Walk mode still flakey (improved with new firmware)

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
I tried my 2019 Expert for the first time yesterday. There are a few sections on my local trails where pushing up is required so I hoped walk mode would help but it was a very mixed bag. It fails to deliver a consistant level of assistance, sometimes I press the button and start pushing and after a wheel rev it works perfectly well, turning the crank to deliver about 6kmh with plenty of power to drive the bike up a steep gradient. Other times it seems to do nothing more than stop the bike rolling backwards for 20 yards or pushinh before finally waking up.

Also, if its working but the bike hits a grippy less steep bit it can move forward faster than I am ready and my finger lets the button depress for a second before re-engaging. However it then seems to dither again and barely moves.

I would be much happier if it always worked consistenly and I could dial the speed down to 4 or 5kmh as I am only using it on very steep rocky or rooty climbs, an upper limit of 6 is plenty. Note, this version of walk mode is much better than the comp demo bike I had a few weeks ago but still not great.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Sorry to hear this - can you post the display, motor and battery firmware versions please? Let's ensure that you're at the latest version first - then we can investigate further.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
If it takes 5 to 6 seconds to engage, it has old firmware.

Also try down shifting while you are holding down the walk button. Just like when you are riding up a hill, you do it easier in a lower gear.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Info -
Battery hardware 3.1
Battery firmware 2.3.1
Motor firmware 6.0.0
Display hardware A.1.0
Display firmware 13.a

The good news is that we can improve this for you - your bike just needs a firmware update from the retailer.

Display firmware should be at least 19b and motor firmware 6.1.0. When we started production some months ago the available motor firmware did not support Shuttle mode - hence each bike needs a firmware update by the retailer prior to hand-over. This firmware update greatly improves walk-assist, and activates the shuttle mode & acceleration response features within Mission Control. Whilst we did all we could to ensure retailers understood the importance of this firmware update, it could be that one or two bikes left stores without it. In their defense the new Levo is updated slightly differently to previous bikes and that may have caused confusion to a mechanic that missed the training or our reminder emails.

Scoobaru

Sep 6, 2018
Scotland
I got the firmware updated and there is a clear improvement. I wouldn't say its perfect, the engagement of the motor after pressing the button is still quite variable but it doesn't take more than a few yards to get going. It also doesn't have to be a long gear anymore. It seems to be influenced by pressing it while I am already walking with the bike Vs while stationary. It is now usable for its purpose, with enough torque to push the bike up a steep gradient and even does little wheelspins over roots and rocks.

If anything it can be a little fast on very steep sections, being able to tune the max speed down from 6kmh to 4 or 5kmh using mission control would be very helpful.

drjarvis2003

Jul 4, 2018
glasgow
Although i don't have a Specialized, im impressed that there is a direct input from their rider support team on here and hopefully we will get one from Shimano, Yamaha and Bosch soon.

JP1

Sep 13, 2018
Switzerland
Although i don't have a Specialized, im impressed that there is a direct input from their rider support team on here and hopefully we will get one from Shimano, Yamaha and Bosch soon.
This is the reason why I purchased a Specialized.
Service, rider care, dedicated dealers, Garantie etc.
and yes it is expensive, and yes I had a noisy motor and yes I found somme dirt in the motor cage but I have the feeling they care about the issues and they get them solved.
But over all "man do I love that machine!"

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles