What’s going to F you up more ?

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I’m getting old, and not bouncing like I used to. I do a variety of riding, but don’t go as far as full down hill, crazy speeds and gap jumps. I don’t break bones, they are strong, but cuts abrasions and ligament damage are common.

What’s going to F you up more, slow techie riding, or faster flighty riding ?

I tend to forget my accidents over the years, but looking at tailoring my riding to reduce the risks these days.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I think the high speed flight crashes are going to mess you up more, but low speed tech crashes could still see you tumbling down a cliff or face planting a tree.

This has got to sting:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Unless you’re doing some serious riding in no fall zones it’s got to be the big air bad landing crashes that will mess you up the most.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Unless you’re doing some serious riding in no fall zones it’s got to be the big air bad landing crashes that will mess you up the most.
So I do a bit of high speed stuff with air time, and slow techy stuff, like 38meter log roll with 6ft drop into broken sticks and branches and crap. As well as a host of other stuff.

So i’m Pretty well screwed if I come off aye ?

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
All my broken bones have been slow techy stuff, last fast “off” I had I remember getting up and thinking “ how did I get away with that?”..... next morning however I was aching!

Reactions: Dax

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
All my broken bones have been slow techy stuff, last fast “off” I had I remember getting up and thinking “ how did I get away with that?”..... next morning however I was aching!
I guess if the first thing that hits the ground in a high speed crash is your head and you get knocked out. Your body would just go limp and you’d fair pretty good.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
i think it depends on the terrain - if you are riding in heavily wooded area with lots of exposed stumps and branches then any kind off off is going to be painful - whereas if you case a jump in the bike park where the landing area is well maintained and obstacle free you have room to roll/slide out.

Worst injuries i have seen are always in more off piste situations where even a relatively innocuous looking off has resulted in bad injury due to a rock/tree etc being in the path of the fall.

Reactions: Dax

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My worst high speed was a superman on a gravel track. I could not wear long trousers or long sleeved anything without dressings for almost two weeks.

Most of my more painful and long lasting injuries have been slow speed where the energy all went into the initial impact instead of being dissipated over a rolling or sliding cascade. My luckiest escape was just stepping off a rock and my leg disappearing into a hole hidden by the bracken. A broken thigh was the prospect if I continued to fall sideways, so I used my cat like agility ( :LOL: ) to twist sideways and land backwards. The back of my knee hit the edge of a large rock and folded nicely, but the back of my trail helmet hit another rock, also hidden by the bracken. I was stunned for a few seconds, but was able to get back on my feet after I'd shifted the bike off me (CF clockwork). The only damage was the broken helmet. If I'd been seriously hurt, only a helicopter or dogs would have found me as I was hidden by the bracken. I'd stepped up onto the rock to see where the trail was as I had gone off course, so I wasn't even on the trail where another rider might have found me by riding into me!

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
If I'd been seriously hurt, only a helicopter or dogs would have found me as I was hidden by the bracken. I'd stepped up onto the rock to see where the trail was as I had gone off course, so I wasn't even on the trail where another rider might have found me by riding into me!

For this reason it's worth attaching a whistle to your pack. Far more effective than shouting.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've already got one! Its fastened to the shoulder strap of my backpack, so I can reach it easily (no fumbling around in the pockets upon which I might be lying).

But you have to be conscious to use it!

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
If I'd been seriously hurt, only a helicopter or dogs would have found me as I was hidden by the bracken. I'd stepped up onto the rock to see where the trail was as I had gone off course, so I wasn't even on the trail where another rider might have found me by riding into me!

For this reason it's worth attaching a whistle to your pack. Far more effective than shouting.
If u are biking on your own, goes without saying you need to let someone know your plans.
Also you can use Beacon Buddy on Viewranger app to auto update your location every minute, that way your mate can check your last known whereabouts e.g. beside the big rock hidden in the bracken.
Or bring a PLB, I do. (And whistle)

Pottsy

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Yes those online tracking apps are great that people can see if there's been no movement for some time. As are the map apps, forgotten name, it gives a current grid reference at the touch of a button if you need to contact emergency services.

Whistle is def. a good idea. I also have 'Spot 3' that I use on backcountry rides. My wife and friends can follow my route on google maps and I have an SOS button if needed.
I don't go balls out on trails these days but have had a few 'slow motion' falls.
Recently fell of the steep side of a switchback and ended up upside down in a bush - like a bug on its back!

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
Going e-bike has brought a new kind of crash to my already substantial crash portfolio....... going up a steep techy climb I got my front wheel stuck between 2 big roots, tipped sideways and expected a gentle sideways fall, but the gradient was steeper than expected and I went backwards back down the slope and luckily not contacting with trees or rocks...... more bruising tho...... fek!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've had similar, but went over the bars as the bike stopped dead at the crest of the climb. My landing zone looked pretty benign but I managed to dead leg myself on the only tree stump in range... :mad:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles