Volume spacers for Fox Float rear shock

VardyR

Feb 4, 2022
New Zealand
Hi
Has anyone made their own volume spacers for a Fox Float rear shock ?
Looking at machining some up but have no measurements
Any help would be appreciated

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Has anyone made their own volume spacers for a Fox Float rear shock ?
Looking at machining some up but have no measurements
Any help would be appreciated

Yeah, I've made a few. I use Delrin because it's easy to machine and it's durable. The OEM spacers are measured in cubic inches, if I recall correctly. They also have a step in them that requires an extra operation. I make my spacers more of a cylindrical shape, and then do a rough calculation of the volume. You could measure displacement in a graduated cylinder, but that's a hassle. You don't have to make the ID really tight. Make it so it just pushes into place with little force and it will be fine.

VardyR

Feb 4, 2022
New Zealand
Yeah, I've made a few. I use Delrin because it's easy to machine and it's durable. The OEM spacers are measured in cubic inches, if I recall correctly. They also have a step in them that requires an extra operation. I make my spacers more of a cylindrical shape, and then do a rough calculation of the volume. You could measure displacement in a graduated cylinder, but that's a hassle. You don't have to make the ID really tight. Make it so it just pushes into place with little force and it will be fine.
Thanks for that
I have use of a lathe so making them will be no problem I’m just looking for some dimensions to minimise the guess work

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Got ya covered, bro. Check out the attached pics. The yellow one is OEM Fox. The white one is some kind of aftermarket. You can look up the yellow one to figure out the volume displacement. If I recall correctly, the white one is 0.3 in^3.

Yellow one:
OD = 1.530"
ID = 0.525"
slot = 0.375"
outer thickness = 0.407"
inner thickness = 0.290"

White one
OD = 1.498"
ID = 0.520"
slot = 0.362"
outer thickness = 0.348"
inner thickness = 0.241"

IMG_0806.jpeg

IMG_0807.jpeg

VardyR

Feb 4, 2022
New Zealand
Got ya covered, bro. Check out the attached pics. The yellow one is OEM Fox. The white one is some kind of aftermarket. You can look up the yellow one to figure out the volume displacement. If I recall correctly, the white one is 0.3 in^3.

Yellow one:
OD = 1.530"
ID = 0.525"
slot = 0.375"
outer thickness = 0.407"
inner thickness = 0.290"

White one
OD = 1.498"
ID = 0.520"
slot = 0.362"
outer thickness = 0.348"
inner thickness = 0.241"

View attachment 113695

View attachment 113696

Much appreciated Rustyiron

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles