Warranty issue (chain)

shalom.marom1

Nov 15, 2022
Israel
I have a 2022 Instinct bike, 4 month old that I ride about 400 KM (270 Mi), and the chain was broken in the middle of a regular drive.

Rocky Mountain dealer and the company support insist that the chain is not under warranty. the only parts under warranty are the parts in the warranty list, and I have to contact Shimano for it, what do you think about that? Do I have to contact any supplier for a defect in their part of the bike?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Unlikely the chain will be covered by anyone given unless you can prove it was defective-An engineers report probably costing hundreds. Otherwise the parameters of how a chain could have snapped would apply.

If for example you were in too high a gear on a hill and put too much pressure on to it, if you hadnt lubed it enough and it was rusty, or a number of other user based issues might apply.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Buy a new chain. According to Rocky Mountain's own warranty, it's covered for a year. OTOH, a chain is pennies, is it worth the aggravation to prove a point? Buy a new chain, ride the bike, vote with your wallet in future & avoid the brand.

Untitled.png

DHBR44

Apr 11, 2023
Canada
Hello... long time rider, first time poster!

Your chances of getting a chain covered under warranty are very slim, especially on a EMTB, and here's why: almost every broken chain is due to rider error in the form of a miss shift. On my standard mountain bike, I broke more chains in the first 3 years of riding than I have in the past 20. As I gained riding experience I became more efficient at many things, and shifting was definitely one of them, hence the reason for less chain failures.

I purchased my first Rocky Mountain Power Play 4 years ago... I broke the chain in the first two weeks. It was the first chain I'd broken in years. I'm guessing the reason for the failure is because of the torque that I wasn't familiar with on the emtb.

Happy to report I haven't had a chain failure in years... most likely because I understand the power delivery from the motor better now, thus making my shifting more crisp and efficient.

Obviously defective products happen, however in the case of chain, it's with my experience that failures occur when I make a mistake. After discussing this topic numerous times with other riders, most if not all, are in agreement on this.

You can almost eliminate this by better shifting habits and of course by choosing a higher quality chain.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
Asking to get a chain under warranty, especially at 270 miles is unreasonable. Wear parts should not be expected to be covered under warranty. Put a quick link in it and keep using it if you’re so inclined.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Asking to get a chain under warranty, especially at 270 miles is unreasonable. Wear parts should not be expected to be covered under warranty. Put a quick link in it and keep using it if you’re so inclined.
Everything still has an expected lifespan though and I'm sure a chains is greater than 270 miles.
Depends what consumer laws are like in your country, in the UK we could argue it wasn't fit for purpose and it would be on the manufacturer to prove otherwise.

Replacing he chain would likely be the cheaper option for them..
Chain stretch at 400miles sure, chain snapped at 270... no way... probably had a faulty link from he start

Streddaz

Jul 7, 2022
Tasmania
Everything still has an expected lifespan though and I'm sure a chains is greater than 270 miles.
Depends what consumer laws are like in your country, in the UK we could argue it wasn't fit for purpose and it would be on the manufacturer to prove otherwise.

Replacing he chain would likely be the cheaper option for them..
Chain stretch at 400miles sure, chain snapped at 270... no way... probably had a faulty link from he start
I've seen people with brand new chains on normal non-ebike break chains and it's usually from a poor shift. I have never seen a chain supplier state a range for their chains and to go through all that cost to chase a warrantee for a $50 part. It's not worth it.

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK
I have a 2022 Instinct bike, 4 month old that I ride about 400 KM (270 Mi), and the chain was broken in the middle of a regular drive.

Rocky Mountain dealer and the company support insist that the chain is not under warranty. the only parts under warranty are the parts in the warranty list, and I have to contact Shimano for it, what do you think about that? Do I have to contact any supplier for a defect in their part of the bike?
For the price of a replacement chain why miss out on your riding, just buy a chain, what's next, your tyres are looking shabby.

shalom.marom1

Nov 15, 2022
Israel
For the price of a replacement chain why miss out on your riding, just buy a chain, what's next, your tyres are looking shabby.
Don't warry, I bougth a new chain and replaced it, my concern is the idea that Rocky sent me to Shimano in case of problem with the chain. I bougth the full package from Rocky, and expect full service including all components from Rocky.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
and to go through all that cost to chase a warrantee for a $50 part. It's not worth it.
A google search suggests people have had chains warrantied and does it realy cost anything to take a few photos and send an email?
where the link snapped seems to dictate whether a warranty claim is successful or not.
The guy should be contacting Shimano though not the Dealer/Bike manufacturer, also buy a chain anyway... if you get a warranty use it as a spare

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles