walk mode - does it work at all?

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
Just returned from a week of biking in the French Alps with my Merida, had great fun! :)

Despite the extra power I had to walk a few very steep sections, and switched on the walk mode. But I hardly noticed any difference using the walk mode or not.

When I got to the top of one of these climbs I talked to a local (his wife had a Canyon, also using a Shimano motor), and he told me that it's better to put the bike in (almost) top gear instead of keeping it in the low gear you were climbing in. I didn't try it out during the holiday (I rode all other climbs ;)) but is this true?

Anyone tried the walk mode in different gears and on a steep climb?
Noticed any difference? The way I used it it felt pretty useless.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
I've used it a few times on really steep stuff that i stalled on and couldnt get started again. It worked great and almost pulled me up the trail. by then i was already in 1st or 2nd gear.

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
The times I've used walk mode on steep stuff it was going faster than I could walk! I didn't think about changing gears, but it makes sense now - will have to try that next time.

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
I've used it a few times on really steep stuff that i stalled on and couldnt get started again. It worked great and almost pulled me up the trail. by then i was already in 1st or 2nd gear.
So you're saying it worked in 1st or 2nd gear? It didn't seem like it worked at all for me. I didn't try it in higher gears.

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
It rotates the crank at a constant Rpm so the higher the gear. The faster it walks.
Yes, this is key. I just played with this in the driveway. If in 1st and you're pushing at any speed at all you're pushing faster than the motor wants to assist. At 1st I thought it's going to be a big pain cuz if you need to walk, you're probly in 1st gear, but I discovered that since the motor is turning the cranks you can shift while walking!
Of course this is driveway testing, I could swear that on the trail it didn't do anything, but fatigue and new equipment does funny things to the brain.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Walk mode on Shimano is among the best, it's almost too quick depending on the lowest gear.

If the Shimano motor has got really old firmware then I guess walk assist could be poor.

Re-Cycle

Jul 13, 2018
Netherlands
The bike was bought this summer, so I presume the firmware isn't that old?
I have got the E-tube app installed on my phone (android), but haven't been able to get it to connect properly. Still must try if it works better from an I-pad, then I can check the firmware version.

knut7

Administrator
Author
Subscriber
Apr 10, 2018
Norway
Connecting with the E-Tube app can be a bit of a hazzle. Especially when connecting to a bike that you have not previously connected to. The last time I tried connecting to a new bike I got an error message after entering the default password. It said the password was wrong. I restarted the app and the bike. Always restart if connecting fails! On second attempt I wasn't asked for a password, I was asked to enter a new password. I didn't wanna do that so I hit cancel and the app worked fine.

This was using android. I've connected using iphone too, can't remember if I had the same issues then.

JackieA

Aug 10, 2020
Lancashire
Yes, this is key. I just played with this in the driveway. If in 1st and you're pushing at any speed at all you're pushing faster than the motor wants to assist. At 1st I thought it's going to be a big pain cuz if you need to walk, you're probly in 1st gear, but I discovered that since the motor is turning the cranks you can shift while walking!
Of course this is driveway testing, I could swear that on the trail it didn't do anything, but fatigue and new equipment does funny things to the brain.
Yes it does work and will change gear as you walk and operate the shifter. Just wish Shimano made operating walk mode with mechanical shifters clear.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Walk mode on Shimano E8000 (manually shifted) is completely useless 80% of the time I actually need it, which is at steep inclines I have to step off the bike (my mistake...). At that moment you are in the biggest sprocket and the walk mode sucks monkey balls. You will then have to, on a steep incline mind you, shift all the way down to make it work. Then when you want to bike again shift back.......stupid as shit. With DI2 the computer knows in which gear you are and adjusts so that is actually usable in most gears. Guess safety comes before usefulness as they try to limit the speed in walk mode in manually shifted derailleurs. Did I mention walk mode on E8000 is stupid and useless already?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Walk mode on Shimano E8000 (manually shifted) is completely useless 80% of the time I actually need it, which is at steep inclines I have to step off the bike (my mistake...). At that moment you are in the biggest sprocket and the walk mode sucks monkey balls. You will then have to, on a steep incline mind you, shift all the way down to make it work. Then when you want to bike again shift back.......stupid as shit. With DI2 the computer knows in which gear you are and adjusts so that is actually usable in most gears. Guess safety comes before usefulness as they try to limit the speed in walk mode in manually shifted derailleurs. Did I mention walk mode on E8000 is stupid and useless already?
Maybe it's part of shimano's ploy to make di2 look more attractive? Yes, their walk mode shits me to tears too. No such system with giant - theirs works no matter what gear you're in.

ichauchtt

May 14, 2020
Switzerland

I agree, but they had to solve it one way or the other. And you do not want fast spinning pedals either, right?

Just shift, press the walk button and lift up the rear wheel until it changed gears to where you need them.

papab

Jun 10, 2018
colorado
I just shift while it's walking. I'm usually up a few gears already because when I have to walk it's because of a very technical trail & I usually try to ride something technical in about 3rd gear.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
I agree, but they had to solve it one way or the other. And you do not want fast spinning pedals either, right?

Just shift, press the walk button and lift up the rear wheel until it changed gears to where you need them.
I understand it, but it would be good if you could adjust it. Usually I only need the walk mode on very steep technical trails going up. I can usually manage to lift the back and shift down, but my wife is not able too on such steep inclines. It is a luxury problem granted, but walk mode is a far bit off to what it can be on manually shifted bikes. Seems the torque is also very limited btw.

JackieA

Aug 10, 2020
Lancashire
Just had a short test ride after changing to e7000 shifter. So far am impressed though not yet got the muscle memory to avoid glancing down. Preferable to the sticking older E8000 shifter. Tried a deliberate walk mode climb and had more control - always felt that the original shifter seemed to have variable contact.
Had updated the firmware before fitting and now riding at a speed where the power is cutting in and out is much less noticeable - a great improvement.

Apr 18, 2020
germany

yeah its a fucking nanny state thing. God forbid somebody uses this as a motorcycle!

In theory the downshift lets it work at higher speeds but if you push a little to fast it cuts out immidately so it's more annoying than helpful in most cases. And when you can ride again you have to shift back into a smaller gear. So in most cases you're better off just leave it off and push by hand. I also don't get why someone at shimano thought this was good to go to the market and why they didn't at least fix it to some degree by updates...

Apparently someone discovered if you change the smalles cog of the cassette in stunlocker to 14 it gets faster but I didn't try it yet.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles