• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Tubless plug puncture repair, permanent or not?

jhrfc

May 28, 2021
South East England
Hi i got my first puncture on the trail last week. I managed to fix it with a small plug, blow it up with a co2 cartridge and finish the ride. When I got home I let out the co2 and pumped back up with a track pump, and trimmed the plug and left it to face down on the tire.
The tire lost no air over the week, and I went on a ride today, part of the way around the plug either blew out or was pulled out. I plugged it again, blow it up with a cartridge and finished the ride fine.
So, was I unlucky or should some another permanent fix (inside the tire?), be made. There are hundreds of videos and guides on the net to plugging a tire filling with sealant, etc but absolutely nothing about more permanent repairs, likewise I can find no mtb specific internal patches plugs for sale. any advice?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have used the Stans Dart to seal a hole that sealant alone was refusing to fix. It stayed fixed, so I assumed that plugs are OK as a permanent repair. However it was not a big hole. With your problem, where the plug doesn't stay in, I would repeat the plug procedure but this time use some rubber glue. Clean the sealant away from the hole as it may interfere with the curing process.

PS: I had thought that CO2 interfered with some sealants. I don't use CO2, so I never bothered remembering which sealants are affected.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Used STAN'S once to plug a tear in a sidewall. It lasted the life of the tyre. One point, a coating on the plug reacts with latex sealant, like STAN'S, hence "Dual Action Repair for Tubeless". If you're quick with the plug (I have mine in the side pocket of a waist pack) you won't lose much air and will just need to top up. Air only has 0.04% so if I did have to put a lot of CO2 in a tyre, I would deflate it and refill with air just on case.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I have used the Stans Dart to seal a hole that sealant alone was refusing to fix. It stayed fixed, so I assumed that plugs are OK as a permanent repair. However it was not a big hole. With your problem, where the plug doesn't stay in, I would repeat the plug procedure but this time use some rubber glue. Clean the sealant away from the hole as it may interfere with the curing process.

PS: I had thought that CO2 interfered with some sealants. I don't use CO2, so I never bothered remembering which sealants are affected.
STAN'S advises that prolonged exposure to CO2 adversely affects their sealant and recommends replacing it if you have used it to inflate the tyre.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles