Turbo levo comp 2019 vs giant trance e+1 2019

Mikey1984

Oct 27, 2018
North east uk
Hi im really wanting to get my self a emtb as i loaned a spesh leve comp 2019 last weekend and i loved it loads to me it brings a load more fun into the mtb world. But then i noticed the giant trance e+1 2019 that has alot better spec for around 1k less but the problem is i carnt seem to try the giant no where. I love how the levo looks like a normal mtb but i also love the colour orange :) . Are there big differnces between the 2? is the brose a more powerfull hill climber with that extra 10nm or torque? any help would be great thanks in advance Mike.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hungary/Bosnia and Herzegovina
The Yamaha PW-X motor has brutal torque from low RPM and I like its power delivery. I only rode the old Levo and I preferred the Yamaha over that Brose it was stronger and more responsive. I personally found the new Levo poorly specced for the price.
Check out this guy's videos he's riding the new Giant:

Mikey1984

Oct 27, 2018
North east uk
The Yamaha PW-X motor has brutal torque from low RPM and I like its power delivery. I only rode the old Levo and I preferred the Yamaha over that Brose it was stronger and more responsive. I personally found the new Levo poorly specced for the price.
Check out this guy's videos he's riding the new Giant:

Thanks for the fast reply yea iv watched that vid a few times it does look a lot of bike for the money. I didnt like the 2018 levo comapred to the 2019 as the 218 feels laggy and not as smooth. How does the new yamaha motor feel compared to the brose 2019? cheers Mike.

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Thanks for the fast reply yea iv watched that vid a few times it does look a lot of bike for the money. I didnt like the 2018 levo comapred to the 2019 as the 218 feels laggy and not as smooth. How does the new yamaha motor feel compared to the brose 2019? cheers Mike.
I didn't ride the 2019 Brose so I cannot answer that. So far the Yamaha PW-X was the most powerful that I rode and I would be surprised if the 2019 Brose was any stronger.

Oldmanlevo

Sep 1, 2018
U.S.
My Bulls E-stream EVO AM-3 is a Brose motor and is listed at 100 NM...its claimed to be the highest torque that Brose puts out. And it has a 650 watt battery, not as big as the 2019 levo, but close...
Not sure if this has changed, but it was rumered that Giant was modifying their motor system and such and all future issues would have to go through Giant...
I tryed and successfully swapped my Bulls hardtail Brose motor out with my Levo motor and it worked fine. So, if the stories are true, I would not look at the Giant. (And I am a fan of the company)...just thoughts and a couple of pennies...

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
My Bulls E-stream EVO AM-3 is a Brose motor and is listed at 100 NM...its claimed to be the highest torque that Brose puts out. And it has a 650 watt battery, not as big as the 2019 levo, but close...
Not sure if this has changed, but it was rumered that Giant was modifying their motor system and such and all future issues would have to go through Giant...
I tryed and successfully swapped my Bulls hardtail Brose motor out with my Levo motor and it worked fine. So, if the stories are true, I would not look at the Giant. (And I am a fan of the company)...just thoughts and a couple of pennies...

On the Levo, the 700Wh battery starts from the 8100€ Carbon Expert, everything below that comes with the 504Wh battery.
I don't understand what stories are you talking about? Giant uses a modified version of the Yamaha firmware and their own display, what's wrong with that?

Oldmanlevo

Sep 1, 2018
U.S.
On the Levo, the 700Wh battery starts from the 8100€ Carbon Expert, everything below that comes with the 504Wh battery.
I don't understand what stories are you talking about? Giant uses a modified version of the Yamaha firmware and their own display, what's wrong with that?
If you haven't heard the stories, you won't understand the stories...to be fair, I never investigated beyond what I heard. When I was looking for my first e-mtb, i was trying to find a giant full sus, they were sold out everywhere and then found a Levo on sale and never went back.
The story I was told by a mech friend at the local Giant store is that they used the guts and replaced the shell with a form that they wanted to use, as well as changing the motor operating parameters...if this is true (i don't know, again stories/rumers) then you will not be able to pick up just any Yamaha motor (new or used) and install it...
I am only bringing it up as a "thing to check on"...if I am wrong, cool/outstanding...like I have said I really do like Giant as a company...

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
If you haven't heard the stories, you won't understand the stories...to be fair, I never investigated beyond what I heard. When I was looking for my first e-mtb, i was trying to find a giant full sus, they were sold out everywhere and then found a Levo on sale and never went back.
The story I was told by a mech friend at the local Giant store is that they used the guts and replaced the shell with a form that they wanted to use, as well as changing the motor operating parameters...if this is true (i don't know, again stories/rumers) then you will not be able to pick up just any Yamaha motor (new or used) and install it...
I am only bringing it up as a "thing to check on"...if I am wrong, cool/outstanding...like I have said I really do like Giant as a company...
I don't understand why would you want to swap around motors? You have a Giant dealer, you have a warranty and they should be able to sort you out if you have any problems.

Oldmanlevo

Sep 1, 2018
U.S.
I don't understand why would you want to swap around motors? You have a Giant dealer, you have a warranty and they should be able to sort you out if you have any problems.
Unless your ebike comes with a lifetime motor warranty, mine goes out of warranty at the end of this year, it is an issue, at least to me as I do all of my own work...as it stands now, I have 3 motors I can swap around in a pinch, or when out of warranty...

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Yamaha in the Giants is altered to there own spec, so as you say a generic Yamaha motor wont work in a giant. and they use a bespoke Panasonic battery that is made in house in the Giant Factory.

Oldmanlevo

Sep 1, 2018
U.S.
And if that is not a concern, the giant ebikes are quite good in their own right...
I only wanted to bring it up so as to be as informed as possible before shelling out the money...

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Unless your ebike comes with a lifetime motor warranty, mine goes out of warranty at the end of this year, it is an issue, at least to me as I do all of my own work...as it stands now, I have 3 motors I can swap around in a pinch, or when out of warranty...
So if you need three motors why couldn’t you have three motors for the Giant? ?

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Possible misunderstanding, I have three e-mtb's that all use the brose motor, and as such, I can swap between the bikes, if I smoke one...or I crack another frame...
Well, the OP is planning to buy his first ebike so I would think swapping motors is less important for him but I understand if it's important for you as you are running three bikes. If I was running three ebikes I would prefer if they were running the same batteries so taking a spare for a ride wouldn't be an issue. :)

I just looked at the bikes and the £4299 Trance E+1 is £300 more than the cheapest 2019 Levo but it has the specs of the £7,250 Expert Carbon (minus the carbon frame and the 700Wh battery). Their geometry is pretty much the same - reach/stack/head tube angle/seat tube angle.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The big difference between the two bikes if you take the motor out of the equation is the weight, the Giant is aprx 1.5kg heavier depending on exact models you are comparing

Oldmanlevo

Sep 1, 2018
U.S.
The thing, inho, is the motor and battery.
I understand we all have our own important things, but battery size (small and lite for trails, big and strong for XC style riding, etc.), and none of the motors produce and act the same. Considering derailers/brakes and what-not are cheap compared to frame/battery/motor, i think its important to get them right first, name brand doesn't make for a great ride versus the proper reaction to your desired pedal style and preferred riding type...

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
The thing, inho, is the motor and battery.
I understand we all have our own important things, but battery size (small and lite for trails, big and strong for XC style riding, etc.), and none of the motors produce and act the same. Considering derailers/brakes and what-not are cheap compared to frame/battery/motor, i think its important to get them right first, name brand doesn't make for a great ride versus the proper reaction to your desired pedal style and preferred riding type...
I agree, but I would also add the suspension components to the 'not cheap' list as they are expensive upgrades compared to the others and determining factors in the bike's capabilities.

Oldmanlevo

Sep 1, 2018
U.S.
I agree, but I would also add the suspension components to the 'not cheap' list as they are expensive upgrades compared to the others and determining factors in the bike's capabilities.

This is true as well. I used to change my rear spring on my levo every time i went from XC to trail/DH. The coil I use for XC was 800.00 American alone...

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I haven't ridden them (yet), but having seen the 2019 base Levo and Trance E+1 sitting alongside each other this w/e I don't think there is any situation I would choose the Levo. The finish on the Giant is gorgeous (can't believe I am saying that, normally I am not a Giant fan), the battery integration is much more convenient, spec so much better (especially the suspension) and the geo relatively similar apart from teh 15mm chainstays. As such it's difficult to believe the Giant won't ride substantially better.

Yes it's heavier, but none of the current crop are light that use a 500Wh battery. Unless we were talking about a bike that is in 18kg Ezesty territory I don't think I'd see any benefit from the 1.5kg weight saving. As to the "special" motor in the Giant, well, if you're really worried you could afford to buy a spare, keep it as a backup and still be ~£2k up over a similarly specced Levo! :eek::D

Last edited:

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
...I just looked at the bikes and the £4299 Trance E+1 is £300 more than the cheapest 2019 Levo but it has the specs of the £7,250 Expert Carbon (minus the carbon frame and the 700Wh battery). Their geometry is pretty much the same - reach/stack/head tube angle/seat tube angle.
Also remember the E+2 as well - that still has far superior suspension than a base level Levo and is the equal or better in other areas too, but is below the £4K mark.

Tracne E+2.jpg

Trance E+ 2 Pro Electric Bike (2019) | Men E-bike bike | Giant Bicycles United Kingdom

Last edited:

Oldmanlevo

Sep 1, 2018
U.S.
I haven't rode either of them as well, I can't find either one in stock at the shops...but if history is the lesson, they will be hard to come by in the U.S., that being said, i would still lean towards the Brose motor. I am not sold on the Yamaha. The Shimono steps is good, hate the Bosch...with all of them, they are loud compared to the Brose. When I run with friends, they usually think I am running with the motor off as it is that quiet...

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
I must admit the absence of an adaptive mode in the Yamaha is a bit of a worry to me, but given support levels in all modes can be tuned in the app I don't think it's insurmountable. Also there is nothing to stop them introducing an adaptive mode in a future firmware upgrade; they have all the sensors needed to do this.

I personally don't care about the noise, at least not in the context of a ~£3k difference in price - as long as it doesn't banshee wail like a 2019 Levo it's fine... ;)

Last edited:

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
These 2 bikes are at the top of my list too (Trance E+2 & Base Levo). Waiting to see the Giant in the flesh. Really don’t want to spend an extra $1000 on upgrading a base Levo.

Mikey1984

Oct 27, 2018
North east uk
Hi thanks for all the input i have decided to go for the giant trance e+0 sx 2019 im just waiting on the inviciframe being fitted then its ready to pick up and i carnt wait :) .This bike was way out of my price range as i was looking at the e+1 but my local dealer is giving me that good of a deal on it i couldnt turn it down. In my opinion i think the leveo is way over priced for what parts you get on them even though i did really enjoy the levo on the test ride. What i found from reading forums and watching tons of vids is that dont just buy a bike for the motor you should be looking at geomtory/spec/fit as all the top motors are good anyway.

trance-sx-e--0-studio-photo-1532099632052-h0n8p2shfq1l-630-354.jpg

MY19TranceSXE_0Pro_ColorA_angle_2_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_6107-600x400.jpg

Tamas

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Hi thanks for all the input i have decided to go for the giant trance e+0 sx 2019 im just waiting on the inviciframe being fitted then its ready to pick up and i carnt wait :) .This bike was way out of my price range as i was looking at the e+1 but my local dealer is giving me that good of a deal on it i couldnt turn it down. In my opinion i think the leveo is way over priced for what parts you get on them even though i did really enjoy the levo on the test ride. What i found from reading forums and watching tons of vids is that dont just buy a bike for the motor you should be looking at geomtory/spec/fit as all the top motors are good anyway.

View attachment 7378

View attachment 7379

View attachment 7380
Uhh... this beast looks dope... :)

Mikey1984

Oct 27, 2018
North east uk
You have made the right choice Mikey

So much more bike for the coin and no upgrades to be done.

Welcome to the new crew
Yea i think so to mate :)
I think the 2019 giant e bike line up is gonna do really well as it looks a massive improvement over the previous models.
Have you got the orange and black E+1 Steven? if so it looks really nice :) i just love the colour orange.
If you could share some pics of it would be great i carnt wait to get out on myn.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles