• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

UK to US EP8

Cornish

Jul 1, 2022
Cornwall
Hi All
Can anyone tell me how I can swap to US spec to get the 20mph max speed. I don’t want to downgrade anything and I want to be able to swap it back without it being known, to UK spec should I need to send the EP8 away for warranty issues. What do the main dealers use as I know they can do it? Cheers

Cornish

Jul 1, 2022
Cornwall
Yes the dealer has a shimano tool, I was wondering what that tool is called and can it be bought? I told my bike manufacturer that I was going on holiday to the states and I wanted it unlocked and they said the dealer can do it on arrival and departure. I’m sure I’ve read somewhere about a tool but can’t remember the name or code

Cornish

Jul 1, 2022
Cornwall
Can you confirm that using the PCE02 that things can be restored to UK without anyone knowing or does it leave a footprint?

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
I use STUnlocker, and has helped many others to use it in practice.
It's a very usefull tool to many purposes.
I use SM-PCE1 (cheap)

BUT - users has been rejected at dealers, because a tool has been used.
If you can live with that - fine by me.
But you are taking a risk (so am I and my friends - we dont care)

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
BUT - users has been rejected at dealers, because a tool has been used.
Yes, they will be rejected if they show their bikes with changed settings. NO ONE will see that settings have been changed if they are returned to their defaults/stock values!

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Buy the PCE02, being the later one
Then need to download STunlocker & buy license on laptop to change settings to US have the cable use it on my gravel bike & Rise but not changed to US

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Ahh you misunderstood, meant I use the PCE02 cable for my gravel bike
Haven’t downloaded st Unlocker on laptop yet, have it on phone
Please email/PM me with proofs (screenshots, email address and etc)

Cornish

Jul 1, 2022
Cornwall
Just so its clear in my head as I have a MacBook and iPhone, can I just get Stunlocker and do the swap from UK to US via bluetooth in the same way that I currently used Shimano etube? Sorry for the basic questions that im sure have been asked and answered before

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Just so its clear in my head as I have a MacBook and iPhone, can I just get Stunlocker and do the swap from UK to US via bluetooth in the same way that I currently used Shimano etube? Sorry for the basic questions that im sure have been asked and answered before
You have a double miss...
PCE interface requires Windows only, and you can't downgrade via iPhone if you have latest ETube App installed on it. Downgrade works on ETube App 5.0.2 version and lower

Cornish

Jul 1, 2022
Cornwall
You have a double miss...
PCE interface requires Windows only, and you can't downgrade via iPhone if you have latest ETube App installed on it. Downgrade works on ETube App 5.0.2 version and lower
Ok thanks for clarifying its much appreciated. I can get access to a windows from a friend I guess 👍

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden

I use stunlocker on my ipad and there were no problems

I just downloaded the app, bought a license and connected the app to my engine

Cornish

Jul 1, 2022
Cornwall
I use stunlocker on my ipad and there were no problems

I just downloaded the app, bought a license and connected the app to my engine
I think that you must have downgraded the firmware to do that. I don’t want to downgrade as mine is the EP8 RS with the specific Orbea tune. I’d do what you have otherwise

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I think that you must have downgraded the firmware to do that. I don’t want to downgrade as mine is the EP8 RS with the specific Orbea tune. I’d do what you have otherwise

I didn't have to downgrade the software. But as you say, you probably need to do it with the EP8 RS engine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles