Other Turbo Tero X4 still not upshifting properly

713Fmhs

Oct 30, 2023
I have a Tero X4 and like it a lot. it has always shifted fine but at 320 miles it started not shifting properly in the middle gears, say 4th thru 8th. Sometimes you shift up from 3rd to 4th and it will not upshift unless you finally shift up again then it shifts up 2 gears. It will also hesitate for periods when shifting up in other gears in the middle range. Shifting down to larger cogs seems fine.
I took it to the dealer and he said one of the middle cogs on the cassette was worn out! Spec' warranted it so the cassette and a new chain was installed. but I still have this problem. I know there is some adjustment on the derailleur and my logic tells me it needs to be adjusted to where the derailleur pushes the chain a bit more outboard when shifting up??
I've ridden bikes for years and when I shift I continue to turn the crank but back off considerably on the torque I put on the pedals. I also have a Levo I ride off road, (and it shifts flawlessly) so the Tero is not abused and mostly used on concrete bike paths near me.
I need to hit utube and educate myself better on how to adjust the derailleur but wanted to get some guidance before I do that. The bike is still under warranty but my luck would be the dealer will futz with it some more then say "it's as good as it can get". Thanks for any replies!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
fairly typical after a few weeks for a derailleur system to need a djustment and it is typically caused by the outer cable stops contracting slightly as they settle into their final shape. Normally a small adjustment on the cable adjuster on the lever is all that is required. try a couple of clicks anti clockwise on the knurled a djuster.

713Fmhs

Oct 30, 2023
fairly typical after a few weeks for a derailleur system to need a djustment and it is typically caused by the outer cable stops contracting slightly as they settle into their final shape. Normally a small adjustment on the cable adjuster on the lever is all that is required. try a couple of clicks anti clockwise on the knurled a djuster.
I tried that when the old cassette was still on the bike to no avail but will try it again with the new cassette now installed. Hopefully the cable adjustment and new cassette will help. Thanks for the reply.

713Fmhs

Oct 30, 2023
So I get the bike back from the dealer after they install a new cassette and chain and it doesn't shift any better than when I took it in. Rather than take it back, I adjusted the barrel adjuster clockwise 2 clicks, no improvement, than 4, a little better, then 5, a lot better, and finished at 6 clicks. The bike shifts properly now. I may try 7 clicks CW just to see if it gets better or worse but it shifts well right now at six. I have to wonder if the old cassette and chain was really bad or not??? Thanks Mikerb for the help.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
So I get the bike back from the dealer after they install a new cassette and chain and it doesn't shift any better than when I took it in. Rather than take it back, I adjusted the barrel adjuster clockwise 2 clicks, no improvement, than 4, a little better, then 5, a lot better, and finished at 6 clicks. The bike shifts properly now. I may try 7 clicks CW just to see if it gets better or worse but it shifts well right now at six. I have to wonder if the old cassette and chain was really bad or not??? Thanks Mikerb for the help.
ok good. Use it like that for now but you adjuster is probably almost completely unscrewed so I suggest you adjust the cable tension after the next few rides.
To do that, adjust your barrel adjuster so that it is only about 3 clicks out from fully in. Put the bike in its highest gear ( smallest cog). Undo the cable clamp on the rear mech. Then pull the cable gently with one hand whilst retightening the securing nut. You may need to apply one or 2 clicks on the adjuster barrel when you have done that to get changes sweet.

Jorva 1983

May 10, 2022
Belgium
have a look at the B gap adjustment of your derailleur. i had a similar problem with my levo. Had to figure it out myself dealer said everything was ok. They did adjustments and went for a test ride. but it only made it worse. i had to adjust in on the ride to get it to shift more or less ok…
in the end al it was anly the B gap that was adjusted wrong

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles