the Ep8 still tail off quickly and loose torque ?
Is the Brose better than or as powerful as the Bosh ?
Any real life feedback would be great,
I found std the Ep8 is lacking when it comes to torque and power nearer the cut off point and there for cant match the others on climbs …..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The one that is not (currently) broken...

Derestricting only removes the speed limit, it doesn't alter the motor's power characteristics.

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
Anyone ridden Ep8 vs Brose 2.2 when derestricted that can compare ?
Does the Ep8 still tail off quickly and loose torque ?

I haven't ridden a de-restricted Brose, but I used the Eplus software de-restriction on my EP8. They have a "race" version that does modify the power curves, and they say it's kind of insane and can damage the motor if abused. I went with the safe version which makes the speed limit about 40 MPH. There is no sharp drop, because that was specifically the restrictor coming into play. It just drops off in capability as it hits the maximum power. In my area there are a lot of opportunities to run at around 25-28 MPH, but not really faster, so that's what I really wanted. Overall it's not really noticeable; the bike just feels natural instead of hitting a wall at 19.3 MPH.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles