Wearing out a rear shock in 60 miles

Rmh1

Nov 27, 2022
Uk
Giant reign e+3 is only 8 months old and I have gone through 2 rear shocks. Both worn in the exact same place, right hand side lower slide tube.
First one I put down to getting grit into the seals, second one went after about 60 miles, so now I'm thinking that the bike is twisted.
There's been no major crashes, chips, scratches, scrapes, or dinks, nothing to cause a frame to get twisted, so assuming that the bike has always been like this.
Up to now the bike shop are refusing to help.
Has anyone ever come across this before?
Rear shock is lasting 3 rides.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Could be right about being twisted. Have you access to drop out aligner tools ?. Filing that find another shop and ask them to check the alignment.

Garybee

Feb 4, 2022
Vancouver BC
A video by Vorsprung Suspension on shock durabililty might help explain what is happening.

Seems that trunion mounts (like used on the Reign) have almost no play and hence can have trouble accounting for frame misalignment. So with a trunnion mount any frame misalingment would be more significant because the shock mount can not compensate for it.

The whole video is informative, but its long so i started it right where trunion mounts on e-bikes are mentioned.

Last edited:

Rmh1

Nov 27, 2022
Uk
UPDATE
After much arguing between the bike shop (J E James) and Giant, Giant have decided to send out a new frame, but have not admitted that the original one was twisted. First they were going to send a new rocker arm, as the old one was cracked, due to a collapsed bearing, but now, a complete new frame. They would not agree that this caused the damage to the two rear shocks, did the shock cause the bearing to go, or the bearing cause the shock to go??? Only time will tell, but shouldn't be any problems with a new frame, right?
Having a new frame sent is a good result, but keep in mind that when the problem was first brought to the attention of the bike shop, the bike was less than 6 months old.

Thanks for your comments of support on here.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles