Visit to Surrey Hills: Advice please

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi, I am down in Dorset and thinking of a day trip to Surrey Hills to check out the riding there. Can anyone advise the best place to head for..........car park.........best trails. I may do a camping trip later to spend a couple of days there if the day trip proves it is worthwhile.
I like forest trails, gravity runs, preferably natural trails.
Thanks.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Morning Mike,

There are a few ‘hills’ in the SH; but most of then well ridden trails are on Pitch Hill if youre after downhill riding

There are quite a few car parks but most people park in ‘Walking bottom 2’ which is near Peaslake. Its free to park but gets really busy on weekends after around 08:30. Here’s a link to the address: https://goo.gl/maps/qg5ckEzX67L6v8x47

In terms of trails, there are lots and lots scattered around which are good and it really depends on what you want to ride - equivalent of blue/red/black etc to give advice but trailforks has a good selection listed. I always find theres lots of friendly riders around at the top of each of the hills who are always up for a guided run down which is usually better than following a map imo.

For me, maybe try these trails first:

- Supernova
- Barry Knows Best
- Captain Clunk/El Capitan
- John the baptist and T trails

then if you fancy something more challenging; the log drop trail Rob features on his videos is Thick and Creamy; not sure of your skill level but its a rollable black (ie chicken runs if you want to avoid the drops).

If you’re after a jump trail, check out Northern Monkey which is where the likes of Fairclough and Reynolds hang out.

There’s quite a bit of off piste stuff from the same hill which is good as well, keep an eye out for people dropping into what looks like a hedge and youll find yourself on one! Theyre all good but one does have large gap jumps so scope out first.

There is a lot of good natural stuff on the other hills but hopefully this is a good starter for ten.

Depending on the day, if I’m about id be happy to show you around; or if not im sure someone on here will be up for a ride ?

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
I would certainly take the advice above and go with someone who knows their way around.
I have had some brilliant guided rides there, but when I go on my own i somehow keep ending up back at the car park without finding anything good. Very frustrating.
I guess that's why I prefer bikepark, they have a clear start and finish.

VWsurfbum

🤴King of Bling🌠
Jan 11, 2021
England
When you thinking of going?
I'm happy to show around and get a good mile burner battery drainer ride in?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Morning Mike,

There are a few ‘hills’ in the SH; but most of then well ridden trails are on Pitch Hill if youre after downhill riding

There are quite a few car parks but most people park in ‘Walking bottom 2’ which is near Peaslake. Its free to park but gets really busy on weekends after around 08:30. Here’s a link to the address: https://goo.gl/maps/qg5ckEzX67L6v8x47

In terms of trails, there are lots and lots scattered around which are good and it really depends on what you want to ride - equivalent of blue/red/black etc to give advice but trailforks has a good selection listed. I always find theres lots of friendly riders around at the top of each of the hills who are always up for a guided run down which is usually better than following a map imo.

For me, maybe try these trails first:

- Supernova
- Barry Knows Best
- Captain Clunk/El Capitan
- John the baptist and T trails

then if you fancy something more challenging; the log drop trail Rob features on his videos is Thick and Creamy; not sure of your skill level but its a rollable black (ie chicken runs if you want to avoid the drops).

If you’re after a jump trail, check out Northern Monkey which is where the likes of Fairclough and Reynolds hang out.

There’s quite a bit of off piste stuff from the same hill which is good as well, keep an eye out for people dropping into what looks like a hedge and youll find yourself on one! Theyre all good but one does have large gap jumps so scope out first.

There is a lot of good natural stuff on the other hills but hopefully this is a good starter for ten.

Depending on the day, if I’m about id be happy to show you around; or if not im sure someone on here will be up for a ride ?
thanks for that. Still at the planning stage! Will update.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If you have never been I think you definitely need to hook up with someone who knows the area or get a guide, otherwise you will spend most of your time trying to find the trails!

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Is anyone actually going to organise a group ride?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles