Trek rail sizing and size mods

Hgian808

Nov 4, 2020
Hawaii
So like my previous post.. put money down for a rail 9.7. Trek sizing says I'm ML. I rode both a med and large and can't really tell the diff. The shop said the large looks good because of full leg extension?.. a large won't be available till maybe end of January according to the dealers site. A med just came in.. will I regret going with a med? Is it possible to maybe change to a longer dropper, or diff bars, crank? To give the feeling of a large frame on a med frame?.. sorry this is all new to me.. never had a mountain bike or any bike for that matter in 20 years.. should I just suck it up and wait for the large? Thanks

Yoak

Apr 5, 2020
Norway
Medium here too (175cm). I've ridden the Large quite a few times and it really feels like a lot more bike. Ebikes are already heavy, so sizing down makes for a more playful bike that's easier to handle. On an ebike, full leg stretch isn't even as necessary as on a normal bike. The engine makes up for that

Voluptua

Oct 4, 2020
United Kingdom
I'm not sure I understand the comments on leg extension. Surely you can adjust the saddle to be the same distance from the pedals on both frame sizes?

Anyway - I tested a medium - I'm taller at 6 foot, and found the medium a lovely ride. But onlookers commented that I looked a bit "congested" in terms of cockpit length/handlebar position, so it was decided I needed a large.

BrentD

Jun 25, 2020
New Zealand
I'm not sure I understand the comments on leg extension. Surely you can adjust the saddle to be the same distance from the pedals on both frame sizes?

Anyway - I tested a medium - I'm taller at 6 foot, and found the medium a lovely ride. But onlookers commented that I looked a bit "congested" in terms of cockpit length/handlebar position, so it was decided I needed a large.
Sounds like you made a good choice. I'm 5' 10.5" (180cm) and find the large Rail spot on.

Taff

Mar 7, 2019
UK
XL for me with a 34 ins inseam. L made me feel way to top heavy on the bike.
Standard post in the XL has 20mm left before max extension mark.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles