france
2 holes, 2 threaded inserts

DSCF1754.JPG

djol

Feb 28, 2022
Tasmania, Australia
@patdam, awesome work! 👏

Two questions:

1. How did you manage to get a drill into that tight space on the underside of the top-tube?

2. What kind of threaded insert did you use? Over on bikepacking.com they describe using Rivnuts (on a steel fork) / though I wonder about this on a carbon frame...?

Thanks mate!

bram.biesiekierski

Apr 18, 2022
Perth WA Australia
@patdam, awesome work! 👏

Two questions:

1. How did you manage to get a drill into that tight space on the underside of the top-tube?

2. What kind of threaded insert did you use? Over on bikepacking.com they describe using Rivnuts (on a steel fork) / though I wonder about this on a carbon frame...?

Thanks mate!
You can get right angle drills, or 90° adapters to fit into regular drills. You could also cut an old jobber drill bit down to be shorter, or use a compact step drill.

As for the threaded inserts. Yes nut-serts / riv-nuts work. The tools also come I different styles. Obviously you would need a very short tool to fit.

The inserts come in a few varieties, like aluminium, steel and stainless. And different depth ranges, as well as flush mount / blind / etc. They all have pros and cons. I don't think your supposed to use aluminium on carbon frames because of galvanic corrosion.

Stainless doesn't rust, but the threads can gall up. Steel is the strongest, but can rust. Alloy are easy to set, but not the strongest.

mmcarm

Jun 14, 2022
California
Fidlock looks great for the XL but when I checked the printed out profile the 450ml wouldn't fit my Med E10. Didn't see smaller size Fidlocks. Any other suggestions appreciated. Only thing I can think of is under seat or trying to rig a 300ml/10oz size running water bottle with a strap.

skismith

Aug 6, 2019
Hinckley uk
Hi, i have an size large & a std water bottle will fit above the rear shock under the top tube, the cage is held in place with 2 zip ties through the cage & over the top tube. So a Fidlock which is smaller should fit a medium frame in that loccation,

Tricz

Oct 14, 2022
Poland
Hi, i have an size large & a std water bottle will fit above the rear shock under the top tube, the cage is held in place with 2 zip ties through the cage & over the top tube. So a Fidlock which is smaller should fit a medium frame in that loccation,
Can you add a picture of what it looks like ?

skismith

Aug 6, 2019
Hinckley uk
This is a std bottle cage , a side entry will give easer access when I’ve finished the bike I will also epoxy bond the cage for added strength (car panel adhesive) a fidlock 450 will give plenty of room and I emagine could be fixed the same way. A word of caution The adhesive mentioned is very resilient make sure you happy with the location before you glue as it brake the cage trying to remove it 😉

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles