Wetherby RED KITE MTB route, not much Gnarl but Great Ride [video]

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Wetherby Redkite Trail is a muddy place to ride in November, but lets saddle up and do this and enjoy this 26 miler in the drizzle and fog. Welcome to Boots on the Ground UK EMTB youtube channel. If you want to go exploring on your bike, the Wetherby Red Kite route is a good shout.

It’s a sign-posted 27-mile route that brings together some of Leeds’ best bridleways and roads for mountain biking. You can split it into three. The Starling route is a leisurely ride along easy paths around Thorpe Arch and Boston Spa, while The Owl route takes a fairly hilly circular track around the Hare wood House Estate.

Alternatively, you could try the main Red Kite route – it’s an extensive 20-mile route that takes you on well-trodden bridleways as you ride through the likes of Wood Hall, Ox Close Woods and Hetchell Woods. The Wetherby Red Kite MTN trail, takes in Farmland, singletrack, streams, forest and some very muddy emtb trails.

In this video we look at the route, some of the interesting things along the way, and I will give you a review of riding your bike at the Wetherby Redkite trail and route.

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
Good video, as you say doesn't really test the Allmtn 7, we have hit some really challenging singletrack where it really comes alive and you know why you spent all that money to have great suspension and frame geometry, but a nice route never the less. I get up to Yourshite quite a lot so may bring my bike next time i'm up and give it a go; if nothing else to get some more miles on it. I also use the Worx jet washer, fab bit of kit I have hooked up some extra large batteries as the small ones limit the capacity, and if the bike is minging struggles to have enough power to clean it well.

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
You got the same bike?

Yep Love it, and once you get the suspension tuned it it is absolutely great on the rocks and roots and singletrack downhill is almost an orgasmic experience lol. We were out in grizedale forest before lockdown and had a fab time. We are out tomorrow in the new forest doing some single track and forest trails I might get my gopro out and record some of it as last weekend was fab when we were out there. The plan is long term to use for some off road touring, singletrack playing, but also get in some bike packing adventures with lightweight camping as well.

Last edited:

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
Yep Love it, and once you get the suspension tuned it it is absolutely great on the rocks and roots and singletrack downhill is almost an orgasmic experience lol.
I'm still playing with Tire pressure and rear pressure in shocks I'm 13 stone. Think rear pressure is 130 bar. Still at 30 Sag not sure how much more to put in.. And tires at 24 psi. Next time your Yorkshire bound gimmi a nod come along for a yt recorded ride ;)

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
The rear shock will take 350 psi, so 130 bar is way too high, you will run the risk of buggering the shock if you are actually running that pressure, that is over 1800 psi, i think you may have mixed up psi with bar. I have found that while psi is important rebound settings are just as important, and the need to make sure the front is equally well set up is just as important. When i was racing Motor Cross and enduro suspension setup was the difference between winning and losing, similar applies to MTB.

BOTG

Oct 28, 2020
Edo
170 psi in rear shock
70 Psi in front shock
Sound about about right?

RichardHawes

Oct 11, 2020
Southampton uk
170 psi in rear shock
70 Psi in front shock
Sound about about right?

Yep way too low i would be putting in about 100psi in the front, and i would go for about 200psi in the back as a starting point, then set the sag according to Fox's guide in the post above. Make sure you use a proper shock pump though I have seen others try and do it with air bottles or dive compressors, very dangerous. A tyre pressure of 24psi woudl also be abit low for me, i never usually run less than 35psi to avoid punctures or pinch flats, too soft a tyre will also cause considerable drag, grip wont change much unless your on really slippery rocks or running stupidly high pressures.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles