upgrade questions

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Love my Merida e160 ltd but I am thinking of upgrading but not sure to stick with the e160 or go the new Reign as I have a few questions:
  1. Currently have the e8000 with 504 battery. While the ep8 has a 630 battery and more power it sounds like it is thirstier. Would it actually have 25% more range or roughly what?
  2. Here they are limited to 25km/h. The drag was really noticeable and dangerous I felt when approaching jumps so I changed it to USA spec of 32km/h and it's been good. With the ep8 does it disengage better and remove the need to change its restriction? Anyone have any experience with it?
Thanks
MAS

IMG_6796.JPG

Mr_Price

Feb 27, 2021
North Vancouver
Once questioned, credit card takes a beating. haha

Can't help you decide, I don't know either of the bikes but it's not a bad move to sell the Merida while it still has value?

Whatever you do, the white coil is 🔥

Reactions: mas

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The drag was really noticeable and dangerous
THERE IS NO DRAG ON YOUR E8000 MOTOR.
What you are feeling is the rolling resistance of your bikes tyres and it's weight.
The only thing dangerous here is the riders lack of understanding.
EP8 is just the same

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
THERE IS NO DRAG ON YOUR E8000 MOTOR.
What you are feeling is the rolling resistance of your bikes tyres and it's weight.
The only thing dangerous here is the riders lack of understanding.
EP8 is just the same
Sorry Gary.
Once I read your comment I remembered reading you say that to someone else before. I will now buy an ebike specific chain and give myself 1000 lashes.

I would say that the E8000 based on the Shimano speedo seemed to not keep pulling up to 25km/h but would constantly sit around that 22km/h. It sounds though with any bike that my only alternative to chipping is to get a lighter bike, get fitter, or less aggressive tyres.
Anything I am missing?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Tread compound and pressure make a massive difference to rolling resistance. Not just tread patern. And just swapping to a fast rolling rear tyre can make a massive difference.

DWSN

Oct 18, 2021
UK
I posted a while back asking how to improve sluggish characteristics and Gary replied advising to look at the tyres which I did and can say it has made a huge difference.
I went from Magic Mary's front and back to a Dissector up from and a Rekon at the back, both 2.6 and Exo+ but saving 500g in weight over the MM's and can now easily get a couple of MPH above motor cut out on a flat road - thanks for that Gary!!

RichardGB

Nov 28, 2019
West Midlands
Rather than the new bike, upgrade the one you have. I've only ridden maybe one or two bikes which handle as well as the e160 and they're both soooo expensive to be out of reach.

If the WH is your concern the. Buy a second the same or a bigger one if you can. That frame should fit the bigger battery, I think.

If you're feeling the bike slowing, more than should be expected given the weight and tyres, then check how well your wheels spin when on the stand. If they come to a dead stop without any roll back/balancing then there's friction somewhere. This could be brake rub, free hub needing a service or bearings being worn out.

I've got a twitchy clicky finger when it comes to bike stuff and I tried a fair few bikes out last year but honestly, a well set up e160 is a match for most things out there.

mas

Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Rather than the new bike, upgrade the one you have. I've only ridden maybe one or two bikes which handle as well as the e160 and they're both soooo expensive to be out of reach.

If the WH is your concern the. Buy a second the same or a bigger one if you can. That frame should fit the bigger battery, I think.

If you're feeling the bike slowing, more than should be expected given the weight and tyres, then check how well your wheels spin when on the stand. If they come to a dead stop without any roll back/balancing then there's friction somewhere. This could be brake rub, free hub needing a service or bearings being worn out.

I've got a twitchy clicky finger when it comes to bike stuff and I tried a fair few bikes out last year but honestly, a well set up e160 is a match for most things out there.
I've upgraded everything on it and am very happy with it. Battery life is the main issue and as this frame has the old E8035 it wont fit a bigger battery. I'm not interested in swapping batteries out mid ride either. It would also be nice to be able to insert the dropper further.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles