UK CHEEBers, any interest in a BESST community buy?

UKCHEEBers - Are you interested in a BESST community buy?

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Maybe - depends what it will cost

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
It's possible to buy a BESST tool here for about £115 including delivery. I suspect most of us would quite like to play with the tool, and the software that runs it, but don't really want to spend that kind of money for something that will largely sit unused in a drawer.

Is there any interest in a 'community buy' of one of these, where we each contribute towards the purchase, and then just post the device to anyone who wants to use it? Yes, there's an element of trust involved, but ultimately we'll have the address of the last person to take it, and that does allow a degree of retribution should anyone decide to take the mick.

I'm a relative newbie to the forum, so I'm happy to either arrange this, or take a backseat and let someone better known be in charge.

What do we think?

p.s. Sorry non-UKers, but I think it's probably going to be something that only works if it's relatively local, otherwise postal charges are going to be prohibitive.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Whats even worse is when he can ride faster down the track than yourself on his Rail, but then uphill with the M600, well thats a different story.

mgx

Feb 18, 2021
Slovakia
Great, it's a pity I don't live in the UK ... 🙈

I will have a BESST tool in 3-4 days, just visit me with bottle or white wine and i will be happy to assist ruin your controller anytime :)

Screenshot 2021-11-29 130449.jpg

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
I received a parcel from Rob himself in the mail today! What's the consensus on the best (BESST?) firmware version to run on an M600?

I'll start a Google sheet shortly where people in the UK can request the tool, then it'll be up to each person to post it on to the next individual on the list. Feels fair that way to me.

Unless anyone has a better idea?

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
"What's the consensus on the best (BESST?) firmware version to run on an M600? ".

most than to know the "better" (the better for you could be bad for me), i'm interested to know the differencies between each firmware available (for M500 and M600). exemple those on gifthub, i don(t see the charasteristics off the firmwares revision listed (or i don't know where i can finf it ?).
GitHub - OpenSourceEBike/Bafang_M500_M600

if you whould i can start an . xls file who list all the rev found, but after for the charasteristics, it need the work of all. For this step i don't know how we can do ? as the appreciation is based on personal felling not indispuable "facts" ? and i doubt that everybody have try and compare all the firmware available ?

Acessory if somebody can explain me what is this forum (gifthub) and how it is functioning, at this time it is nor clear for me.

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
Acessory if somebody can explain me what is this forum (gifthub) and how it is functioning, at this time it is nor clear for me.

Github is a site typically used by developers to control and manage the source code used for building apps. It's a pretty good choice for stuff like this, as it allows just about anyone to download files, but only a select few to upload and maintain them.

I do think a spreadsheet as you describe would be a good idea. I'm making the assumption that the last bit of the firmware filename is the date on which they were released, and that newer is 'better', or certainly a good place to start. I'm actually pretty happy with my bike as it is, on firmware CRX10NC4818i32046.7 (you can use the Bafang Go app to read this from the bike without a BESST tool if your display supports bluetooth) .

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
Thinking about firmware names a bit more (and forgive me if this is blindingly obvious), take for example the filename for my current firmware:

CRX10NC4818i32046.7

Which is (I assume) equivalent to this on Github:

CRX10NC4818i132046.7-28-2230-20201121.bin

I believe this breaks down something like this:

CRX10NC - Pretty sure that's the model of the controller
48 - 48 volts, which is the output of my battery
18i1320
- the firmware version
-28-2230-
- the date it was released

No idea what the two bits I haven't annotated are.

Looking at the rest of the files on Github, I think this rather annoyingly means I'm already on the latest available firmware that is compatible with my bike. Bum.

Last edited:

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france
"and that newer is 'better' ". not really, for exemple i prefer on my M500 the last rev 12A, i find the power increase a little more quicker and pleasure for me than the 13A.

"you can use the Bafang Go app to read this from the bike without a BESST tool if your display supports bluetooth". Not mandatory, you can use simply the display, you enter in parameter, check the rev of the controler (hard) and with + (i think, or one of the other touch) see the rev of soft.

"No idea what the two bits I haven't annotated are." i think it is the max Ampere, no ?

About gifthub, it is that i have understand, but i don't see where i can see the diffeerency between each sostware revision available.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
I received a parcel from Rob himself in the mail today! What's the consensus on the best (BESST?) firmware version to run on an M600?

I'll start a Google sheet shortly where people in the UK can request the tool, then it'll be up to each person to post it on to the next individual on the list. Feels fair that way to me.

Unless anyone has a better idea?
Hagbard do you still have the BEST tool, I think there is a new M600 update file and interested to update my unit.

Thanks.

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
Hey. Yup I do. Was going to update mine also, but really wanted someone else to go first! Will probably do mine on Monday once I put the frame back together, so should be able to post the BESST to you probably towards the end of next week?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Hey. Yup I do. Was going to update mine also, but really wanted someone else to go first! Will probably do mine on Monday once I put the frame back together, so should be able to post the BESST to you probably towards the end of next week?
OK, like it when someone else is the guinea pig :). There's no hurry as the ground here at the moment is like the Battle of the Somme and quite liking the power of the M600, even having to use level 3 of 9 which I haven't had to do all summer, through the muddier stickier sections.

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
I figure if I've got 5 power levels (who uses 9!) then I might as well use them all. Gives me a chance to eat a doughnut on the climbs.

I'm more than happy with the amount of oompf on tap, I'd just like the ramp up to be a little more gradual. Might save me getting a saddle up the butthole when trying to navigate gates!

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
The 9 levels actually spreads the range of levels over the max level, as in level 5 with only 5 levels is the same as 9 in the 9 level setup. 1 however is lower in the 9 setup than the 5 setup. However the initial ramp up is the same across the board of all levels and in my view it’s that which masks those lower levels we are all talking about.

Easy enough to solve if the firmware developer was a rider, they would / should understand what’s happening as soon as trying to start on a slight incline from 0 cadence. Recently spending time on a latest Bosch motor just reinforced my gut feeling on what is going on.

Perhaps we should link Bafang up with a couple of the lads over on EndlessSphere who have programmed the TSDZ2 engine I think as good as and possibly better than the Bosch.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Does anyone know who has the UK BEEST programmer ? Possibly its back with Rob ? Wouldn't mind borrowing it for a week or so if possible. Thanks.

LordSpam

Oct 14, 2020
UK
Has anyone got a best tool that I could borrow, I would like to play around with the setting on my m500 and m600

Hagbard

Aug 25, 2021
York
Has anyone got a best tool that I could borrow, I would like to play around with the setting on my m500 and m600
I can post you the forum one, but unless someone has released the firmware that allows parameter changes, or you've got a v2 controller with this already installed, I think you're going to be incredibly dissapointed with the things you can change, as it's basically nothing!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles