UK Battery Rental

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England
My new bike will have the 4th Gen Bosch motor/battery set up. I’ve searched the battery hire messages so far but they seem holiday based questions.
Can you hire batteries in the uk? I’m planning 70 miles a day for three days and not sure the 625 battery fitted will last the hilly King Alfred’s Way.
Thanks

Dave

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I once tried to hire a Bosch frame battery for a day at Bikepark Wales but they wouldn't entertain it, even when I offered to pay the full hire price for the bike as well. Is this a life-goal or some sort of charity fund raising?

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England
Just for fun. Someone suggested it from our cycling club but it’s all whippets and hill lovers. I just want to make sure I complete each 70 mile day. I’ll try the bike out fully and try to get to 70 miles but being 110kg presently, it will be working fairly hard.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
70 hilly off-road miles is a pretty big ask of an eBike in my experience.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
If you have a support vehicle, driven by you nearest and dearest, then the solution is simple. He/she carries the spare battery and while you are off enjoying yourself, they drive to your next stopping point and charge the battery for you.

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England
Yep, would be ideal but this is a ride and lug all your crap about ride. Though have been known to post things home as the ride progresses! Lol

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
OK, so take advantage of the fact that batteries charge more quickly in the first hour than any subsequent hour.
Morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea.....
There must be somewhere worth diverting to, even off the designated trail in order to get your eFix.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
If you turned it into a charity fund raiser of some sort you could hit up Bosch or Cube for some loan batteries.

Blakey

Sep 9, 2020
Mid Sussex, UK
Definitely not trying to derail your post but I am very interested in battery rental (I have a Power Tube 500) as I want to be able to do the SDW next year and I know I'll need (at least!) 2 x 500 Wh batteries for that. So if anyone does find somewhere that hires eBike batteries, please shout!

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England
OK, so take advantage of the fact that batteries charge more quickly in the first hour than any subsequent hour.
Morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea.....
There must be somewhere worth diverting to, even off the designated trail in order to get your eFix.

have been looking into the fast charger and looking like most useful option. We will stop for lunch so hope that will allow charging to happen. But yes, you’re right. Thanks.

Jsibby

Mar 6, 2021
Chichester
Hi Dave I know your post is a little while ago. I too am thinking of riding the King Alfred Way. I too have a Bosch nextgen 4 with 625 battery. I too am concerned that the battery may not last out A days run. I am reluctant to spend £750ish on a second battery. did You manage to find anywhere to rent a battery? Did you attempt the ride? Did you find anywhere to get a charge at lunchtime? How did you fare.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I’ve seen the powertube 500 horizontal on sale for £584 at freeborn

Ive just bought a spare semi-integrated powerpack 500 for £550 and the EVOC E-ride rucksack

I did think about hiring a battery but that is proving elusive. Also the thought of carrying a charger and waiting hours for it to be charged somewhere was not really a great solution so I decided to just buy a spare together with the best e-bike rucksack on the planet

DCx01

Oct 4, 2020
South West England
I decided I’m riding the ride on my Dad’s gravel bike now, far harder work but it takes the faff out of it all. The bikes can’t be trusted. My Bosch motor lasted 126 miles and has been back to the shop twice and has currently been there awaiting a new motor for over two weeks. I could have walked the route in that time lol. So yep, no hire I could find, I’m not going to waste more money on a battery if the bike simply prefers limp mode. Thanks for all your replies.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles