Unused ports on 2.1 motor?

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Peak District and Cornwall, UK
Hoping someone from Specialized could reply to this question: I have a Turbo Levo Comp 2020. Very happy about the Lupine light that was easy to install. Just connected to the unused port 2 front light. Works perfect! I am now considering USB iPhone charger connecting to port 3 rear light/brake light.I have ordered the 3-pin rear light cable that fits unused port no 3 - red connection. I have also ordered a DC/DC Converter 12V/24V to 5V 15W from Amazon: Thinking of connecting an iPhone usb charger cable to this setup and heat shrink protection. Of course would need to connect cable correctly between rear light cable and converter. Would this be a safe setup for the Turbo Levo? Does it avoid warranty or will the motor/TCU tell me if something wrong so I shouldn't worry about damaging battery/motor/TCU?
I've done this on mine, works a treat. If you need any help let me know. I used the front light port, but I don't have any lights plugged in.

palkox

Oct 4, 2020
Norway
I've done this on mine, works a treat. If you need any help let me know. I used the front light port, but I don't have any lights plugged in.
Fantastic to hear. So you think I should not worry about this at all regarding warranty, battery/motor/TCU failure?

couplands

Jul 16, 2019
Peak District and Cornwall, UK
Fantastic to hear. So you think I should not worry about this at all regarding warranty, battery/motor/TCU failure?
As far as I know, the voltage converter/phone will draw (a lot) less power than the Lupine lights so I can't see it being a problem- I've had no issues over the last 12 months. If I had a warranty issue I think I'd remove the connector/voltage converter before I took it back to the bike shop though. I guess you need to weigh up the risk, but you've already added a none standard light so it can't be any worse than that.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
View attachment 20581

I use the light port on the levo with a Lupine SL F, I bought the Bosch Version when I got my Trek Powerfly and just cut/resolderd the cable once I got the levo. I got to say it is my best and only mod. We do a lot of night riding also in summer cuz of the heat and I would not want to miss it.

One thing to keep in mind is that the port is always on there is no way to switch the light off on the levo side like you could do on a bosch bike. The light itself has an on/off switch on the bottom of the bulb and on the F-Version you can also turn it off/on by holding the highbeam button on the remote.
I had Bosch motor earlier and now with 2021 Turbo Levo Comp i had errror code from motor when i assembled same Lupine SL to Levo. An d i think that "daytime running light" was way too bright.

I took a Lupine off. I send message to their customer service about that.

Edit: this is solved.

1621332694603.png

Last edited:

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
I had Bosch motor earlier and now with 2021 Turbo Levo Comp i had errror code from motor when i assembled same Lupine SL to Levo. An d i think that "daytime running light" was way too bright.

I took a Lupine off. I send message to their customer service about that.

Edit: this is solved.

View attachment 61828

That is interesting I never had any problems mine is on the bike since day one, what motor errors did you get?

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
That is interesting I never had any problems mine is on the bike since day one, what motor errors did you get?
I even did not bother to read what code it was. :)
As they answered from Lupine i have wrong type of light.

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
I even did not bother to read what code it was. :)
As they answered from Lupine i have wrong type of light.

I would still be interested in where you saw the error on the TCU or in Mission Control app? Other than the daytime running light how did it behave that made you think something was off?

Thanks for the link I always thought the only difference in the versions was in the provided cables. But still if the brose version pulls 24W and the bosch only 17W the worst thing would be some lumens lost?

I have another friend who ran his on a Shimano E8000 and has now switched to a Bosch Gen 4, he just bought the cable.

Kimmoi

Jul 6, 2018
Finland
I would still be interested in where you saw the error on the TCU or in Mission Control app? Other than the daytime running light how did it behave that made you think something was off?
Error was on the TCU. When i put the power on at the TCU and light turned on, the TCU gave error.

And there's a answer earlier in this thread why it gives error:

As you've seen from the table above, the light ports are available but limited to 2A max - this is pretty important. We've seen with the Lupine SL SF (for example - with high beam) that the inrush current is way higher than 2A so the motor sometimes shows an error. Same with the Supernova M99 mini (we believe - we're in the process of checking this out). Key point is being sure to keep the inrush and regular use current under 2A if you use these light ports on the Brose motors. Note also that the max current on the Brose 1.1/1.2 motors we used on 2016/17 Levo and on many Vado bikes is 0.5A.

I'm thinking of Supernova Flex, it has different user controlable settings for different motors.

1621507249716.png

Last edited:

Han

May 25, 2021
Vienna
I just tested my new Lupine SL-F with C14, got error code when I turned high beam on over 1 minute or some, with low beam there is no problem at all. Contacted Lupine last night, waiting for the reply, but it seems it was inrush current higher than 2A as SP described. Let’s see how this will solved out

391A7FCD-F4F6-4D78-9F3B-E8ADF9868F1E.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles