Trying to get e MTB’s prices in perspective

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
So, fancying a full sus e mtb, as I am really enjoying the e Sentier, decided I might sell a motorcycle to fund the new bike.
The bike, a mint “extreme” trail bike, 2017 Montesa 4 Ride, Honda powered 269cc fuel injected, 85kg mountain goat.
Worth between 4 and 4.5k........I look at an e bike, and I’m wondering... why the heck are they so expensive!
I probably enjoy the e bike more, so that should be enough to justify the change, but I still struggle when I look at the Montesa.......

FD08D3BB-DBA0-40D5-8810-5B5E78ECFF81.png

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Comparatively low volumes. Nascent technology, developing fast. Heavier bikes (than an analogue) so tend to be specced with stiffer, higher end suspension (at least the full sussera do). Primarily being marketed at the cash rich, time poor people. All of these are factors, but I’d guess the first two are the dominant ones.

Certainly when I’ve talked to bike shop owners they have stated margins are generally slimmer than on analogue bikes, so it doesn’t seem that the major factor is manufacturers milking buyers... well, except on the Levo maybe! ;):ROFLMAO:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Don't compare them to motor vehicles.
compare them to non e mtbs.
Take your e-Sentier. Considering the Shimano motor costs £900, Battery £600, charger £150 and shifter £100 They're actually not bad value at all.
My Esommet when bought was roughly the same price as an alu Nukeproof mega with prtty much the same spec level

Brianjonesphoto

Patreon
Oct 8, 2018
Seattle USA
Right there with you. I have an 05 Montesa 4rt I Paid $3500 for used and DL1000 side car rig I paid $6800 for used. Now I’m looking T ebikes that cost more or nearly as much as my current motorcycles. It’s a bit crazy. I decided I need to invest in my fitness more as I don’t I’ve near as much time to get to where I can ride my Montesa and I can ride an ebike from my front door a trail system within riding distance. Money and time better spent I hope.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
When l bought my first proper MTB back in 1993 (Kona Cinder Cone) it cost £625 and that was for a bike with rigid forks and V brakes.
l think that generally prices have actually come down, l can now buy a decent hardtail for that money, and £625 now is worth a lot less than £625 in 1993.

Back then that was a months wage for me.

Redbikejohn

Dec 25, 2019
High wycombe
Recently had an email ref some new emtb £8500.
New Yamaha 700 tenere can be had on ebay for £8595!
I'm sorry but please tell me again how emtb's are not over priced?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
WTF cares?

A Yam700 isn't much use if you're a lazy bastard wanting to ride red trail centre routes

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l've got a 390 Duke and that cost less than my Kona Ebike

For sure there is a lot more real estate for your money with the KTM.

But my friend has a Rolex watch which cost twice as much as my ebike.

Using that logic, he was ripped off big time....except that he wasn't.

You don't hear many people complaining about the fact that a Rolex costs as much as a car.

Those who want one, just buy one and put it on their wrist.

Similarly if you want an Ebike, pay the money and get out on the trails.

If you think it's a rip off, don't buy one.

Lexinoo

Sep 21, 2019
Cannock chase
I totally get the op.
These ebikes are stupidly expensive. A few of my mates are racing enduros and one has just bought a brand new Yamaha yz125 for just over 6k. Less than the cost of a mid range levo!

After tomorrow I'll have used my ebike for about 12 hours on trails this week, but my Yam mt09 is still under cover in the garage where it's been since October so I suppose the ebike is better value for money if you look at it that way?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles