Update left me unable to charge fully

Fordo 197

Apr 2, 2022
Uk
So, I updated my software on the app at the weekend on my giant reign e+1 and now it only charges to 85%. Very frustrating and wish I'd know of this issue before downloading the new version. Never had an issue with the app before and the bike has been absolutely faultless in the 2500 miles I have had it (since new) has anyone else experienced this? Is there a solution? Definitely the app as it was charging perfect until this point.

Fordo 197

Apr 2, 2022
Uk
firmware version??

Screenshot_2023-02-20-19-06-30-37_9f8ef8b507d6653300083d594f4e9926.jpg

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Have you tried to charge the battery outside the bike?
I do have the same software version and no issues with my two bikes.

Fordo 197

Apr 2, 2022
Uk
I haven't no, I'll give that a try. Was on charge all night last night
The charging off the bike worked, woke up this morning and battery was fully charged, very odd but a solution. I rarely take the battery off the bike but if it allows me to charge fully then I'll take that. Still 100% convinced this is related to me updating the firmware as it worked on the bike no problem before.

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
The charging off the bike worked, woke up this morning and battery was fully charged, very odd but a solution. I rarely take the battery off the bike but if it allows me to charge fully then I'll take that. Still 100% convinced this is related to me updating the firmware as it worked on the bike no problem before.
yeah, must be solved by bike firmware update but not released yet. Ask about it at yor LBS, is what they said here.

RichT

Specialized just came out with an update that allows you to select charging limited to 80% to prolong battery life. I’ve read about this approach on other Li-ion battery powered equipment. So that may be the situation with your update and maybe somewhere in the settings you can de-select it if you want. For now I’m going with 80% on my bikes unless I’m going to be ridding longer distances.

Fordo 197

Apr 2, 2022
Uk
Specialized just came out with an update that allows you to select charging limited to 80% to prolong battery life. I’ve read about this approach on other Li-ion battery powered equipment. So that may be the situation with your update and maybe somewhere in the settings you can de-select it if you want. For now I’m going with 80% on my bikes unless I’m going to be ridding longer distances.
Yes I do understand that logic. They should have patch notes with their updates though, then if that was the case you would know. I rode today and she's on charge as we speak, inside the bike, will report back if it doesn't fully charge. I would rather have the battery fully charge personally, mine has nearly 60 charge cycles and it's still at 97% health, not convinced they need too much special treatment charging wise. Though I very rarely leave it fully charged for more than a couple of days.

RichT

Yes I do understand that logic. They should have patch notes with their updates though, then if that was the case you would know. I rode today and she's on charge as we speak, inside the bike, will report back if it doesn't fully charge. I would rather have the battery fully charge personally, mine has nearly 60 charge cycles and it's still at 97% health, not convinced they need too much special treatment charging wise. Though I very rarely leave it fully charged for more than a couple of days.
Well I just charged my battery off the bike and it stopped at 80% so at least with Specialized, the logic circuit (or whatever it is) for charging is in the battery, and not the control unit (I guess that makes sense…). So I’m glad I can toggle my charge-limit off and I’d be a bit irritated if I couldn’t, especially if that wasn’t disclosed in the update info.

Last edited:

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
The BMS sits in the battery for purlose. If you can't charge to 100% off the bike raise a case with Giant/LBS. There are reports of faulty chargers too....

markoricho

Apr 9, 2022
York
I've had similar issues since the update, sometimes stops at 97% other times 85% but also often will charge to 100% with no issues.
I've found if you remove the charger lead and turn the bike on and off and re connect charger it will finish off upto 100%.
I've not tried charging the battery off the bike.
Done about 2000 miles with no issues so far.

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
I've had similar issues since the update, sometimes stops at 97% other times 85% but also often will charge to 100% with no issues.
I've found if you remove the charger lead and turn the bike on and off and re connect charger it will finish off upto 100%.
I've not tried charging the battery off the bike.
Done about 2000 miles with no issues so far.
I also just started having an issue with my bike not charging. I removed the battery and it charged to 100%.

I

Did you update your bikes to the latest version released last week, 22th?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles