We may need number plates!

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
A new law is being proposed in France that eScootets and eBikes capable of more than 6 kmph will have to be registered, insured and have number plates.
Anyone born after 2008 will have to take a test as well ( maybe excludes most of us!).
It hasn’t happened or been passed yet but if it does we may just follow along.

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
You would think that anything that can go over 6kph would need number plates with that reasoning and that includes people on foot!
I've heard it so many times here in Australia that cyclists need to be licenced and registered because they use the road and they get annoyed when stuck behind them.
The first argument is that we don't pay for the roads. They don't realise your registration only pays for insurance and stamp duty, not the roads. Your rates and taxes pay for roads.
The other argument is they need to be able to identify you so I reply, "sure, I'll register my bike and put a plate on it, and I'll ride in the middle of the road at 15kph, and you will just sit behind me, happy and content because I now am registered? Bullshit! You'll still be angry and want bikes off the road, it won't make any difference.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
the actual proposal is a bout E Scooters following an ever increasing number of accidents involving them in French cities............the inclusion of ebikes ( those that exceed the 250w/20kph pedelec specification already need to be registered etc in France) is media speculation because some small parts of the French multi party system would like that to be the case.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
A new law is being proposed in France that eScootets and eBikes capable of more than 6 kmph will have to be registered,
That's walking speed..... must be an early April fools
also amuses me ebikes are limited currently to 15.5mph barely faster than an Olympic marathon runner.

The Olympic men's record is 2:06:32, (average speed about 12.43 miles per hour)

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
Pointless of course being a subjective quantity. Far as I'm concerned, we could learn a thing or two when it comes to sticking it to a rotten government off the old garlicky neighbours.(y)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
To include ebikes in the proposed legislation for e scooters would require complete revision of the existing pedelec regulations and there is no sign of any intention to do that.
Interestingly the 6kph speed limit proposed for e scooters is the maximum walk assist speed for pedelecs.

Swiss Roll

Jul 28, 2021
Switzerland
its a song by the Clash...about American imperialism...........no idea how it relates to this thread!!
It's a quote from a movie called Apocalypse Now, and the meaning is, I highly doubt there are many e bike fans among the Gilets Jaunes, they are not exactly leftie eco freaks. Their interests lie more in the direction of reduced fuel duty, so they can continue to commute from their rural idyll to the town where the actual jobs are.

Peter Hill

Dec 31, 2018
Derbyshire
A new law is being proposed in France that eScootets and eBikes capable of more than 6 kmph will have to be registered, insured and have number plates.
Anyone born after 2008 will have to take a test as well ( maybe excludes most of us!).
It hasn’t happened or been passed yet but if it does we may just follow along.
Yet kids on e-scooters, and the like will still ride around illegally on roads and pavements at much higher speeds without paying a penny or passing a test!

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Yet kids on e-scooters, and the like will still ride around illegally on roads and pavements at much higher speeds without paying a penny or passing a test!
So true. Why even have laws, rules and regulations? Seems totally pointless!

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So true. Why even have laws, rules and regulations? Seems totally pointless!
A law is only effective if it is enforced!! But if the E Scooters are restricted to 6kph in terms of the their motor etc then enforcement is less needed. Riders could of course use some form of derestriction device but it would be pretty obvious and likely to be enforced pretty rigourously given the accident history in French cities.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles