Well I ordered a Sur Ron

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
Emtb ruined me for regular bikes but I only ever ride in turbo now and I will want more power lotta the time. So I order a Sur Ron, will see if it ruins me for emtb. I got used to the weight of my full fat pretty quick, but this thing is 100 pounds so will see how I take to it. I think acoustic riders dont like ebikers and im sure ebikers dont like emoto lites but I will report back if sur rons are where its at hahaha

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
Have owned one for a couple of months. Mostly using it to ride urban canals and other
urban cruises so far. Very little dirt on it to this point (also have a dirt bike).
Still ride my Levo as much as always. Entirely different animals….

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
From a UK perspective dont ride it at trailcentres, bikeparks or on bridleways. In fact there isn't really anywhere these can be ridden in the UK apart from private land, unless it's a road registered one.
Doesn't stop the chavs though unfortunately.
Maybe different in other countries?
They do look like good fun on a private track thought, as do petrol motorbikes.

Last edited:

andyb2

Jan 10, 2020
somerset
From a UK perspective dont ride it at trailcentres, bikeparks or on bridleways. In fact there isn't really anywhere these can be ridden in the UK apart from private land, unless it's a road registered one
Doesn't stop the chavs though unfortunately.
Maybe different in other countries?
They do look like good fun on a private track.

There are green lanes (although they're getting reclassified quickly, and one of the reasons I went from motorbikes to emtb)

edit: I missed your point about being road registered

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
its an actual sur ron which comes with low end parts so i will be doing fairly extensive upgrades. still will be less money than my ebike even though battery is 3 times the size, go figure

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
Why not a Talaria?
it was a tough choice tbh. i would have like ride both but they dont sell these where i live. the talaria has a shorter wheelbase by 40mm and they are both short, that was a big factor. the extra 25 pounds on the talaria and also the seat seems to be angled weirdly. its a bit of gamble cause i do love my ebike, but the youtube videos of the modded surrons jibbin around really convinced me to want to give one a shot

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
I wish the bogans near me had them. At least when they’re tearing up the local reserve illegally, I wouldn’t have to listen to it.

Reactions: Dax

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
So you don't have to!

bogan
/ˈbəʊɡ(ə)n/

noun
DEROGATORY•INFORMAL

1. an uncouth or unsophisticated person regarded as being of low social status.
    "some bogans yelled at us from their cars"

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
what is the range on the batts on these going flat out ?

I've been running it on relatively flat urban ground (gravel, dirt, pavement, etc.)
Average overall speed about 20-25mph, including some short runs on city streets at 40-45mph.
I can get about 40-45 miles from a charge. Stock bike & tires.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
I have had it for a couple months and have done a bunch of upgrades most notably Bomber58 forks and float x2 shock. I totally love the thing, it is super easy to ride and can handle anything mountain bikes would. If you like your electric mtb you will love these things.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I have had it for a couple months and have done a bunch of upgrades most notably Bomber58 forks and float x2 shock. I totally love the thing, it is super easy to ride and can handle anything mountain bikes would. If you like your electric mtb you will love these things.

I thought long and hard about getting my son one of these - the road legal version. We live on a few acres, and are close enough to the bush that I could blast around on one instead of my overweight 650 cc adv bike. I suspect the neighbors would prefer the sur ron to the ktm 450 I ended up getting him, but at 6'4" he's a bit tall for a sur ron.

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
I thought long and hard about getting my son one of these - the road legal version. We live on a few acres, and are close enough to the bush that I could blast around on one instead of my overweight 650 cc adv bike. I suspect the neighbors would prefer the sur ron to the ktm 450 I ended up getting him, but at 6'4" he's a bit tall for a sur ron.
You should have gotten him a Stark Varg for a full moto those things look amazing. This sur ron i have been riding on some mtb trails and its super fun, not a problem where I live the trails dont see hardly any use rarely see anyone out there. The one downside I see to them is they end up being pretty expensive once you mod them up which I suspect most people end up doing. But yeah not having that loud motor is a huge plus for cruising around the neighborhood and trails for sure

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
You should have gotten him a Stark Varg for a full moto those things look amazing. This sur ron i have been riding on some mtb trails and its super fun, not a problem where I live the trails dont see hardly any use rarely see anyone out there. The one downside I see to them is they end up being pretty expensive once you mod them up which I suspect most people end up doing. But yeah not having that loud motor is a huge plus for cruising around the neighborhood and trails for sure

Trouble is, he's 13 yo ...so waiting 12-18 months for a stark wasn't going to happen!

Plus the lighter weight of the sur ron appealed to me - switching between his 110 kg ktm and his 12 kg giant isn't going so well....one day he's muscling around the KTM, next day he's wondering why the giant is bouncing off the trail :ROFLMAO:

Slowroller

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018
Wyoming
for me I love speed and I’m trying to enjoy my pension for as many years as possible. also Moto is more expensive. Track days trailers service fuel tires. That blows MTB out of the water quick. I can ride my mtb from my house if I want and I haven’t noticed the electricity cost change.

Those are all the reasons lots of dirt bikers are selling their ICE bikes and buying Sur Rons or the equivalent. So much simpler and easier.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I mean if you have other means to keep you fit and are not a tax on the social system by being disgustingly fat then buy a full on dirt bike brother.

for me I love speed and I’m trying to enjoy my pension for as many years as possible. also Moto is more expensive. Track days trailers service fuel tires. That blows MTB out of the water quick. I can ride my mtb from my house if I want and I haven’t noticed the electricity cost change.

Same. I sold my KTM 300 2T and KTM 350 4T recently - it was a tough decision, but I decided I wanted to be able to ride MTBs and eMTBs for many years to come, and the crashes on the moto were starting to take their toll. Plus it's a full day adventure around here, having to drive nearly two hours each way for good (legal) trails. I honestly don't miss them us much as I'd thought. Riding the Levo at the limit on some of our trails is good enough to get the adrenaline to 11.

Jdz

Jan 2, 2022
LHC
My ten year old and I both have one of these for about a year now no issues so far, lots of fun! Not on bike trails we ride around the neighborhood and lots of open desert trails. Great to bring camping also.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles