What to do with a dead mondraker dusk RR shimano e8000

jezhumphrey75

Mar 27, 2023
cornwall
sadly my brilliant e8000 powered mondraker dusk rr has died with a few motor errors according to the shop.

a really high spec bike but i cant and will not pay £950 pounds for a new motor.

so whats the bike worth as spares or repairs please.

thankyou.

Last edited:

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Best thing you can do is break it all into parts and sell them off separately
As you wont get much for a non working bike in my opinion, others may come with a better solution and have a different idea but thats how i would do it with a non working bike (y)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
If the bearing man cant fix it then it's a new motor.
They don't touch the Shimano's unfortunately.

sadly my brilliant ep8 powered mondraker dusk rr
If it's an EP8,it can't be that old. Might be worth chasing directly with Shimano/Madison to see if they will honour the warranty still. Whilst Shimano will generally do anything possible to avoid warrantying motors/batteries there also seem to have been a few exceptions to the rule.

jezhumphrey75

Mar 27, 2023
cornwall
They don't touch the Shimano's unfortunately.

If it's an EP8,it can't be that old. Might be worth chasing directly with Shimano/Madison to see if they will honour the warranty still. Whilst Shimano will generally do anything possible to avoid warrantying motors/batteries there also seem to have been a few exceptions to the rule.
ive just messaged shimano...apparently Madison have said the motor has been tampered with a 3rd party app, but i have never done this nor was the bike derestricted so i have no idea what are they on about.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
ive just messaged shimano...apparently Madison have said the motor has been tampered with a 3rd party app, but i have never done this nor was the bike derestricted so i have no idea what are they on about.
That seems to be one of their main get out excuses .. you can only stick to your guns. Obviously if the motors set at 32kph (US) then it's clearly been adjusted, if not there's no way they can tell. It just connects via bluetooth to e-tube or whatever.

jezhumphrey75

Mar 27, 2023
cornwall
could you tell me if thats the correct e8000 motor...fair bit less than the bike shop qouted, and can anybody confirm if its just plug and play???

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I've got a new E8000 kicking about which I bought to upgrade my 7000 but never did if interested? I think it may need programming, but not 100%.

If you do break your bike though, I may be interested in the motor covers to finally get around to doing the conversion

jezhumphrey75

Mar 27, 2023
cornwall
I've got a new E8000 kicking about which I bought to upgrade my 7000 but never did if interested? I think it may need programming, but not 100%.

If you do break your bike though, I may be interested in the motor covers to finally get around to doing the conversion
decided to atleast repair it and sell it lol

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz

For € 879.95, I would put a new one, it is not difficult. With etuning app you can fine-tune

Stormy 107

Jun 22, 2019
Yarm
Remember if you put an ep800 in you'll need new speed sensor, new power switch, new toggle switch and computer as the ep8 has different sized cable connectors.

franciscoasismm

May 31, 2021
Badajoz
Also for 590€, I would put this bargain, no guarantee. With etuning app you can fine-tune

Motor Shimano Steps DU-E8000

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles