Waiting for shimano motor to be delivered

calw47

Aug 5, 2020
Lancashire
Just over 5 week ago I dropped my Focus Jam2 off for motor replacement at the bike store where i got it from, and they have done their part in ordering it but are now just waiting for Shimano to deliver it. Has anyone recently had a shimano motor replacement done and how long does it normally take for it? Cheers.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It used to take about 10 days, but supply issues due to covid in getting the motors to the UK has caused issues - I know at one stage a few months ago Madison, the UK Shimano agent, where out of replacement motors. Might be worth getting your LBS to chase them up

Letitrip

Dec 18, 2018
Staffordshire
Just over 5 week ago I dropped my Focus Jam2 off for motor replacement at the bike store where i got it from, and they have done their part in ordering it but are now just waiting for Shimano to deliver it. Has anyone recently had a shimano motor replacement done and how long does it normally take for it? Cheers.
I've been waiting 5 weeks know. Not good at all . don't think any of the other brands have got delays like shimano.??

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
There are delays with just about everybody.
It’s no use getting mad about it, it could be a lot worse these days.

Yeah, my mate is currently waiting for a replacement Specialized 1.3 motor, over two weeks so far and has been told it will be at least the end of this month.

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
2 months and counting for me. Hoping i get an ep8 for a replacement. Thatll put me at a 3 month wait at the very least, so half my season gone

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
Dropped my Trek PF7 at my LBS on a Saturday and collected it the following Thursday. Bike had done 2500 miles and there was play in the crank bearings, LBS changed the motor under warranty. All happened about 8 weeks ago. I’ve no complaints with either Bosch or my LBS ??

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Dropped my Trek PF7 at my LBS on a Saturday and collected it the following Thursday. Bike had done 2500 miles and there was play in the crank bearings, LBS changed the motor under warranty. All happened about 8 weeks ago. I’ve no complaints with either Bosch or my LBS ??
Id guess because its the previous gen motor the failure rates are known and bosch has warrantee and parts stock inventory to support those known % failures. Gen4 sales have seen an increase, like all things cycling, so that may have a longer warrantee period, combined with it being a newer motor and failure rates are as known
I have no idea what shimanos problem is. I would have thought a 4 year old power platform would have a known failure % rate and a major reputable company would be prepared for the failures and maybe even include a margin of error in the failure rates to make sure customers arent stuck with an unusable bike

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have no idea what shimanos problem is. I would have thought a 4 year old power platform would have a known failure % rate and a major reputable company would be prepared for the failures and maybe even include a margin of error in the failure rates to make sure customers arent stuck with an unusable bike
Maybe because they will be launching the new motor, they have been running down stocks of the old motor? :unsure:

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I got the call from the LBS today to say replacement motor has arrived and bike ready to collect (been in the shop nearly 2 months). He didn't say it was an EP8 and I didn't ask as it allows me to dream a little longer, very much doubt it is though

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I got the call from the LBS today to say replacement motor has arrived and bike ready to collect (been in the shop nearly 2 months). He didn't say it was an EP8 and I didn't ask as it allows me to dream a little longer, very much doubt it is though

High Rock Ruti

I was told in May that E8000's were backordered until the end of July, so much for backorder estimates! Congrats ?

Warm Regards

Ruti

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Maybe because they will be launching the new motor, they have been running down stocks of the old motor? :unsure:
Yes im hoping thats the case, especially if the new ep8 addresses the durability issues. Its a fun bike and i have it all set up now. As much as i miss the bike im trying to be patient because of the possibility of getting the ep8. The new acoustic bike has helped keep my mind off it. Hopefully we'll all hear something soon. Release is scheduled for tomorrow unless that gets pushed back again

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I had an e8000 delivered to my daughter’s in France in three days for an scorching $900, from commencal UK.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
It seems clear from other threads on this Forum that although the EP8 motor will physically bolt in to place instead of your old e8000 motor, it is not compatible. Needs a complete new wiring harness, the form factor is different (whatever that is), the software is also different, new torque sensor may be required (I may have misunderstood that).

Worst of all, Shimano will stop making the e8000 motors.! I don't know when the plan to stop, or what stock of e8000 they will make before ceasing production. But if the e8000 motor fails and I can't get a replacement of any kind, then my 19-month old bike is scrap and will have to be sold for parts.

Lets hope that someone works out a way to repair the motors.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
It seems clear from other threads on this Forum that although the EP8 motor will physically bolt in to place instead of your old e8000 motor, it is not compatible. Needs a complete new wiring harness, the form factor is different (whatever that is), the software is also different, new torque sensor may be required (I may have misunderstood that).

Worst of all, Shimano will stop making the e8000 motors.! I don't know when the plan to stop, or what stock of e8000 they will make before ceasing production. But if the e8000 motor fails and I can't get a replacement of any kind, then my 19-month old bike is scrap and will have to be sold for parts.

Lets hope that someone works out a way to repair the motors.

High Rock Ruti

As long as there is a vibrant business for new motors Shimano will make them, my personal experience with sending broken derailleur's, defective rotors and even cassettes and chains to Shimano Directly has been 100 % replacement, you must ignore LBS or your own instincts, "if you send, it will come". Shimano guarantees for two years, "try it you'll like it"

Warm Regards

Ruti

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
It seems clear from other threads on this Forum that although the EP8 motor will physically bolt in to place instead of your old e8000 motor, it is not compatible.

Has this kind of interchangeability feature been promised somewhere or is this just a noble wish from shimano user community? Haven't recognized this kind of conversation among Bosch users when the new CX came. Sounds a bit destructive for Shimano from business perspective?

I can see some room for aftermarket parts for E8000 in the future.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Has this kind of interchangeability feature been promised somewhere or is this just a noble wish from shimano user community? Haven't recognized this kind of conversation among Bosch users when the new CX came. Sounds a bit destructive for Shimano from business perspective?

The interchangeability was more wishful thinking than a fact. Even if you changed everything needed to connect the new motor, you would still have to get the new motor which will probably be an impossibility for the first couple of years to buy after market.
After reading the review on E-Mountainbike, while the performance has been improved, it’s not a game changing difference.
Hopefully the software issues have been addressed because Shimano is terrible at Software

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

I have not seen any interchangeability, or backwards compatibility being promised, although much desired. What really tee's me off is the comment attributed to Shimano that they would stop selling the e8000 and stop making it too. No comments on when they will stop making them, or how many they intend to put into stock to support warranty claims and for sales out of warranty to keep an expensive bike going.

If Shimano were to address this issue it would sure put my mind at rest. If Shimano can do this once they will do it again. How could anyone buy a Shimano-motored bike with the threat that after two years, the bike may have to be broken up and sold for spares! If they could be repaired (they can't) that would be something.

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Yt stepped up and got something done. Put the call in to shimano and are getting me an e8000 shipped. He's forecasting a reasonable shipping time too.
I wish there wasnt hoops to jump through on top of shimano being swamped , out of stock and not returning calls. YT are certainly pleasant people over here though so theres that. Really hope yt gets a demo/service center in western canada. That would make future purchases and referrals much easier, atleast for emtb's.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles