Two part question

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
Yesterday I finally fitted my Megneg can upgrade and serviced the shock, but I came across two issues, the first one was the Megneg leaked air but eventually stopped after I re inflated it numerous times, is this normal or a fault that could happen again down the line, the second one was while fitting the shock back into the shock yolk I came across a stupid thin washer that caused me some pain lining up the bolt, it got a little damaged but finally went back on, I’d like to fit another one but I’m thinking it might happen again, has anyone else had this problem and overcome it, I’m wondering if the yolk can be gently prized open enough to fit the washer without mashing it up, as usual any help would be appreciated please

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
There is an O ring which had to be fitted to the Megneg can. If, as I first did, you don't fit this the shock leaks really badly. IIRC didn't say anything about this in the instructions.

If the washer sits between the shock hardware and the bearing then a bit of grease stops it dropping out while refitting the bolt. Not a good idea to force anything tbh.

Last edited:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
There is an O ring which had to be fitted to the Megneg can. If, as I first did, you don't fit this the shock leaks really badly. IIRC didn't say anything about this in the instructions.

If the washer sits between the shock hardware and the bearing then a bit of grease stops it dropping out while refitting the bolt. Not a good idea to force anything tbh.
Thanks for your reply mate, yeah I fitted the ‘O’ ring but it still leaked, whether I used too much seal grease I don’t know, I watched quite a few videos and followed some of the advice from some people, the Rockshox video didn’t seem to cover that part, I suppose I’ll find out when I go out next, I’ll just keep it local so if does leak I’ll not have so far to walk.
Thanks for your help and advice with regards to refitting the shock bolt, I’ll get some new washers from Whyte and try your suggestion with the grease, cheers mate 😉

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I don't remember exactly, but there was a seal (not in the upgrade kit) that I had to remove from the (bottom of?) the original cover and transfer to the new larger Megneg cover. Or something like that. The need to do this was not described in the Rockshox official video I followed.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I don't remember exactly, but there was a seal (not in the upgrade kit) that I had to remove from the (bottom of?) the original cover and transfer to the new larger Megneg cover. Or something like that. The need to do this was not described in the Rockshox official video I followed.
I think what you’re describing is the wiper seal, apart from that I don’t know, I got all those seals etc with my Megneg but the wiper seal wasn’t fitted and you’re right there was no reference to it or the correct order in which all the parts were to be installed either, thanks for bringing that up though, if it carries on leaking I’ll have to strip it down and I’ll check it out 😉

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Yes, you're right, it was the wiper seal. Remember now because after I messed up upgrading my shock and discovering my mistake I upgraded my wife's Select+ shock correctly.

Last edited:

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
it is far easier to remove the "yoke" so you can fit it to the shock off the bike.
Absolutely Mike, I did try but it was an absolute bar steward even when trying to move the rear triangle up and down to line up the shock eye and get the sleeve back into the frame.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles