Rail (625Wh) Trek Rail Size Question

new_rider

Jul 25, 2022
Dillon, CO
Hello all,

I recently got my Trek Rail 7 in a size Medium. I am 5 ft 6 inches (167 cm) and my inseam is 29 inches (74cm). The Trek size guide recommends a size M.

I am new to MTB so I am not exactly sure what a good fit is supposed to feel like. I am able to straddle the bike flat footed but my balls have to go to one side (TMI I know but it may be an important detail?)

I do feel the reach is a bit far but I am not sure if this is normal. What problems should I look for to indicate the bike is too big?

Thanks in advance.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hello all,

I recently got my Trek Rail 7 in a size Medium. I am 5 ft 6 inches (167 cm) and my inseam is 29 inches (74cm). The Trek size guide recommends a size M.

I am new to MTB so I am not exactly sure what a good fit is supposed to feel like. I am able to straddle the bike flat footed but my balls have to go to one side (TMI I know but it may be an important detail?)

I do feel the reach is a bit far but I am not sure if this is normal. What problems should I look for to indicate the bike is too big?

Thanks in advance.
Oh boy…you might be one of those in-between sizes. Regardless of what size you finally choose, you are able to make slight changes to the bike geometry to suit your body shape and riding style. For example;

I could have went with a medium or large Rail. I’m 5’9” but my arm span is like an orangutan (6’3”) and my inseam is 32”. I’m just a messed-up-geometry-nightmare. I eventually purchased the Medium Rail 9.7 but needed to change the reach, seat distance and hight, stem length and hight. Other changes such as bar width and dropper length were part of my upgrades also. Tire size might be important to you also. (27.5” or 29”). I personally like the 29”.

Some might recommend that you size-down to a small frame but you could lose some features that are available on the medium size. It took me awhile to get it just right and a bit of experimentation but I think I’m happy now. Hopefully an experienced “sales person” can help you find the best fit. Take your time, get it right, it’s an expensive purchase.

new_rider

Jul 25, 2022
Dillon, CO
Thank you Stihldog.

I think the main issue I have is with the reach feeling a bit too far. I get some pain in the trapezius muscle after about an hour of riding. I have tried moving the seat to the furthest forward location. The pain could just be me getting used to mountain biking, or having a heavy helmet, or something else I can't pinpoint. I am not in the best shape to begin with and don't have a bit of a slouch slitting down so it could just be me getting accustomed to the sport.

I am worried of being stuck with a bike that is too big but also want to make sure I have enough room to grow into as I progress.

Some things I am considering:
- Getting a shorter stem. However, it looks like the stock 50mm stem is the shortest one that supports knock block. Any suggestion decreasing the stem length?
- Adding a stem spacer to bring the bars up a little bit. That should make the reach a tad bit more comfortable
- Try rotating the handlebars to see how that affects things
- Get new handlebars that is further swept back.

Any opinions?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Thank you Stihldog.

I think the main issue I have is with the reach feeling a bit too far. I get some pain in the trapezius muscle after about an hour of riding. I have tried moving the seat to the furthest forward location. The pain could just be me getting used to mountain biking, or having a heavy helmet, or something else I can't pinpoint. I am not in the best shape to begin with and don't have a bit of a slouch slitting down so it could just be me getting accustomed to the sport.

I am worried of being stuck with a bike that is too big but also want to make sure I have enough room to grow into as I progress.

Some things I am considering:
- Getting a shorter stem. However, it looks like the stock 50mm stem is the shortest one that supports knock block. Any suggestion decreasing the stem length?
- Adding a stem spacer to bring the bars up a little bit. That should make the reach a tad bit more comfortable
- Try rotating the handlebars to see how that affects things
- Get new handlebars that is further swept back.

Any opinions?
I had a 60mm stem. Then I got the 45mm (with knock block adapter) and a OneUp carbon bar. These bars are tapered for some flex and have a decent rise/sweep.
Your trapezoid may be a conditioning issue, but an upright position may help. My issue was numb hands 🙌. No problem after the upgrades. However there is always some kind of compromise (uphill, downhill and $$$).
There are some members on here who could explain this better than I can but maybe my experiences may help you. It sounds like you really need the LBS to focus on your unique geometry for a proper fit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles