Weird question...

ianc

Sep 28, 2022
canada
I'm in the market and my local shops have limited inventory but I'm wondering about batteries, and the battery cover. If I were to ride without the battery and just pedal with no power, can battery covers be reinstalled on the bike or are they fixed to the battery, and I'd have to ride around with a hole in my downtube? lol
Not planning to do this often but I'd like to know either way, as some models it seems like there's no cover at all. Thanks!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It all depends on the bike. They use different systems.

If you really wanted to ride around with no cover, just wrap some cling film around the frame to seal it up temporarily.

ianc

Sep 28, 2022
canada
It all depends on the bike. They use different systems.

If you really wanted to ride around with no cover, just wrap some cling film around the frame to seal it up temporarily.
Thanks. Purpose is to ride around with the stock cover if I ever wanted to ride without a battery...

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
If you state what bike you got then I’m sure someone will tell you ! I’ve a kenevo and have a battery cover that will also fit a 19/20/21 Levo !

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I'm in the market and my local shops have limited inventory but I'm wondering about batteries, and the battery cover. If I were to ride without the battery and just pedal with no power, can battery covers be reinstalled on the bike or are they fixed to the battery, and I'd have to ride around with a hole in my downtube? lol
Not planning to do this often but I'd like to know either way, as some models it seems like there's no cover at all. Thanks!
The 2022 Giant Trances also have a battery compartment cover which can be used without the battery - good for when you want to carry your bike on a rack but want to remove the weight of the battery.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
Most recent Merida bikes are like that too (the ones with the battery IN the downtube). Always keep them without their batteries inside so we can charge them in the house and travel without the weight of them on the rack.

doninss.53

Sep 28, 2022
nevada usa
Rocky Mountain Powerplays (2022) also have battery doors rather than covers. If you fabricated an idler sprocket, it appears you'd actually be able to ride without a motor or a battery. Big CG change I would imagine though (as with no battery.)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles