Trek rail 9.7 has been nothing but broken chains/cassettes for duration of ownership

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
I average about 1700 miles per chain/cassette/chainring with WOT riding in rolling terrain. I have broken only one chain in the last four years (~10k miles) and that was self-inflicted from a botched shift under full load. The first thing I do when I buy a Rail is ditch the 12speed drive train and install XT 11 speed with a road cassette for rolling terrain and 11-46 for the mountains of NC, and VT.

Broken chains are almost always user error.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
No, you just lose drive, I always carry some quicklinks and a chain splitter, quick trailside repair and new chain when I get home.
I carry two quick links in case the derailleur gets trashed and you have to turn your ebike into a singlespeed to get home.

I would add that the cheap plastic e*thirteen chainguide mounting plate is usually a casualty. Wish they would make one out of aluminum, or at least sell a two-pack of the plates (probably costs pennies to manufacture).

jonmat

Feb 22, 2020
Sheffield
I carry two quick links in case the derailleur gets trashed and you have to turn your ebike into a singlespeed to get home.

I would add that the cheap plastic e*thirteen chainguide mounting plate is usually a casualty. Wish they would make one out of aluminum, or at least sell a two-pack of the plates (probably costs pennies to manufacture).
I haven't trashed the chain guard but usually remove it when I have had to do a quick chain repair.

UnreasonableMuppet

Jan 11, 2022
THE YOO ESS OF AYE
One issue I have had with chains is counterfeit chains. I had two new chains fail with only about 100 miles on each. I ordered them from eBay from a seller with good feedback, but they both failed quickly.

Make sure to get chains from a reputable source.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I had a Trek 9.7 and it was a fantastic bike. ZERO problems. In fact the Trek 9.7 has a stellar reputation from anything I've read. I think we all know what the problem is. BTW...I'd be willing to bet if you go to a different brand of bike and ride it the same way, you're not going to like that brand either.

Skoogydoo

May 28, 2023
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Shop said they contacted Trek and it was a known defect rek was aware of. I’ve had destination rides ruined on more than one occasion by this problem. I’m relieved they’re fixing it and extending the warranty but man oh man, for having so few miles and being ridden so conservatively I’m pissed I had to just live with it for this long.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Shop said they contacted Trek and it was a known defect rek was aware of. I’ve had destination rides ruined on more than one occasion by this problem. I’m relieved they’re fixing it and extending the warranty but man oh man, for having so few miles and being ridden so conservatively I’m pissed I had to just live with it for this long.
Just curious, what specifically was the defect (chain, cassette. Chainring. Motor, hub, frame, assembly …. If Trek was aware of the issue then this has likely happened before. Did Trek issue a recall? Or maybe a recall wasn’t necessary because only a few bikes were affected.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
The packaging did look legit, however there were some small differences that made me realize it was counterfeit.

Thanks for the video. After watching this I ran into my garage to check the two spare chains that I have. I purchased these about a month ago from one of our LBS. The price seemed to good to be true so I bought two. Regular CDN price for one is about $80. I bought two …$45 each. None of our LBS’s are sketchy …but they are a business.

With videos and knowledge like this I can be assured that my components are legitimate. One of my friends is an avid eBay/Amazon purchaser for bike components. I’m not! I prefer to support our LBS(s).

Anyways, the quick links were in separate packages. I’d probably have to train my eye to recognize a fake chain though. IMG_6445.jpeg
I’ve never snapped a chain on my eMTB …but I’m pretty sure I could if I wanted too.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
Just curious, what specifically was the defect (chain, cassette. Chainring. Motor, hub, frame, assembly …. If Trek was aware of the issue then this has likely happened before. Did Trek issue a recall? Or maybe a recall wasn’t necessary because only a few bikes were affected.
I would guess it is the service advisory from last year with E*13 steel chainrings and shimano drive trains. The remedy is the installation of a 1mm spacer behind the chainring to modify the chainline. Still sounds like user error if you snap more than one chain. I have been running a spacer behind the chainring for a couple years because I run a 36t chainring on my Rail 7 and 9.8.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I would guess it is the service advisory from last year with E*13 steel chainrings and shimano drive trains. The remedy is the installation of a 1mm spacer behind the chainring to modify the chainline. Still sounds like user error if you snap more than one chain. I have been running a spacer behind the chainring for a couple years because I run a 36t chainring on my Rail 7 and 9.8.
There’s so many things that can go wrong or right when you start changing components on a drivetrain. Especially when you start using Hacks or Frankenstein methods. A simple little spacer that is overlooked or incorrectly installed can cause nightmares (for me anyways). Manufacturer defect, poor assembly, wrong part, etc.

Sometimes it’s been trail and error for me or learning from the mistakes and experiences of others. But I like to tinker and I’ve gathered a few tools along the way. For the most part I’m in the Trek eMTB ecosystem but that somewhat carries over to other manufacturers.

I’m a hammer/nail head expert only…but my thumb has gotten in the way a few times 😁.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles