Washing the Levo / Kenevo, battery in or out?

ElectricGuv

May 30, 2018
Australia
Before I make my first wash on the Kenevo, just wondering what's best, leaving the battery in or out?

I noticed when the battery is out, I can see a bit of the motor underneath inside the frame where it's open for a bit. Water could easily slip down there with the battery out.

Also if the battery is out, I'm going to have to cover the power connector to not get wet.

If the battery is in (and off of course), the plug should be shielding the connectors.

I'll only be washing with a low pressure garden hose.

Thoughts on best approach?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’ve cleaned it with battery in and out. No problems either way so far!

There’s something in the manual about washing it with battery. Let me see it I can find it...

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
From the Retailer Manual, everthing I can find regarding washing the bike. Seems that we should be washing the bike with the battery installed.

Washing Best Practice:
Wash the bike with the battery installed and with the harness plugged in. Since the connection is waterproof, washing the bike with the harness plugged in minimizes the chance of contamination in the contacts.

Is there any debris in the plug receptacle?
  • Ask about bike washing methods. Educate the rider to keep the harness plugged in when washing.
Do not use a pressure washer to clean the bicycle. The use of a pressure washer on the bearings or near the area of the chainring/ spider area will cause premature wear of the bearings and will void the warranty.
  • The Levo motor is a non-servicable component. Damage to the Levo motor bearings requires replacement of the entire motor unit. The most frequent cause of damage to the motor bearings is the use of a high pressure washer to clean the motor. This damage is not covered by warranty. Replacement cost of the Levo motor unit is in excess of $1000 USD.

Last edited:

junglie69

Mar 22, 2018
Warminster
I had the same dilemma, here’s what Specialized UK rider care say:

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your email, it's always great to hear from riders.

It is possible to use a low pressure garden type hose pipe to wash your bike. High pressure jetwash style bike cleaners should be avoided as they can blast water and debris into delicate mechanisms and electronics fitted to your bike. Alternatively, if you don't have access to a hosepipe, a bucket or washing up bowl can be used to rinse your machine after a rider. Sadly, we don't have a video that we can send but we do use Muc Off products to clean our test fleet bikes. Their website has lots of useful information on best practise for keeping your Levo clean;
Bicycle

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards,

Aeryn Parsons
Specialized UK
Rider Care/Brand Security

And:

Apologies for the delay in responding to your message.

Our bike fleet are always washed with the batteries installed and the electrical connections fully engaged. This helps guard the delicate connectors against moist or debris ingress.
If you ever found that you needed to clean the inside of the battery bay, regular wet wipes are usually quite effective for this application.

So a low pressure garden hose and muc off with the battery installed. I also have a widget fitted (alloy model only) to stop to much water and dirt accumulating in the motor housing, works so far.

007AE6CB-25EC-41CD-9C16-14F0223A6CDD.jpeg

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have to say with most modern bike cleaning detergents from Muc off and the like, a simple spray down of the bike from a garden hose, apply the detergent, leave for a couple o minutes, use your brush etc to agitate the dirt, and then rinse down with a garden hose does the job - i see no need for a jet washer.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Care should still be taken around bearings and electrical connectors though. Ask me how I know... :cry:

CjP

PRIME TIME
Subscriber
Jan 1, 2019
Everywhere
I’ve only ever used a battery Karcher, car wash pressure hose or the garden hose on wide spray.
Obviously care is taken around the motor area but otherwise hose that sucker down. I’ve ridden the bike through creek crossings, ridden in proper rain and had the whole bike brown (from mud) top to bottom.
I always clean it after every ride and oil the drivetrain up. Maybe once every 3 proper dirty rides I’ll pull off the motor covers and clean out any gunk but that has only collected mud in there once. That was a good day though!

Use common sense and don’t blast any water directly onto the motor or do it as quickly as possible.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles