Rail (625Wh) Upgrading a Trek Rail to a Fox 38 Questions.

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
Hey got a question. I have a 2022 Trek Rail 9.7. I was thinking of upgrading to a Fox 38. Are there any gotchas to consider when doing an install? Can I simply swap everything over? Also what's the minimum steer tube height? Looks like the Rail steer tube height's is around 7 1/2".

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Son-in-law installed a 38 on his Rail no problem. But the steerer tube on the Trek frame is a larger outside diameter than the yoke on the Fox 38. So there may be a small step where the tube meets the fork. Doesn’t affect preformance …just Looks.
Drives me crazy …but that’s just me. 🫣
Don’t know the steering post length he used.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Trek sells a Zeb, or Zeb Ultimate with a larger yoke diameter that fits the finish of the Trek frames. This model/type of fork is exclusive to Trek. As far as I know the upper and lower bearings are the same size.

As far as fork post length; That depends on your geometry that you’re happy with. Just remember, once you cut that post …

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
Can someone take a pic of this step? I think I understand but not sure. Also does the step allow mud and crud to get in there? Is there an adapter that Fox or Trek sells? Would a different offset work better?
Trek sells a Zeb, or Zeb Ultimate with a larger yoke diameter that fits the finish of the Trek frames. This model/type of fork is exclusive to Trek. As far as I know the upper and lower bearings are the same size.

As far as fork post length; That depends on your geometry that you’re happy with. Just remember, once you cut that post …
So If I was to buy a from a store just a Regular Zeb your saying it would also have a step?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Can someone take a pic of this step? I think I understand but not sure. Also does the step allow mud and crud to get in there? Is there an adapter that Fox or Trek sells? Would a different offset work better?

So If I was to buy a from a store just a Regular Zeb your saying it would also have a step?
Here’s a couple of pictures of the step and no-step.
45FF248E-4D45-485D-A4CD-3B9DC57A4060.jpeg

This is from my Trek hardtail with pike forks. Typical step occurs with this type of fork. Noticeable to me but doesn’t affect performance.
662DA45F-6778-4461-96F7-4FCA7794694A.jpeg

Here’s my Rail with Deore/Lyric forks. No step. (Oh man, that is dirty). The Zeb ultimate (which lines up to the Trek frame profile) is exclusive to Trek. I was about to upgrade this fork (Zeb Ultimate) but the Lyric upgrade seems to be fine. Plus the Zeb was $1800.

I don’t think an adapter is needed and debris is not an issue.

Timwu12

Nov 2, 2022
Austin
any reason you're considering the Fox 38 over say an Ohlins 38? Always curious why the Fox 38 seems to be the go to for Rail owners

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
any reason you're considering the Fox 38 over say an Ohlins 38? Always curious why the Fox 38 seems to be the go to for Rail owners
I prefer Fox over Rockshox. I'm not great at tuning but once it's dialed in I like the way the Fox performs. I had a Fox 36 Factory on my last bike and loved it. Although I've heard of Ohlins I've never really tried one. I know they have a good reputation.

GIORIDER

Oct 30, 2022
USA
Here’s a couple of pictures of the step and no-step.
View attachment 102717
This is from my Trek hardtail with pike forks. Typical step occurs with this type of fork. Noticeable to me but doesn’t affect performance.
View attachment 102718
Here’s my Rail with Deore/Lyric forks. No step. (Oh man, that is dirty). The Zeb ultimate (which lines up to the Trek frame profile) is exclusive to Trek. I was about to upgrade this fork (Zeb Ultimate) but the Lyric upgrade seems to be fine. Plus the Zeb was $1800.

I don’t think an adapter is needed and debris is not an issue.
Thanks for posting. I see what you mean about that step now. I'm not sure how much that would bother me. But it does seem a little out of place. How do you like the Fox 38 on your rail? So it was a straight swap?

Timwu12

Nov 2, 2022
Austin
Rob has a video of his dream Rail build where he mentions a vendor that sold him a Fox 38 with an oversized crown to give him the flush look off the stem without the step.

I don't remember the name of the place he used but it was in his youtube video.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thanks for posting. I see what you mean about that step now. I'm not sure how much that would bother me. But it does seem a little out of place. How do you like the Fox 38 on your rail? So it was a straight swap?
It’s not really a big deal …I noticed the step right away but that’s just me.
The Fox 38 was installed on my son-in-law’s Rail. He really likes the setup. He’s not bothered with the step at all. As far as I know it was a straight swap He’s got a nice fork for his style of riding with the Fox 38.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Rob has a video of his dream Rail build where he mentions a vendor that sold him a Fox 38 with an oversized crown to give him the flush look off the stem without the step.

I don't remember the name of the place he used but it was in his youtube video.
This was Silverfish in the UK. They are a fox service centre.

Any fox service centre will be able to get hold of the 68HT crown and swap out the part (although it isn’t cheap!).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles