Levo Gen 2 Turbo Levo - SRAM HS2 220mm rotor on rear, does it look ok for you?

bPlaTyPuS

Sep 15, 2021
Switzerland
Hi!
I ordered the new SRAM 220mm HS2 rotor to put on my Turbo Levo 2019 carbon. It's the first time I'm changing a rotor and due to the size increment (200mm -> 220mm), I swapped the +20mm adapter to +40mm. But those really don't have the same shape... so I'm wondering if my mounting is OK or not...

What do you think? does it look safe :unsure:? (with the +20mm adapter, the screws were going directly into the frame....)

Here are some pics (don't worry about the left screw, I have to find one which has the right size!) :
image_50425345.JPG

image_50460673.JPG

image_67237889.JPG

I know some of you will tell me that it's better to mount the bigger rotor in the front.... but I don't agree with this! I would say this is correct when you ride on 'normal' roads... but on long steep descents done on unstable surface, I need my rear brake to control the descent!

So if this works, I'll have 200mm front and 220mm rear ?. (+ also installed ceramic pads.... instead of the originals which were be sintered I think)

Thanks for your help!

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Except front bolt being too long (or not yet tightened?) it is exactly as it should be.
My OCD wouldn't be ok with larger rear rotor ?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I've got at least 1000 miles with lots of heavy braking on my similar Magura setup. No issues.

Ignore the numbers, I created this pic for another post months ago.

Edit: Someone is going to ask about this. My pad scuff marks are exactly where they should be on the rotor. The pad to disk alignment would be screwed up if I used bevel washers under the adapter or under the caliper.

MT7withQM45.jpg

Dirk74

Subscriber
Jun 6, 2020
Germany
Did you use 2 adapters for the front?? Because there's no SRAM 60mm adapter (or I didn't see it?)

edit: or maybe you don't have the same fork as me (fox34 -> didn't change it)

Fox 34 has PM 6" (160mm direkt mount)
I guess they don't recommend to go for a rotor larger than 200/203mm.

fitlikemike

Jun 12, 2020
Aboyne
Hi!
I ordered the new SRAM 220mm HS2 rotor to put on my Turbo Levo 2019 carbon. It's the first time I'm changing a rotor and due to the size increment (200mm -> 220mm), I swapped the +20mm adapter to +40mm. But those really don't have the same shape... so I'm wondering if my mounting is OK or not...

What do you think? does it look safe :unsure:? (with the +20mm adapter, the screws were going directly into the frame....)

Here are some pics (don't worry about the left screw, I have to find one which has the right size!) :
View attachment 71615
View attachment 71616
View attachment 71617

I know some of you will tell me that it's better to mount the bigger rotor in the front.... but I don't agree with this! I would say this is correct when you ride on 'normal' roads... but on long steep descents done on unstable surface, I need my rear brake to control the descent!

So if this works, I'll have 200mm front and 220mm rear ?. (+ also installed ceramic pads.... instead of the originals which were be sintered I think)

Thanks for your help!

This looks smart. I'm setting mine up. I have the rotor fitted but need to know the details for the correct post mount please. I did get one which was 40mm IS but this was incompatible. Can anyone help..?

Screenshot 2022-02-23 at 10.29.41.png

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Yes on front, but on the back I dont see point for 220mm... 220mm rotor gives you 10% more breaking torque with same pull on the lever, bigger rotor also disapates heat better.

fitlikemike

Jun 12, 2020
Aboyne
Yes on front, but on the back I dont see point for 220mm... 220mm rotor gives you 10% more breaking torque with same pull on the lever, bigger rotor also disapates heat better.
but.. isn't that just urban myth matey ?

fitlikemike

Jun 12, 2020
Aboyne
Silly me. Apologies if you thought that I was attempting to convince you of anything.
There's no accounting for taste they say. Thanks again for the tip. Have a great weekend. (y)

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
This doesn't convince me. 220mm on the back also looks silly.
Why does the test not convince you of the validity of a larger rear rotor?

I run 220 front and rear and it is a great combo. In relation to not looking good, that's a personal thing but most ebikes don't look that great anyway imo.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles