Levo Gen 2 Turbo Levo 2021 price increase

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
I saw a photo on a FB page from one bike shop, there was a price tag 6299€ on Levo Comp 2021 and beside price tag there was notice that price will increase to 6999€ from 1st November. If this was legit and that price bump it's coming from Specialized and will be worldwide, lot of people will get very angry, but the price increase was kinda expected (not so high though!), demand for (e)bikes is very high, lead times very long, bike shops have almost no bikes on stock left, bike parts are hardly to get or are more expensive, all due to worldwide corona crisis ... On the bright side for current Levo owners, resell value of our used bikes will be significantly higher :cool:

Last edited:

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Basingstoke UK
No idea what Levos go for but I'm seeing kenevo comps at 5.7k up from 5.5k which itself is up from 5k last year.
Also lordgun, the super cheap euro shop that used to sell kenevo experts at about 5.7k now has them for 6.7k.
It's all getting a bit pricey. Will be hanging onto my 20 kenevo with 4 year warranty for a while yet.

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Today I'm seeing exactly same price increase (Levo Comp 2021 from 6,3>7k€) on a website of my LBS, so it looks it's global.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Supply and demand...this is somewhat to be expected. I also wonder if the manufacturers are starting to consider and budget for a larger number of warranty costs in their pricing.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Looks like I dodged a bullet there! My whole bike leasing process has (FINALLY!) just been completed and at the old price. Should be picking the bike up this week.

Unicycle_DG

Sep 26, 2020
Kentucky
Lucky for me, my LBS doesn’t take down payments. I had to pay the full $6,700 ($6,300 + tax + shipping) (US) before they’d order my 2021 Turbo Levo from Specialized. Still waiting, 1 month later, for the call letting me know they have my bike. Hope I don’t show up on new bike handover day only to find I owe an additional ~$700.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
There's inflation and 'Specialized inflation', I realise they've up the specs every year, but less than a year ago the price of a Comp Carbon was £6k, and an Expert was £7.5k. Spesh dropped the Comp Carbon, an alloy Comp is now £6.3k and the Expert has gone up £1k in that time.

I was so lucky there were good discounts to be had when got my Comp Carbon, I wanted a carbon Frame and couldn't stretch to an Expert last year, even with the discounts. There's no way I could/would pay the new prices (SHMBO would be wearing my balls as earrings!), but as long as the demand is there Spesh will make as much as they can, but these sort of price increases does not make them look good.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Specialized pricing has run out of control. They are pricing themselves out the market at a time when other bike companies are beginning to catch up with their developments. It does seem more likely now the Orbrea Rise is going to sell by the skip full.

levo SL expert 2020 £7500 , 2021 £8500

the S-works is Likely to break a world record for most expensive mass production bike.?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Read into this what you will.

36367DBA-C20D-43BC-88AB-08EE93695BD9.jpeg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The factors that go into pricing are complex but no company introduces significant price increases unless forced to do so by a big change in its costs. I do not know exactly how Specialized is incorporated but its HQ is in California and 49% of its equity is owned by Merida Taiwan. Its frames are made in the Far East and components from a variety of sources. I suspect a good part of this price increase has more to do with trade tariffs than anything else. It is certainly not a response to high demand and limited supply...that is a suicide strategy as far as Brand reputation is concerned because it would be seen as predatory. There have been big trade tariff changes between the US and China and the US and the EU for example.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

From the article:

When asked for comment, Specialized UK’s head of marketing, Kirsty Woodcock said:

“We’ve seen incredible growth in the demand for bikes over the last few months. The Covid-19 pandemic has truly sparked the cycling revolution. Whilst this is great for our sport, it has led to some challenges in meeting this increased demand. Our entire supply chain is facing unprecedented difficulties, leading to more complexity and increased costs. We are also investing heavily to increase production and maintain stability. This has led to adjustments to some prices as we set ourselves up to better meet the needs of more riders.”

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The only rationale in that response regarding price, is that Specialized actually have a DECLINE in sales due to component supply shortages and reduced bike production volumes, but have failed to reduce costs in line with the reduced turnover. Every other brand is dealing in the same market, so have we seen extensive price increases across all the brands??
"...some adjustments to prices.." marketing double speak!!

If you look at how the market has operated since March there have been 2 phases. The first phase was a greatly increased demand. The second phase was the virtual complete non availability of new bikes. So the first phase merely accelerated the annual stock income/turnover but then changed to a period of very few sales because no new production had been in operation to replenish stock. That translates into a severe cashflow problem at some stage.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I can sell my year old 2020 kenevo comp for more than I paid for it , not good ?
supply and demand will determine second hand prices ...not the current new purchase price....and it appears the market is pretty flooded with second hand ebikes....so I would not celebrate too soon!!

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
supply and demand will determine second hand prices ...not the current new purchase price....and it appears the market is pretty flooded with second hand ebikes....so I would not celebrate too soon!!
I’ve not seen many 2020 kenevo’s ( 4yr warranty and a higher 2021 price for the same bike but only 2yr warranty) for sale and the ones I have , have been more than I paid !
Not selling mine anytime soon but nice that spesh has upped the value of it !

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I’ve not seen many 2020 kenevo’s ( 4yr warranty and a higher 2021 price for the same bike but only 2yr warranty) for sale and the ones I have , have been more than I paid !
Not selling mine anytime soon but nice that spesh has upped the value of it !
...which does not tell you if they sold or if they for what eventual price!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I discussed the new pricing at my local concept store yesterday and was forwarded this:
View attachment 43740
I bet that s-works milk is tasty though. It will be lower fat to make it lighter and I bet the top screws on and off easier. I want it !!! It looks way nicer than the $400 milk too.

Do you know if they're going to do an S-Works SL (Super Lait) milk ? Maybe in a 500ml container so it's lighter, easier to pour, easier to carry back from the shop ? You can probably dilute it to make it go further or use a smaller glass to make it last longer ? I know it will cost more because everyone will want Super Lait, but I'm not sure I really want Full Fat milk or the normal cumbersome milk packaging.

I heard Orbea are selling a slightly diluted full fat milk, but in a smaller lighter container. Seems to work out equally expensive once you specify a screw cap and none slip handle.

Crap, I might have to consider slightly out of date full fat milk from Santa Cruz, discounts are at least available there.

willeco

Jul 28, 2020
Halle
Lucky for me, my LBS doesn’t take down payments. I had to pay the full $6,700 ($6,300 + tax + shipping) (US) before they’d order my 2021 Turbo Levo from Specialized. Still waiting, 1 month later, for the call letting me know they have my bike. Hope I don’t show up on new bike handover day only to find I owe an additional ~$700.
Hmm... I ordered a Turbo Levo Comp a couple of months ago at my LBS. Did not have to sign anything (or down payment) but the price was 6.299 euro (Belgium), which was the price mentioned on all sites for the Y2021.
The bike was due December 15th, got postponed a couple of weeks ago to end of December and 2 days ago I got a call from lBS telling the bike will be there for me next week. We talked about some changes I asked for (thicker grips, other saddle, other cassette and bigger chainring etc). Nothing was said about a price increase.
The same evening I looked at the Specialized site and noticed the price had gone up to 6.999 euro ( = +700 euro !!).
Checked other shop sites in Belgium and surrounding countries and yes, all prices were now 6.999 euro (I even found one that had 7.199 euro posted...
Due to the whole Covid thing I did not go to the shop yet, don't want to ask by phone or mail.
I share the same hope: that I'll get the bike at the price that was set when I ordered it...

Gav TLEC

Jun 14, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Australian stores are sold out of what little Turbo Levo 2021 models already and those prices already increased by $2000 for the same bike I purchased in April (2020 TL expert carbon)
From $12200 to $14000. I hope that is the price hike you’re talking about because another rise would be a little steep!

valium97

Oct 21, 2020
Germany
This is a global price increase and the worst part is, that Specialized charges the new prices to the lbs’ even for bikes they have ordered for the ‘old’ pricing so I expect only the customers that got their bikes before Nov 1 will still get the lower price.

Working at a bike store that is a SP dealer I know that the dealers are not amused by the way SP does business and it will be interesting to see how this evolves.
While I got my 21 Levo two weeks ago I and have been very happy with all kinds of SP bikes for years, I will not support a company doing business like this in the future.

Sorry SP, you have gone too far this time.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles