Levo Gen 2 Turbo Levo link from Cascade

Salespunk

Jul 27, 2020
Encinitas, CA
For the heavier riders our there you will get much more out of a custom tune on your rear shock compared to something like the Cascade link. Standard valving is tailored to rider weights from 150-200 lbs. Outside of that range you will not see the best from the shock without changing the shim stack.

I highly recommend someone like Fluid Focus in San Diego that is certified by all the major shock manufacturers, has a bench dyno, etc. There are not many tuners that run these types of setups and there are a lot of "backyard" tuners out there that will be hit or miss on getting you the right setup.

All this being said the Cascade solutions are very good. I ran one on my '19 SJ Evo and it really helped the bike making it more progressive. As a side note, a 55 mm stroke shock does not make the bike more progressive, it just moves farther on the curve. The leverage start point and end point at the stock 52.5 mm of shaft travel do not change.

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
I bought an aftermarket new '21 DPX2 for my '20 Expert SL. It had a really light compression tune, was wallowing quite a bit, even with LSC dialed up and high pressure. Cascade link didn't help much.

The '21 Expert SL comes stock with a DPX2, sent my shock to Fox requesting the same tune as the new SL. All in it was about $165 (they installed a new can because apparently I put a dent in it somehow), so It might be cheaper.

While the shock was at Fox, ran the stock DPS w/ the cascade link. Felt pretty good, definitely an improvement over the stock link.

Recently installed the newly tuned DPX2. Rear suspension (paired w/a Pike Ultimate) is dialed now, so good.

jbodnar

Patreon
Subscriber
Nov 23, 2019
California
I bought an aftermarket new '21 DPX2 for my '20 Expert SL. It had a really light compression tune, was wallowing quite a bit, even with LSC dialed up and high pressure. Cascade link didn't help much.

The '21 Expert SL comes stock with a DPX2, sent my shock to Fox requesting the same tune as the new SL. All in it was about $165 (they installed a new can because apparently I put a dent in it somehow), so It might be cheaper.

While the shock was at Fox, ran the stock DPS w/ the cascade link. Felt pretty good, definitely an improvement over the stock link.

Recently installed the newly tuned DPX2. Rear suspension (paired w/a Pike Ultimate) is dialed now, so good.
Are you running 210 x 55 or 52.5?

I have a 2020 DPX2 210 x 55 tuned for a Ripmo...I have not sent mine in to Fox for tuning yet.

CoreyB

Sep 22, 2020
Oregon
Sounds like the Cascade Link on a FF Levo with a 55mm stroke shock works and doesn't have any contact issues. I have a '21 SL that I've put a 55mm X2 shock on. Does anybody know if the geometry of the frame on the SL is different enough that the Cascade Link will not work with a 55mm shock on the SL? I've messaged Cascade but have not heard back from them yet.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Sounds like the Cascade Link on a FF Levo with a 55mm stroke shock works and doesn't have any contact issues. I have a '21 SL that I've put a 55mm X2 shock on. Does anybody know if the geometry of the frame on the SL is different enough that the Cascade Link will not work with a 55mm shock on the SL? I've messaged Cascade but have not heard back from them yet.

there are mixed results on this. A few guys on here are doing it fine. I can’t see it working on mine at 55mm, but I have modified the geometry a bit which makes everything tighter.
I would say it probably will work if you haven’t messed with the geo at all

CoreyB

Sep 22, 2020
Oregon
there are mixed results on this. A few guys on here are doing it fine. I can’t see it working on mine at 55mm, but I have modified the geometry a bit which makes everything tighter.
I would say it probably will work if you haven’t messed with the geo at all
Received some info from Cascade that I'll post here for others reference. I'll post pics of my install when it's complete. Quote from Cascade: "Thanks for reaching out about running the 55mm stroke shock on your Levo SL with our link. Due to variances in frame construction, a fair amount of Levo SL frames are able to run a 55mm stroke shock but not all. We have a large number of riders running a 55mm stroke shock on their Levo SLs with no issues but some frames, even of the same year, model and size are unable to run the longer stroke shock. As usual, it is best practice to check for clearance between all moving parts after changing out suspension components. If the link does not fit your specific frame, we do take returns on links in as-new condition."

CoreyB

Sep 22, 2020
Oregon
You wanna walk me through your maths that say a 52.5 to 55mm shock stroke takes you from the stock 146mm travel to 149?
Because I get 151. The 2mm off doesn’t matter. I’m just wondering if you know something I don’t
Here’s my math:
You wanna walk me through your maths that say a 52.5 to 55mm shock stroke takes you from the stock 146mm travel to 149?
Because I get 151. The 2mm off doesn’t matter. I’m just wondering if you know something I don’t
this is the math I used:

Stock Linkage: 52.5mm stroke with 150mm travel equals ratio of 2.857

Stock Linkage: 55mm strokeX 2.857 = 157.135

Cascade: 52.5mm stroke with 153mm travel (from Cascade webpage) equals ratio of 2.914

Cascade: 55mm stroke X 2.914 gets me 160.28.

CoreyB

Sep 22, 2020
Oregon
Received some info from Cascade that I'll post here for others reference. I'll post pics of my install when it's complete. Quote from Cascade: "Thanks for reaching out about running the 55mm stroke shock on your Levo SL with our link. Due to variances in frame construction, a fair amount of Levo SL frames are able to run a 55mm stroke shock but not all. We have a large number of riders running a 55mm stroke shock on their Levo SLs with no issues but some frames, even of the same year, model and size are unable to run the longer stroke shock. As usual, it is best practice to check for clearance between all moving parts after changing out suspension components. If the link does not fit your specific frame, we do take returns on links in as-new condition."
I received my CC link today and installed it and then removed all air from the shock to check clearances. Unfortunately, the link contacted the rear triangle on full compression. Sadly will be returning the link. So, to summarize, on my 2021 Levo SL Expert size XL with the rear shock swapped out for a 55mm Fox X2, the Cascade Components Link will not work.

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
Short story - more progression.

Long Story
for Levo SL ->

For Levo ->

Last edited:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I received my CC link today and installed it and then removed all air from the shock to check clearances. Unfortunately, the link contacted the rear triangle on full compression. Sadly will be returning the link. So, to summarize, on my 2021 Levo SL Expert size XL with the rear shock swapped out for a 55mm Fox X2, the Cascade Components Link will not work.

it’s hit or miss. 55mm stroke would not work on mine. Possibly with the flip chip in high. Running a mullet currently and mostly liking the setup. I may remove the spacer on my EXT to go 55mm when I service it if I keep the mullet setup going.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I have a stupid question...or at least partially stupid :p I get that increasing progression allows you to get both increased small bump compliance at the start of the stroke and increased bottoming resistance at the and. However, or regardless, the cascade link increases leverage ratio EVERYWHERE over stock:

Turbo_Levo_Leverage.png

This means that bottoming resistance is actually WORSE than stock for the same spring rate. You therefore need a higher spring rate, which just counteracts the small bump compliance. Seems a bit like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Then again these difference seem too miniscule to really matter...

I suppose, in the end, the biggest advantage is more travel. The other stuff can all be tuned.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
It’s about the amount of progression. If you matched the spring rate to sag you would have better small bump and bottom out because of the increased progressivity. The leverage rate gap at 0mm is greater than at 150mm -> greater overall progression. If you made a force curve, it would be easier to visualize.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
It’s about the amount of progression. If you matched the spring rate to sag you would have better small bump and bottom out because of the increased progressivity. The leverage rate gap at 0mm is greater than at 150mm -> greater overall progression. If you made a force curve, it would be easier to visualize.
Thanks, it makes sense but it seems like a really small change. I wonder if I could really tell the difference; but that says more about me and less about the part :p

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Thanks, it makes sense but it seems like a really small change. I wonder if I could really tell the difference; but that says more about me and less about the part :p
I would say if you are someone who can tell if your tire pressure is “off” your normal and/or regularly have bottom outs on ride - you would be able to tell differences. Is it worth it? I can’t answer that one for you, but it’s not a small difference IMO.

kawamaha

Apr 1, 2020
Monaco
Has anyone the measurements of the Genuine and/or the Cascade Link?
This is what I would need to do the math (Length1 and 2 and the Offset in mm or Degrees):

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles