What grips

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
I’m getting ready for some new grips
What’s your recommendations
Revgrips totally out for me although they do sound good they are way out of my price rage.
So just normal grips please

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am a big fan of the Ergon range of grips, I have GD1’s and GE1’s on my bikes - the GE1’s are slightly contoured and very comfy on longer rides

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
People will only recommend what they have lol. There's so many, depends on your hand size and if you prefer thick or thin grips, minimalist or textured, shaped or straight. I'd suggest getting down to your lbs first to narrow it down.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you ride gloveless at all steer well clear of ergons. slightest moisture betwen your skin and those things and they're lethal.
If you ride gloveless all the time sensus disisdaboss or Lites are hands down (see what I did there?) the best gloveless grips ever made.
Can't really help you if you wear gloves as I almost never do.
what do you use just now? and what do you like most about them? (or is there anything you don't?)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have the GE1 Evo's which a fair bit tackier than the standard ones, but not cheap at about 30quid.

I go in and out of using Deathgrips too, the thin soft ones, I just find they get mullered pretty easily, I also cut off the lower part of the flange at it annoys me when reaching for controls.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Was chatting to a mate's son yesterday (pretty handy young local rider/digger) about grips and we both came to the conclusion we didn't understand the design idea behind Deathgrips. Yeah the compound's soft and grippy but the actual patern doesn't really make much sense.
It's almost as if the DMR boys (Bren and Oly) looked at ruffians/waffle ruffians and sensus grips and said "yeah lets have a bit of all 3 and add a flange. Flanges are rad aren't they?". "yeah rad!"
Only the ribbed section is in the wrong place (it's great at wicking sweat from palms but instead they've put it in for thumb rest comfort. the waffle part of waffle ruffians was never particualrly useful anyway and although it's sort of fine in most circumstances there's absoloutely nothing remarkable about the ruffian file patern.
Everyone else we know with them who rates them always wears gloves though.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
People will only recommend what they have lol.
Why would people recommend anything else that works for them? lol ?
I used a bunch of other grips before I ended up finding the ones that I like the best. But grips are a personal preference just like saddles pedals etc. and it takes a couple of tries until you find the 'one'.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
When I use death grips my hands sit at the end of the bars, i.e don't touch the waffle - I am a sucker for a flange but its too big on them, the one on the GD1's is pretty minimal and not noticeable when riding except for using to locate your hands if needed

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have always wanted to try these, but never got round to it - ODI Elite Pro

Screenshot 2018-12-20 at 19.55.40.png

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
As mentioned already grips are so much a personal preference thing, There are a few things to look out for though
1) do you like thin or thick grips
2) do you want lock on or stick on
3) if lock on do you want just one lock on collar or two (the idea with one is that if you run you hands right at the end of the bars the collar doesn't get in the way of comfort)

My recommendations. I run ODI Rogues it is a thicker grip with lock on collars at both ends.

If you want a thinner grip try the Burgtec Bartender grips with just one lock on and a tapered bor to stop the grip moving.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
I always wear gloves all season even summer sweaty palms and comes from riding mx for years so I do tend to go for an mx style grip (waffle pattern )like on renthal grips.
I do have ruff ass shovel hands too so was considering a thicker diameter grip.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
there is a trend at the moment for thin grips, though how much of this is because thats what the cool kids use so they must be best or because people actually do prefer thin grips.
I would be interested to know everyone's opinion as to thin or thick and why. purely cause im intrigued.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I like thinner grips because I ride with gloves all year round, and especially at this time of year when wearing slightly thicker gloves I find I don't feel like I can get a proper "grab" on the bars with a thicker grip. If riding gloveless I would want a thicker grip personally

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I always wear gloves all season even summer sweaty palms and comes from riding mx for years so I do tend to go for an mx style grip (waffle pattern )like on renthal grips.
I do have ruff ass shovel hands too so was considering a thicker diameter grip.
ODI Rouge
Thick, and good dampening.
They have double lock on collars, and I smack trees all the time and never lost a end cap. Solid robust construction.
Read the reviews online.

9C6597D3-D5AF-48B0-ABAB-23CB6D303C8E.jpeg

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Yeah that's one of the things I like about the ergots it that they are just a normal grip, some of the thin grips are little more than a sliver of rubber, and some of the fatter grips are massive.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
there is a trend at the moment for thin grips, though how much of this is because thats what the cool kids use so they must be best or because people actually do prefer thin grips.
I would be interested to know everyone's opinion as to thin or thick and why. purely cause im intrigued.
Where do you see it as being a trend?

For me with pretty standard adult sized hands ( size 10/L in gloves). thinner grips allow better fine control and feel. But also cause less arm pump been on nothing thicker than a 28mm grip all my life so it's definitely nothing fashion orientated for me.
I am pretty cool though. ;)

giphy.gif

:D

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
3) if lock on do you want just one lock on collar or two (the idea with one is that if you run you hands right at the end of the bars the collar doesn't get in the way of comfort)
I not only ride with my hands at the end of the bars I actually overhang my palm and pinkie over the grip ends. The Sensus disisdaboss grips have a lock on collar cover built into the gips rubber and I find this the best outer section I've ever used for feel at the end of the bars.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Where do you see it as being a trend?

For me with pretty standard adult sized hands ( size 10/L in gloves). thinner grips allow better fine control and feel. But also cause less arm pump been on nothing thicker than a 28mm grip all my life so it's definitely nothing fashion orientated for me.
I am pretty cool though. ;)

giphy.gif

:D
I found at the local bike shop there used to be a range of grips with different widths, but more and more its mostly thinner grips that are stocked. This is because thats what customers require. When talking to customers in the shop and with friends it seems to be a about a 80/20 split in favour of thin grips.
comfort tends to be a reason both types of customer say as a reason they like their personnel preference. Thin grippers state they feel they have more control and are in contact with the bike.
fattieys say its absorbs the bumps better and there hands don't hurt as much.
It does seem to be more of a trend towards thinner now than a few years ago. but in all fairness this might be because im noticing it now and never payed it that much attention before.

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
I much prefer grips with a bit of a wrist rest, so Ergon GP1 grips for me. Kind of an acquired taste, but I can't ride with anything else anymore.
ErgonGP1Grips.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles