Un-Official Clydesdale Thread

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
I wanted to create a place here for Clydesdale riders to post about their collective experiences with EMTB ownership. I came to this forum because I want to find the right EMTB for me being a a borderline super Clyde at 6’5” 255lbs (196cm/115kg) with out riding kit.

How are other the other Clyde’s finding out bikes are working out for you? Does your extra mass severely limit your range? How is our suspension working out for you? Have you had any tuning issues? Are you running your forks/shocks near max pressure?

Have you found your motor works well with the strong lower cadence that most bigger riders use?

How has EMTB ownership changed your riding?

Thanks.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
A fat knacker's thread. Count me in! (y)

I'm a bit lighter than you, but a lot shorter and subsequently rounder... :ROFLMAO:

Does your extra mass severely limit your range?
Define "severely". Yes, range is impacted, but without having one of my mates on a identical bike it's hard to know by how much.
How is our suspension working out for you?
Fine. I have a Shockwiz and I've set the forks up with it. Haven't got round to doing the shock yet.
Have you had any tuning issues?
Not sure what you mean by this?
Are you running your forks/shocks near max pressure?
Probably, I'd need to check. 105psi in the forks and 275psi in the shock.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I am a fat fuck as well. In the last 8 weeks I have gone from 218lbs to 248lbs.
I used to get 35 miles on my Kenevo and now it’s a miracle at 22 miles.
I have had to change spring rates to cope with bottoming out.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I'm the same height and weight as Brian, so far so good with my Levo Comp. Planning on getting a 700wh battery to give me better range and possibly down the track some wider 32 spoke wheels. No issues with fork or shock, but I'm not much of a jumper so i guess they're not being tested too hard. Only change i've made so far is to get bigger diameter grips (Ergon GA2 Fat) and there's a Deity Blacklabel 800x38 bar going on tomorrow as I need the bars just a touch wider, higher and further back.

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
I wanted to circle back and update this thread. I’m 4 months into emtb ownership and it has been a great experience all around. I started 2019 at 269lbs. I figured if I’m dropping $4k on a bike I need to ride at least twice a week to amortize my cost down to about $40 a ride. It been a wet and cold winter for us and I’m at 260miles on the odo and down to 239lbs with constantly improving level of fitness.

I ended up with the last 2018 Meta Power Essential Commencal USA had. I gave it the nick name Mongo the mango meta. I swapped the shifter to grip shift right off the bat as I’ve been riding gripshift since the mid 90’s. I had to go to a 90mm stem to compensate for my long torso. Higher bars and a 650# spring.

Only mechanical is issue so far has been a broken spoke this week. Not bad for stock machine built wheels. I’m a long time Hugi fan so I will likely end up with a DT hub and hand built wheel at some point when the OEM wheel finally dies.

I’ve been playing with the front suspension to try to dial in the low speed sensitivity. I’m currently running 95psi with 1 token. Most of my riding is on tight technical XC type trails with lots and lots of roots so low speed small and medium bump compliance for is my main goal. I may do a ACS3 drop in or a ribbon coil if I can find a good deal.

I’m not that interested is blasting down trails at high rates of speed. I have motos for that. So far the 2.6/2.5 high rollers have worked well. When they are dead I’m going to see if I can fit 2.8 vigilantes on both ends for some extra traction in the roots and a little more ground clearance.

Battery life has been better than I expected. The higher country is just now starting to dry out and become ridable. Most of my rides have been less than 1000 feet of climbing and I’m using 1/2-3/4 of the battery on 1-2 hour rides of 13-18 miles. I’m interested to see how that will change with more elevation change.

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
Hi fellow Clydesdales

I'm a 58 year old male from Antwerp - 330 lbs and 5'9" (145kg/174cm)

After a long time I want to go back into MTB and especially EMTB.
Any recommendation on selecting the best EMTB for my "specifications" ?
I'm looking for a FS EMTB Enduro type bicycle without having the intention to do big drops or even participating in the Megavalanche...

One of things I already found out is ... a FS EMTB that supports my weight is quite a challenge to find ... any feedback on frames/models ... components would be usefull ... "loosing weight" is the one I already know ;-)
Probably I need to start from a EMTB frame adding components that could support a Clydesdale

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm 6'3" and 322lbs / 23st (1.9m and 146Kg) and ride a base model Turbo Levo. Forks at 70psi, shock at 170. Sag and ride are absolutely fine, the bike is set up perfectly for my weight.
I managed an 19 mile ride with 3300ft of climb a few weeks back now and had 19% left on the battery. That was by using mix of power settings of course. On the last steep climb in Turbo, it was saying I had a mile left, but obviously once I'd climbed and switched back to Eco, the range extended out again just like your car's predicted range does whether you hoof it or drive sensibly.

Its only the creaking from the front that is an issue. Whether that's weight related I don't know. I hope not.

Last edited:

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Is the Spec Turbo Levo SL ridiculous for Clydes?

Shopping for an e-Bike. I'm 260 lbs and looking for any experience or advice you folks might have on the Spec Turbo Levo vs Levo SL. I test-rode both yesterday in urban setting (park/stairs). I like the toss-ability of the Levo SL, but didn't feel as confident powering some of the gnarlier tech uphill sections I did on the Levo (which admittedly seems like more torque than one needs). Current ride is '18 YT Jeffsy29. I am also considering YT Decoy29 - but imagine that will be more like the Levo - or even more on the Enduro side.

Anyone have experiences with Levo SL, or considering one?

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
I'm 6'3" and 322lbs / 23st (1.9m and 146Kg) and ride a base model Turbo Levo. Forks at 70psi, shock at 170. Sag and ride are absolutely fine, the bike is set up perfectly for my weight.
I managed an 19 mile ride with 3300ft of climb a few weeks back now and had 19% left on the battery. That was by using mix of power settings of course. On the last steep climb in Turbo, it was saying I had a mile left, but obviously once I'd climbed and switched back to Eco, the range extended out again just like your car's predicted range does whether you hoof it or drive sensibly.

Its only the creaking from the front that is an issue. Whether that's weight related I don't know. I hope not.
Well just having a browse of the threads and came across this, didn't have a clue what a Clydesdale rider was but having a read of this it seems i fit into that category.

Just wondering what suspension you're riding? I've just got a new Vitus E-Escarpe this week and went on my first ride last night, it has Fox 36 Performance front and Fox Float DPS at rear. I'm 18 stone (252 lbs and just short of 115kg) and my settings are like for like on my weight 115psi for front (has max setting 120 psi so i'm nearly at the limit) and 250 psi rear (has max setting of 350psi) that's going off the Fox recommended settings. Just curious as yours seem very low for your weight.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Yeah, this was picked up elsewhere. The 70/170 psi was as written by the shop when they set the bike up for me from new. I don’t know why they wrote that, possibly someone else’s manual has my real psi’s in it. The RS Deluxe shock is at 325 and I’ve got the RS 35 forks at 100. I’m not riding it hard though.

LAWHITEY

Apr 29, 2020
UK
Hi fellow Clydesdales

I'm a 58 year old male from Antwerp - 330 lbs and 5'9" (145kg/174cm)

After a long time I want to go back into MTB and especially EMTB.
Any recommendation on selecting the best EMTB for my "specifications" ?
I'm looking for a FS EMTB Enduro type bicycle without having the intention to do big drops or even participating in the Megavalanche...

One of things I already found out is ... a FS EMTB that supports my weight is quite a challenge to find ... any feedback on frames/models ... components would be usefull ... "loosing weight" is the one I already know ;-)
Probably I need to start from a EMTB frame adding components that could support a Clydesdale
Hello there, for what it's worth as i was checking out my bike before ordering looking for weight's and couldn't find any but ordered anyway and when it came the frame has a sticker on saying max weight 120kg. I'm lucky that i'm under that by 5kg and intend to get lower now i'll be riding more often, longer and further. There will be some bikes out there that probably take more weight but another 25kg i' don't know, lots of research will be your best friend. Good luck in your search.

Fluffymoose

Apr 28, 2020
Norway
Got a base turbo levo 2020 myself, 195cm and 135kg. Average afternoon run for me is 25km gravel/fireroad with 700m of elevation gain. Mixing eco for flats with trail mode for climbs, no turbo mode. This results in an average usage of 300Wh from the battery. Hopefully range will increase as rider weight decreases.

I do not understand how so many think Suspension on the base Levo shocks are fine with the mentioned psi levels. Even maxed out in front and back, with 325psi in the rear my shock starts with 40% sag. I don`t feel the ride is very plush or smooth with this setup, and am looking at some upgrades that support my weight better for the suspension side of things.

Don`t dig the breaking power either, I can lock out the back, the front however eventually comes to a stop after much squeezing and patience. Brake upgrades is also high on my list, with all the weight I feel the base setup is not sufficient.

comfort upgrades is 40mm raiser bar from renthal, ergo mtb grips from ergon and e-mtb saddle from ergon.

love the bike, but it really does need upgrading on some components to become my «dreambike» at my current weight.

The main positive is that I want to go out and Get more active with this bike, I look forward to sweating away (no problem to get an excellent workout on a emtb if you don`t constantly run on turbo)

Love the bike so far :)

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I'm an old Clydesdale that should've been put out to pasture years ago but keep on riding! I bought a Felt Redemption (Shimano 8000) a couple of months ago. It's about 51 lb/23 kg, I'm about 238 lb/108 kg. Bike is awesome. I've tuned it with ST Unlocker and ride mostly in ECO. Favorite thing is that there are no rides I balk at, and I can go on really long rides and still feel like riding the next day. As LONG as the battery is charged!

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
Hello there, for what it's worth as i was checking out my bike before ordering looking for weight's and couldn't find any but ordered anyway and when it came the frame has a sticker on saying max weight 120kg. I'm lucky that i'm under that by 5kg and intend to get lower now i'll be riding more often, longer and further. There will be some bikes out there that probably take more weight but another 25kg i' don't know, lots of research will be your best friend. Good luck in your search.
At this time I found out that there is only one bike on the market that fits according MY "weight" specifications. It' BH bikes from Basque Country (Spain) BH Bikes . The PTW (Permitted Total Weight) = this includes rider + bike + backpack + ... is 165 Kilogram. There are also some bikes with 150kg (Giant 156) but most are limited to 130 kg. Meaning a PWT of 130 kg means that rider may only weight 105-109 kgs !!!! Perhaps all those bikes can carry heavier weights but what if there is an issue ? (Guarantee ...). In your case what the definition of the 120 kg on the bike ? PWT or rider weight ?

Leroidulacanau

Apr 19, 2020
Antwerp
Is the Spec Turbo Levo SL ridiculous for Clydes?

Shopping for an e-Bike. I'm 260 lbs and looking for any experience or advice you folks might have on the Spec Turbo Levo vs Levo SL. I test-rode both yesterday in urban setting (park/stairs). I like the toss-ability of the Levo SL, but didn't feel as confident powering some of the gnarlier tech uphill sections I did on the Levo (which admittedly seems like more torque than one needs). Current ride is '18 YT Jeffsy29. I am also considering YT Decoy29 - but imagine that will be more like the Levo - or even more on the Enduro side.

Anyone have experiences with Levo SL, or considering one?

You're out of specifications for the Specialized. Permitted Total Weight of S is 130 kg. So PTM = riders weight + bikes weight + backpack + ... 260 lbs is 118 kg. bike = +/- 22 kg. So 130 - 118 = 12 kg . Houston we have an issue ! Probably it will "work" but from a "specification" perspective you're out ! YT Decoy PTW = 150 kg = 330 lbs.

Last edited:

Fluffymoose

Apr 28, 2020
Norway
Of course those limits are not including any safety margins, there are always margins to consider. Usage has an effect, are you 30% over recommended limits and decide to speed all day jumping off highest cliffs and drops...probably not the best idea. Normal trail use, I would not worry at all. Weight and applied force to bike are related but not the same, it depends on application. I am more concerned about my wheels/bearings then my frame with added weight, I expect higher maintenance cost due to more wear as a heavy rider.

If frame was to break/crack in any way I can not see me beeing required to go on the scale in the shop or needing to have some official document approved by the court stating my weight to make a warrantyclaim. warranty means little for me, I can make a claim for up to 5 years against the seller in my origin, we pay an extra Cost on purchases for this, this is required by law here if the item is meant to last more than 2 years. Wearprone parts are not coveret by this though.

I still apply common sense and avoid the heavy jumps and massive mountain drops while working on weight loss. A bike rated for 130kg will not immediatly break if you weigh 131kg after a nice steak dinner one evening.. :)

I would choose a sturdy bike and not aim for the lightest weight shaven racing mascine though. Saving 2kg bike weight is of very little importance for me who could be well off shedding 30kg of bodyweight instead. Upgrade to lightweight bike when bodyweight has gone down and is no longer an elusive imaginary future state of beeing... ;-)

Last edited:

krisrayner

May 20, 2019
California
250lbs rider here on a '17 Levo. Just did a 22 mile ride w/ 3,000ft of climbing. Eco mode (20% support, 100% max power). Finished with 37% battery life left. I had recently seen an EMTBN? video with some suggestions to increase range. One of those was to have max power available, but at a lower support level so that your less likely to use Turbo. So far so good. Running DVO suspension so none of my pressures will transfer over to you. I am running heavy Eddy Current tires, so I'm pretty happy with the range I'm getting right now.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
250lbs rider here on a '17 Levo. Just did a 22 mile ride w/ 3,000ft of climbing. Eco mode (20% support, 100% max power). Finished with 37% battery life left. I had recently seen an EMTBN? video with some suggestions to increase range. One of those was to have max power available, but at a lower support level so that your less likely to use Turbo. So far so good. Running DVO suspension so none of my pressures will transfer over to you. I am running heavy Eddy Current tires, so I'm pretty happy with the range I'm getting right now.
I would I would like to see the video you are referencing, if you can track down a link?

TallPaul

Mar 17, 2019
YO325UH
I bought a 2018 Commencal Meta Power 29, I am 6' 4" and around 115kg and much prefer the bigger wheels on an XL frame.
When I got my first Mtbs with 26" wheels I always looked like a gorilla perched on a kids bike and felt instantly at home on my first 29er non ebike.

I usually get about 30 miles doing approx 3000 feet of climbing out of it, I was a bit disappointed to find that the new Shimano 630w battery will need a new fitting and not be interchangeable with the 8010 battery fittings.

I seem to remember that the Commie had one of the higher rider weight limits and know that the DT Swiss H 1700 are rated up to 150kg. Wheels are going to take a hammering on a 22.5kg bike and 115kg rider on board.

Last edited:

krisrayner

May 20, 2019
California
I would I would like to see the video you are referencing, if you can track down a link?
I'm having a hard time finding it right now, it might be buried inside of another video. The basics of it revolved around actually having max power available in the different modes, but turning down the support. That way your "rewarded" for working harder and having that max power available will help keep you from changing into Turbo mode and using it all up.

For example, previously I had my Eco mode at 30% support and 30% power. I would ride with it like that on occasion, but then reverted at least Trail mode most of the time. By playing with the settings so that Eco is 20% support but 100% max power I find I don't have much need to change modes for tough climbs and it keeps putting out the power as long as I do. Now I don't use Turbo except for the nastiest, loose climbs that most people walk up.

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
I’m 6’1 300lbs 21st ish an ride a decoy pro race 2019. The bike is awesome if feels like riding my husky te300 with no engine down hills. yes the suspension is up to max + a bit but it works flawless. I get about 30ish mi range but more than enough for me

wkearney99

May 8, 2020
Bethesda, MD USA
Another tall, old, fat guy here, looking for a new ebike ride. Got a pointer from over on EBR to see this thread. I'm 6'3" and 250#. I've not been riding for a few years now due to complications from ankle surgery (which is fine now). But I've lifelong knee issues that have reached the stage where pedal assist is a much needed feature (it's not pressure in the joint, it's the tendons leading to it). So I can pedal plenty, I just can't crank really hard on climbs lest it aggravate my knees. But standing, bouncing, all day rotating the crank, that's fine.

My riding goal is recreational, with zero commuting. On suburban conditions (pavement, grass, gravel) and light trails. My days of thundering through the woods on downhills and ascending rocky trails and ledges are less likely to happen than past years (basically, zero, for now). So I might not be a 'clydesdale' in the active sense that some of you are. Don't judge, you'll get old too.. sooner than you'll like, trust me.

I much prefer the riding experience of a mountain bike, on 2-2.5"-ish tires. Last most often used mountain bike was a Votec hardtail (Porsche Bike S).

I've ridden several bikes at local shops (MD near DC) and found some things I liked and disliked. Out of several I've ridden the Yamaha setup on a Haibike Allmtn offered the most un-assisted feeling pedaling experience yet. That being a good thing, as it was pretty much like riding a regular mountain bike, but with some subtle assistance when needed. The Bosch experience on a similar Haibike Nduro wasn't to my liking (there was a sense of dragging to the drivetrain). A Bosch gen4 setup on an RM Delite was much better (unfortunately I didn't like the bike otherwise, it handled like riding an anvil). The Brose setup on a Turbo Levo was impressive, but the suspension just ain't up to the task of hauling my ass around (it would rub the rear reflector even under mild street/curb testing). And this was with high shock pressure (or so the shop told me). The Brose setup on it sure didn't disappoint on push, it was impressive (but kinda unnatural feeling).

I have not yet had a chance to try a BH or Bulls.

Nor have I yet tried anything in a frame as large as I'd probably want. I take 35" arm shirts and 34" pants, so I tend to prefer frames on the larger size. But I don't want to be hunched over. I'm prepared to rearrange the stem/handlebars to get the ride position I'd want (assuming the fork allows for it).

I'm willing to spend to get a decent bike (otherwise I wouldn't have been testing Riese Muller or a Levo). I'd prefer to pay less, of course.

I want something well integrated, not a mish-mash of chinesium parts. I'd prefer a LBS for purchase, if just to avoid shipping shenanigans if something's dramatically wrong. Warranty isn't a huge concern, as I'm not anticipating buying something that isn't going to have decent components (the motor/battery, that is).

There will always been new models, I'm fine with missing out on the next best thing. So I don't want to wait until late summer/fall. I'm ready to buy now and would very much like to be riding by June.

So this thread and the one over on EBR are reading just like what I'm after. If there's another thread/forum here I should review, point me to it. Thanks!

krisrayner

May 20, 2019
California
Another tall, old, fat guy here, looking for a new ebike ride. Got a pointer from over on EBR to see this thread. I'm 6'3" and 250#. I've not been riding for a few years now due to complications from ankle surgery (which is fine now). But I've lifelong knee issues that have reached the stage where pedal assist is a much needed feature (it's not pressure in the joint, it's the tendons leading to it). So I can pedal plenty, I just can't crank really hard on climbs lest it aggravate my knees. But standing, bouncing, all day rotating the crank, that's fine.

My riding goal is recreational, with zero commuting. On suburban conditions (pavement, grass, gravel) and light trails. My days of thundering through the woods on downhills and ascending rocky trails and ledges are less likely to happen than past years (basically, zero, for now). So I might not be a 'clydesdale' in the active sense that some of you are. Don't judge, you'll get old too.. sooner than you'll like, trust me.

I much prefer the riding experience of a mountain bike, on 2-2.5"-ish tires. Last most often used mountain bike was a Votec hardtail (Porsche Bike S).

I've ridden several bikes at local shops (MD near DC) and found some things I liked and disliked. Out of several I've ridden the Yamaha setup on a Haibike Allmtn offered the most un-assisted feeling pedaling experience yet. That being a good thing, as it was pretty much like riding a regular mountain bike, but with some subtle assistance when needed. The Bosch experience on a similar Haibike Nduro wasn't to my liking (there was a sense of dragging to the drivetrain). A Bosch gen4 setup on an RM Delite was much better (unfortunately I didn't like the bike otherwise, it handled like riding an anvil). The Brose setup on a Turbo Levo was impressive, but the suspension just ain't up to the task of hauling my ass around (it would rub the rear reflector even under mild street/curb testing). And this was with high shock pressure (or so the shop told me). The Brose setup on it sure didn't disappoint on push, it was impressive (but kinda unnatural feeling).

I have not yet had a chance to try a BH or Bulls.

Nor have I yet tried anything in a frame as large as I'd probably want. I take 35" arm shirts and 34" pants, so I tend to prefer frames on the larger size. But I don't want to be hunched over. I'm prepared to rearrange the stem/handlebars to get the ride position I'd want (assuming the fork allows for it).

I'm willing to spend to get a decent bike (otherwise I wouldn't have been testing Riese Muller or a Levo). I'd prefer to pay less, of course.

I want something well integrated, not a mish-mash of chinesium parts. I'd prefer a LBS for purchase, if just to avoid shipping shenanigans if something's dramatically wrong. Warranty isn't a huge concern, as I'm not anticipating buying something that isn't going to have decent components (the motor/battery, that is).

There will always been new models, I'm fine with missing out on the next best thing. So I don't want to wait until late summer/fall. I'm ready to buy now and would very much like to be riding by June.

So this thread and the one over on EBR are reading just like what I'm after. If there's another thread/forum here I should review, point me to it. Thanks!
The stock rear shock on the Levo definitely doesn’t work well for heavy guys. I upgraded mine, DVO Topaz. Very adjustable and works really well carrying my 250# body over rocky terrain and jumps. Basically, if you like the Brose system on the Levo, don’t be put off by an OEM part spec or two. There’s some pretty easy changes to make it work good for big guys.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
You're out of specifications for the Specialized. Permitted Total Weight of S is 130 kg. So PTM = riders weight + bikes weight + backpack + ... 260 lbs is 118 kg. bike = +/- 22 kg. So 130 - 118 = 12 kg . Houston we have an issue ! Probably it will "work" but from a "specification" perspective you're out ! YT Decoy PTW = 150 kg = 330 lbs.

@Leroidulacanau - Sorry, I missed this earlier! Seems like of my top 3 choices (Trek Rail, Spec Turbo Levo and YT Decoy) the Decoy is the only one that will meet my "max system weight" of 320 lbs. Interestingly, you can't really find on the US site or materials the Specialized max weight specs. Looks like the Giant Reign would also exceed that spec requirement, but itself is a bit of a porker compared to the YTDecoy.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
When I got my first Mtbs with 26" wheels I always looked like a gorilla perched on a kids bike and felt instantly at home on my first 29er non ebike.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I know what you mean, here's me on the bike I used to ride 10 years ago

26165763_10210446924069524_4426270063858363339_n.jpg

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I’m 122kg kitted up and I’ve broke the stanchon out of the csu on the RS fork and bent the monarch shock like a banana. Broken a rear axle and too many saddles. Collapsed the wheel bearings front and rear as snapped just about every spoke. Tore 6 rear tyres before their time and egged a rear wheel.
I do ride it pretty hard tho, and always on the limit of what the bike can do.

CannonRob

May 14, 2020
NT Australia
Newbie here weighing a Covid induced 235lbs (107kgs) and 6'3 (191cm) tall. Still to pick up my first ever e-bike in a week or two but just wanted to put it out there that my new Cannondale Moterra 2 (XL) has a max permitted weight of 150kgs and could be an option for larger riders. Not a lot of them about so would like to hear about the experiences of larger riders who mount a Cannondale e-bike.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
104 kg here, Check out EMBN video on YouTube they did a comparison between a 90 kg rider and a lightweight young lady and the difference in range was marginal!

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
So for those of you riding Turbo Levo with body weights of over 105kg/230lbs, you're out of specifications for Specialized. Permitted Payload (rider+gear). Max total = 130 kg.

There are more than one of you for sure! Did you check with your local LBS about your weight beforehand? Are you at all concerned about warranty issues if you get any frame/parts failures?
In reality, I think fork and parts specs are higher than the bike mfg. and wheels tend to be the weakest link. I intend to get a custom 36-spoke rear-wheel built when I take ownership of whatever I buy. But still, I don't want to end up with a fancy carbon frame doorstop if I get an ultra-rare frame failure because I'm too heavy.

Right now, it seems the YT Decoy29 is the way to go since Max weight is within spec for me. But would be good to have a LBS option if Specialized (or the shop) will stand behind the mgf. warranty despite my weight.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles