Levo Gen 2 Turbo Levo Chain guide

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
Mine's all buggered up too. I looked everywhere to no avail. My LBS says he's ordered one for me but didn't know if/when it'd appear

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
The bolt on the chain guide is actually square with threads only on two sides hence why it strips easily

It goes in from the back and sits flush with the guide then you tighten it up with the chain ring bolt on the front

Its a very poor design, Ive killed two bolts and you cant buy the bolts on their own, you have to buy the whole chain guide for around £25

Ive now made up my own round bolt and drilled out the chain guide to make it fit, works well and hasn't moved in months

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Couple of pics

122032831_362892231789226_2461619575833113122_n.jpg

122015910_823565368380874_1699971535345778708_n.jpg

Unicycle_DG

Sep 26, 2020
Kentucky
Looking for link to buy new turbo levo chain guide
Chain Guide 2021 Specialized Turbo Comp FSR

I’m in the United States. Kentucky. I pointed at the chain guide during the handover of my new 2021 Specialized Turbo Levo FSR and said to the mechanic at my LBS “I heard folks have been having issues with the chain guides” and he said “if it starts acting up it can be removed without consequence” almost too quaintly in a manner I was suspicious he might’ve stripped it during initial build.

Back home for a quick ride and felt like I could hear it rubbing so I used my lightest weight Park Tool torque wrench, having already read y’all’s horror stories about stripping bolts and unable to source the part were left with no choice but to purchase the whole kit-and-Caboodle for £25 from Berkshire (My LBS doesn’t come across as the Chris Reilly customer service type so no telling how long it would take for them to have one delivered), and when I’m telling you I barely put any torque whatsoever on the larger 6mm “motor mount bolt” in the top of my picture (the one with LEVO stamped on it) it was loose to the point it barely registering on my lightest weight Park Tool wrench. Not even close to approaching 5 nm, and it pretty much spun freely. Needless to say it took it much less than the 18 Nm, 160 in-lbf suggested in the owners manual (see picture of page ?) to righty-tighten it (about a quarter turn) then I noticed the whole chain guide was spinning clockwise (up away from the chain) along with it. So I stopped and turned it back lefty-loosely to move the chain guide back down towards the chain to where I think I remember it was in the first place.

Can someone please explain the chain guide to me like I’m two years old (not mechanically inclined so not far from it)? I’m beginning to understand everyone saying rip the darn thing off. Given my bicycle is just two days old, and my LBS is closed until Tuesday, I’m open to suggestions.

95C874A5-22B3-4676-858A-A091C593BA1C.jpeg

90F3B6E2-C808-4334-B22F-81F46BECAC66.jpeg

MSH

Nov 8, 2020
Spain
I just removed the chain guide. No problem at all, even better I might say as it doesn't rub the chain.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You need to separate the 2 procedures. Loosen the chain guide bolt. You can then correctly torque the motor bolt whilst holding the chain guide bracket roughly in the position you have it now. Usually for correct adjustment it leans slightly towards the front of the bike rather than being vertical. You can now adjust the chain guide and gently tighten the chain guide bolt once done. The correct position is when the arch shape on the bottom of the guide aligns with the ridge below the teeth on the chainring. The "window" in the chainguide should align with the chain. Use the lowest gear and get someone to depress the rear shock to about half travel to check the chain guide does not foul the chain. The chain rubbing the sides of the chain guide is normal/inevitable in any gear above or below the centre cog of the cassette.

Unicycle_DG

Sep 26, 2020
Kentucky
That explains it Mikerb. Thank you! As loose as the top “motor mount bolt” is and seeing as how another 3/4 turn does pretty much nothing as far as tightening it, I’m beginning to think my LBS mechanic who built MY21 might’ve accidentally swapped the DD bolt for the shorter EE bolt as explained by Specialized Rider Care.

ECF20525-F59B-4657-85A1-7139DFD8570C.png

RedThunder

May 19, 2020
Voyager 1
@#lazy
Your probably right. I need to start a new thread.

Seriously, though just had to get a LEvo motor fixed and whilst the motor dropped out weeks ago a unknown part was left kicking around. Got the motor back to fitted all back into the bike.....and then found out what the unknown is for....the bloody chainguide backing.

The chain guide is barly marked since 2019 and rather than dropping the motor out again....right pain that was. Mostly because of the top motor retain bolts strange ali block not lining up.

Basically is it even worth having on the bike, does make a difference. Dont have one on my Giant of 2019.

Aug 25, 2022
NorCal
For what it's worth, my 2021 Turbo Levo Chain Guide rubbed in certain gears and was super problematic until I realized my rear shock needed more pressure. I guess the sag was enough to cause the chain to rub the guide. Weird, but got it resolved. Needed to adjust with full weight on the bike, then it was fine. Has a tendency to loosen and move though.

Aug 25, 2022
NorCal
Same issues. Sag and certain gears make it rub more. (LBS's tend to adjust it on the rack with no sag and no attention to what gear it's in.) Mine clearly isn't centered on the chain ring and I'm tired of the irritation so I'm going to try finding a proper washer or shim to center it on the chain ring, put it in the most offending gear, have someone my weight sit on the bike, put a dab of removable locktite on the bolts, and adjust/reinstall with the proper torque. If that doesn't work it's going in the spare parts bin.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again “the whole design of the spesh chain guide is absolutely SHIT , it couldn’t be made any worse” 😂

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles