Upgrading the Stance groupset...is it worth it?

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
Hi all,
Thinking of upgrading the groupset on my 2021 Stance e+2...

Wondering if anyone has done so?
If so, what do you recommend and what advantages did you get from this?

Appreciated,

Ian

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
can't you just ride it. If you need to change something you'll soon know. For me it was obvious; smaller chain ring, 203 rotor on the rear, then better caliper on the rear (4 pot and metal pads vs 2 pot and resin pads). It's steep up or down here so you can understand my changes.

ro1ex

Apr 3, 2022
Australia
Hi all
Well, upgraded to XT M8000 11speed derailleur and matching shifter and XT 46T cassette!

Very much enjoying the smoother changes!

EF98506F-2F59-4FBF-B9AE-C6D48C6DAB68.jpeg

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
The transmission is ideal in my opinion. For me i enjoy larger tire, up to 3.0 they fit.
Also next on my list that might be improved is the fork.
It all depends where we ride, what we enjoy.

Gioele470

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
The transmission is ideal in my opinion. For me i enjoy larger tire, up to 3.0 they fit.
Also next on my list that might be improved is the fork.
It all depends where we ride, what we enjoy.
Hi,
How'd you go upgrading to a larger tyre? I was looking at doing that for my stance, however found that the stock rim was only 25mm so I was told going anything over the stock 2.4 inch size wouldn't fit/ create too much trye bulge.

Gioele470

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
Hi all,

Appreciated,

Ian
Hey so I upgraded my forks and my rear shock,
Fork upgraded to a 150mm Suntour auron RC2 PCS EQ,
Rear shock: fox dpx2 120mm

The think that let's me down is the rear qr skewer axell. Such ashame they didn't do with the threw axell on the rear hub.

20211104_165356.jpg

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hi,
How'd you go upgrading to a larger tyre? I was looking at doing that for my stance, however found that the stock rim was only 25mm so I was told going anything over the stock 2.4 inch size wouldn't fit/ create too much trye bulge.
If my memory is correct about 9 months ago i read on this website from a rider using 2 3.0 on his Stance 2021. Like you i was surprised so i wrote asking if there was enough room and if the ride was fine. He replied yes and yes. I ordered 2 3.0x29 Maxxis DHF and i am happy with them. Maybe for some riders it is not *optimal* but for me it works fine. The 2022 Stance will have 30mm so maybe it will be better but i prefer my 2021 Stance on 3.0 compared to 2.4 or 2.6. It is very expensive to change rims and not worth it for the riding i do. I feel putting a lot of money on a Stance is not going to add resale value. Some will simply prefer finding a Trance. If we keep them for many years it is different we might feel it is worth it.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
If my memory is correct about 9 months ago i read on this website from a rider using 2 3.0 on his Stance 2021. Like you i was surprised so i wrote asking if there was enough room and if the ride was fine. He replied yes and yes. I ordered 2 3.0x29 Maxxis DHF and i am happy with them. Maybe for some riders it is not *optimal* but for me it works fine. The 2022 Stance will have 30mm so maybe it will be better but i prefer my 2021 Stance on 3.0 compared to 2.4 or 2.6. It is very expensive to change rims and not worth it for the riding i do. I feel putting a lot of money on a Stance is not going to add resale value. Some will simply prefer finding a Trance. If we keep them for many years it is different we might feel it is worth it.
I did the same with an analogue xc hardtail bike. I kind of liked it; it was a lot more versatile with the bigger tyres even though they were on very skinny rims. Of course I should have bought a trail bike - didn't really know much at the time. It kind of looks like you guys may have bought the wrong type of bike too?

Last edited:

Gioele470

Oct 14, 2021
Australia
Yeah in hindsight, absolutely. If I were to do it again, would look at something like a Giant reign. Definitely money better spent there.

But when you start down the road of upgrades it is so easy to get to excited and carried away with buying components you really don't need on a entry level bike.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
yeah, bugger it. You're right, that was a strange call putting a pissy little 9mm quick release axle on it. Emtb really are a different thing to mtb. I remembered this last night while I was thinking about tyres. I wouldn't consider a maxxis crossmark (rear) and continental mountain king (front) - they are simply for analogue bikes. I used to like that setup pre emtb. Likewise my budget trail bike (merida e140) came with a 180mm rear rotor, 2 pot rear brake, and resin pads all round. Any emtb should be 203 rotors. Over time, out of necessity, I've upgraded to 203 rotor, 4 pot caliper and metal pads - all on the back. 2 pot calipers on a budget bike I can understand, but these things really need the extra leverage of bigger rotors. And considering that the rear of the bike cops the most impact, a quick release 9mm axle is also sub par.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Hi all,

Appreciated,

Ian
I realize this is a post from a while back but, I updated my 2020 drivetrain to a 12speed xt8100 with 10-45 Rythm cassette and DT Swiss H1700 wheels among other things. As far upgrades it all depends on how much and what kind of riding you do. Also factoring how long you're going to keep it is probably a good Idea as well. That bike is well worth upgrading along the way. I do have a 2022 Reign as well I find myself riding both a fair amount...OK OK I ride them more than I drive.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles