Wheelset for road use on eMTB

Albagord

Mar 10, 2023
Tillicoultry
Considering purchasing a second wheel set for road cycling with my Cube ProReaction 500 hardtail. Currently just use it with off road Vittoria Agarro/Barzo tyres on the 29" Alex 30 wheels both on and off road. Is it considered a necessity to purchase ebike specific wheels owing to power from the motor as these wheels are weight rated heavier. Ball park figs so far for wheels + rotor + 12 speed cassette + Schwalbe Hurricane tyres are £500-£650. Just looking for a pair of budget wheels + rotors, cassette and tyres for road use. Was thinking up to £300. Any suggestions welcome.

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
I have DT swiss M1700 29ers on my hardtail, purchased at a discount on Chain Reaction, with Thunder Burt 2.1 Super Ground. They are one of the fastest rolling tyres but don't get the Addix speed as they are too light and will puncture...
Apart from the hub being silent on freewheel the wheel + tyre combo is about 1kg lighter per end.
I also run Linkglide, which is crazy cheap at the moment and durable, when I swap wheelsets I just transfer the cassette also so as to not mess up the chain-cassette union.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
The main problem with two sets of wheels is apart from slight spec differences in wheel and cassettes meaning you may be fine tuning the gears every time you swap ,
Your also going to be bedding in the pads too different discs every time unless of course you swap the disc over everytime too, which with different wheels you may also need to centre your calliper up too,
The only way you can do this is duplicate everything exactly wheels , cassette , discs you would also need a set of pads to swap over to there corresponding wheel each time as well to avoid the bedding in so still a faff
I personally would not bother but thats up to you just so you know it might not be as simple as a quick wheel swap .

Last edited:

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
The main problem with two sets of wheels is apart from slight spec differences in wheel and cassettes meaning you may be fine tuning the gears ever time you swap ,
Your also going to be bedding in the pads too different discs every time unless of course you swap the disc over everytime too, which with different wheels you may also need to centre your calliper up too,
The only way you can do this is duplicate everything exactly wheels , cassette , discs you would also need a set of pads to swap over to there corresponding wheel each time as well to avoid the bedding in so still a faff
I personally would not bother but thats up to you just so you know it might not be as simple as a quick wheel swap .
I don't think it is such a drama to adjust the calliper and bedding in the pads is a natural process requiring very little thought or process. The switch only happens bi-monthly and sometimes seasonally depending on work location, it is not a weekly event for me.
@Paulquattro how do you deal with running two separate wheelsets? Or is all this just theoretical? Ideally, we would have multiple bikes for the purpose which is not always functional, both economically or practically.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
i switch the rear wheel with zero fine tuning. Bontrager line comp 30 set is about that budget, they are fitted from the factory on the trek rail.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
@Paulquattro how do you deal with running two separate wheelsets? Or is all this just theoretical? Ideally, we would have multiple bikes for the purpose which is not always functional, both economically or practically.
Hi
For me it didn't work out at all because of my first post
My problem is that I would be out every 2 weeks at least sometimes more on the trails and I commute daily at least 10-15 miles depending on my chosen route
So it was to much hassle
If like yourself the change over frequency is a lot less it would be ok
I personally chose too not bother and just put up with extra tyre wear
Each to there own thou
I just wanted the op to be aware of the potential pit falls before they shelled out a load of money
👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles