Tyre Splits? Probable Cause.

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
This tyre was due a change anyway but the splits have made it sooner. I’m curious as to the cause. Has anyone any ideas?

25F75489-6CC0-44CD-8EC7-083BD200B3AA.jpeg

72419F1C-FBF1-4EB6-80A0-E3C440ED7B51.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have never seen anything like that. My first thought was of impact with something sharp, but I can't imagine how to get that pattern of damage.
You said that the tyre was due for a change, but the tread looks relatively unworn. Despite its initial appearance of multiple slashes, I wonder if it could be a manufacturing defect? The first pic has three diagonal lines, evenly spaced, the second pic has two diagonal lines at the same spacing as the first three. I'm pretty sure that at least one of the multiple layers that make up a tyre are at an angle like that (only based upon cut-away photos of tyres). Machine construction would leave regular spacing like in the pics. Are they opposite sides of the tyre, or just further around on the same side?

The amount of miles you have put on the tyre does not disqualify you from making a claim. I claimed the same manufacturing fault on two separate occasions on the same brand/size/type of tyre when it split along the bead, each time in exactly the same place around the tyre and at the same mileage of about 700 miles. Both paid without quibble.

Your tread looks hardly worn, that should strengthen your argument.

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
I have never seen anything like that. My first thought was of impact with something sharp, but I can't imagine how to get that pattern of damage.
You said that the tyre was due for a change, but the tread looks relatively unworn. Despite its initial appearance of multiple slashes, I wonder if it could be a manufacturing defect? The first pic has three diagonal lines, evenly spaced, the second pic has two diagonal lines at the same spacing as the first three. I'm pretty sure that at least one of the multiple layers that make up a tyre are at an angle like that (only based upon cut-away photos of tyres). Machine construction would leave regular spacing like in the pics. Are they opposite sides of the tyre, or just further around on the same side?

The amount of miles you have put on the tyre does not disqualify you from making a claim. I claimed the same manufacturing fault on two separate occasions on the same brand/size/type of tyre when it split along the bead, each time in exactly the same place around the tyre and at the same mileage of about 700 miles. Both paid without quibble.

Your tread looks hardly worn, that should strengthen your argument.
Hi Steve, the tyre is a Schwalbe Smart Sam it was an OEM fit on a friends KTM. Believe it or not it’s done over 1800 miles. Hence my suggestion of it requiring changing anyway. Could it be through the tyre pressures being too low? Those marks are all round the tyre and on both sides. Thanks for your reply.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi Steve, the tyre is a Schwalbe Smart Sam it was an OEM fit on a friends KTM. Believe it or not it’s done over 1800 miles. Hence my suggestion of it requiring changing anyway. Could it be through the tyre pressures being too low? Those marks are all round the tyre and on both sides. Thanks for your reply.
WOW, 1800 miles! I wish my tyres looked as unworn after that mileage. Maybe it just a flattering angle? Still looks like a manufacturing defect to me though. It is worth pressing your claim, just don't mention the mileage unless they ask. But after 1800 miles, you may feel its not worth the hassle.
It's a long time since I have kept the original tyres on a bike. I always give them a go, but it usually becomes one of the first things I change.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I agree with the above. The tyre is definitely failing along the lines of lamination of the tyre wall. You can see there are also corresponding marks on the wheel rim suggesting it may well be due to running the tyre at too low a pressure. Possibly under braking, the forces on the tread whilst the bead is trapped still, is tearing those laminations apart, either due to insufficient tyre pressure......or of course it could be faulty construction. No doubt an attempt to claim warranty would decide which was the case.

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
WOW, 1800 miles! I wish my tyres looked as unworn after that mileage. Maybe it just a flattering angle? Still looks like a manufacturing defect to me though. It is worth pressing your claim, just don't mention the mileage unless they ask. But after 1800 miles, you may feel its not worth the hassle.
It's a long time since I have kept the original tyres on a bike. I always give them a go, but it usually becomes one of the first things I change.
Correction. Been out with him this morning, checked his Nyon and it’s done 2318 miles!!!! The tyre was duly dispatched to the bin!!! Thanks for your comments etc, it’s appreciated.

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
How old is it , has it been stored for a while , especially in a shed that gets hot in the sun
Could be faulty tyre , there are batches of them occasionally ,

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I've not seen anything like that on a tyre with a Tube in ..
I have however seen tubeless tyres explode with a flash ,& bang once on a monstrous ride in Ben Avon ( nearly crapped myself as I thought someone was shooting at us ! ) miles from our hotel and the other on a night ride when I was in close proximity to ( Andy) the rider in front of me and got covered in Stans gunk ..
Try explaining that to the missus upon arriving home close to midnight ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles