What mods and alterations to personalise you emtb?

E

EddieJ

That is a tough one.

One advantage that you might have, is that you could use a lower power setting for possibly the same gain.

In respect of climbing walls, I have been caught out and looped the bike three times now when using eMTB mode to pull away on steep inclines. If you happen to to stop in say first or second gear, the torque when pulling away again, can quite easily catch you out. If pulling away in say first or second, you might find that pulling away in either eco is the best way.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK
That is a tough one.

One advantage that you might have, is that you could use a lower power setting for possibly the same gain.

In respect of climbing walls, I have been caught out and looped the bike three times now when using eMTB mode to pull away on steep inclines. If you happen to to stop in say first or second gear, the torque when pulling away again, can quite easily catch you out. If pulling away in say first or second, you might find that pulling away in either eco is the best way.
Hey Eddie

I know from old (Pedelec forum) that you are not a fan of Bosch's E-mtb mode, but I honestly have never had an issue with it and still think it's the best thing about the whole motor. I know you don't but each to our own :)

TBH I really am hoping that my new Shimano motor will offer the same, or maybe an even more, adaptive power delivery in it's trail mode. But I will have to wait a bit longer yet to find out...................38 days and counting :(

How's your new Purion display? has it arrived yet :)

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
My new levo has been treated to set of lyrics and a lighter wheelset with magic mary/knobby nick tyres

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The downside of that design of mudguard is that it creates a trap for mud and twigs to collect at the seat stay area.

I'm not a fan of mudguards, but made my own version of the one that you have linked to, as I felt that it had a couple of design issues.
Firtsly it mounts to the inner face of the seat stay, not the outer. Instantly there is about 20mm of mud clearance lost.
Secondly, it doesn't mount/ wrap around the rear of the seat stay, so strength is lost.

Mine obviously wasn't by any means pretty, but it was certainly more functional. It mounted on the outer face, and also wrapped around the rear.

I would further add, that if you going to mount one, add some helitape or similar first to protect the frame.

From this photo, you can see what I mean about the seat stay area becoming a place to trap mud.

DSCF0621_zpsgebg1qde.jpg

The Scud Launcher as it became known! The clever thing about this design, was that the last 100mm or so where it flips down, could be quickly removed. A later mod, was to mount an old Topeak front guard behind the seat stay, so protecting the rear shock area.

cc4.jpg
The midhugger
The downside of that design of mudguard is that it creates a trap for mud and twigs to collect at the seat stay area.

I'm not a fan of mudguards, but made my own version of the one that you have linked to, as I felt that it had a couple of design issues.
Firtsly it mounts to the inner face of the seat stay, not the outer. Instantly there is about 20mm of mud clearance lost.
Secondly, it doesn't mount/ wrap around the rear of the seat stay, so strength is lost.

Mine obviously wasn't by any means pretty, but it was certainly more functional. It mounted on the outer face, and also wrapped around the rear.

I would further add, that if you going to mount one, add some helitape or similar first to protect the frame.

From this photo, you can see what I mean about the seat stay area becoming a place to trap mud.

DSCF0621_zpsgebg1qde.jpg

The Scud Launcher as it became known! The clever thing about this design, was that the last 100mm or so where it flips down, could be quickly removed. A later mod, was to mount an old Topeak front guard behind the seat stay, so protecting the rear shock area.

cc4.jpg
think you have misunderstood the mudhugger it mounts on top of the seat stays not inside so your width is the only limiting factor . I can’t think of any other effective mudguard that works with a full suspension bike with a dropper post .

E

EddieJ

The midhugger

think you have misunderstood the mudhugger it mounts on top of the seat stays not inside so your width is the only limiting factor . I can’t think of any other effective mudguard that works with a full suspension bike with a dropper post .

These two photos below, clearly show it mounted to the inside of the seat stays, and even a fold down lip above the tyre. Neither are an ideal design.

My design shown above, mounted to the outer of the chainstay, and did not have the mud catching lip.

1378389058786-6ld2mgbksral-630-354.jpg nx2_rearhugger2_pic1_942b8c7d-ca83-4976-9f58-41f03ecad09f_480x480.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
These two photos below, clearly show it mounted to the inside of the seat stays, and even a fold down lip above the tyre. Neither are an ideal design.

My design shown above, mounted to the outer of the chainstay, and did not have the mud catching lip.

View attachment 333 View attachment 334
That’s on top of he stay not inside , it’s still allowing way more clearance than the stays . That one is fitted very close to the tyre but that’s your choice . We have 3 of them on different bikes , in thick mud there’s problems elsewhere long before the mudhugger blocks up ,if it got that bad you would be pushing it

E

EddieJ

I stand corrected.

Personally, I still can't see why anyone would want to reduced mud and debris clearance, but I guess that conditions vary from location to location, so what would work it one area of the country, wouldn't work in another. Certainly in my neck of the woods, the mix of clay and leaves, pretty much prevents the use of any low mudguard, and I don't know of anyone around here that has a mudguard fitted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
As I said Eddie your seat stays and chainstays fit closer , if conditions are that bad you will be stopped long before this mudguard becomes a problem . I actually fitted mine to the Levo test bike I had with fat 2.8 tyres deliberately tried the bike in mud that I would not be able to pedal a normal bike through , it didn’t block up .
I do notice lots of mtb riders think mudguards are uncool , my daughter and her fella being among them , personally I think having my back and backpack covered in wet mud and getting very cold and wet is uncool , not to mention the extra wear from extra grit and mud everywhere . But they tell me Iam old and square , which i see as teenage speak for using my common sense and caring about my kit .
I have got them using crud catchers and mud hugger mudguards up front , I think they agree they are more cool than being blinded by mud and losing a race ? but Iam losing the fight with the rear at times

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
As I said Eddie your seat stays and chainstays fit closer , if conditions are that bad you will be stopped long before this mudguard becomes a problem . I actually fitted mine to the Levo test bike I had with fat 2.8 tyres deliberately tried the bike in mud that I would not be able to pedal a normal bike through , it didn’t block up .
I do notice lots of mtb riders think mudguards are uncool , my daughter and her fella being among them , personally I think having my back and backpack covered in wet mud and getting very cold and wet is uncool , not to mention the extra wear from extra grit and mud everywhere . But they tell me Iam old and square , which i see as teenage speak for using my common sense and caring about my kit .
I have got them using crud catchers and mud hugger mudguards up front , I think they agree they are more cool than being blinded by mud and losing a race but Iam losing the fight with the rear at times

That must mean I’m young too
I have Mud Huggers on the front of my MTB’s but the rear is sat in a box unused so far!!

Kernow

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Your all to young for sure ? I can tell by the excuses offered , fact is they just don’t look cool to young riders so any excuse will do ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles