Levo Gen 2 What shock or linkage for a 2020 Levo that will reduce side loading

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
So my FOX X2 has needed another £200+ of repairs (2nd time in 2 years) due to excessive wear caused by the Levo's linkage design side loading the shock

FOX UK and TFTuned have said they are seeing this quite a bit on the gen 2 Levo's

This time i needed a new inner air can, damper shaft, yearly service and a whole new casting including the Kashima tube as there was a crack that was leaking oil near the compression and rebound knobs after just over 40 hours of use since last years service (last year was just a inner air can, damper shaft and service after 80 hours of use)

Luckily FOX UK had a good used spare casting they fitted for free as otherwise it would of been a £400+ repair this year

So are there any shocks or linkages out there which would help reduce the side loading and the damage?

Also would running the shock in the lower setting on the linkage reduce the loading at all?

• Wow
Reactions: Dax

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
thats brutal but makes me wonder how the OEM shocks suffer ?
I have a 2020 levo and its still on original shock, I service it regularly and its still in top shape..
so is it a spesh or fox x2 problem ?

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I’m no expert but I have a suspicion that the shock to link bolt on some of these bikes may not be done up tight enough. I always tightened mine up proper tight as any movement in this would almost certainly cause these failures.
Never had a shock issue (Kenevo/Levo) and I ran 20+mm extra rear travel on my bikes. Various shocks too.

Just a thought

Christox

Aug 12, 2020
Freiburg/ Germany
I also blasted my X2 in the Levo 22 after a few weeks. The Inner aircan was loosen, air leakage and seals already grinded down.

--> Spherical bearings are your solution to prevent from too high sideloads. Speci had them in OEM Öhlins TTX22M in the Kenevo gen1. There were no problems with this OEM setup until Speci went from Öhlins to other cheaper shocks without spherical bearing and with Alloy shaft for the gen2 model.
This was the reason why i use the TTX22M with spherical bearing in the Levo 22 and my Stumpi Evo 22 without problems.

Best regards,

Chris

rzr

Sep 26, 2022
bcn
It's not caused by one asymetrical strut, especially that shock (lower mount) can rotate inside the yoke.
It's the yoke that make the extension of a shock and put more bending forces (up and down).
Problem exists from the first yokes. Specialized Demo 8 2011, which was snapping coil shock with standard/thin shaft exactly in the same way...
ewsatexuddu91.jpg

IMG_1166_480x480.jpg

311268.jpg

vid:

old Demo 8
p4pb9193905.jpg

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles