Trek rail 7 locking nut issue

Simple85

Jan 1, 2022
Devon
hey all I have had problems with the locking nut coming lose Iv gone throw 2 rings all ready I up graded to the hope 34t chain wheel and the lock ring does not tighten all the way up on the thread and works it way off while ridding any one else got the hope front sprocket on ??

slomtbr

Subscriber
May 14, 2021
US
I also did this - it'll never come loose again.

Simple85

Jan 1, 2022
Devon
I also did this - it'll never come loose again.
Hi thanks for that I’m waiting on new parts but I found there is a alloy sleeve just in on the spine and looks like the hope Chainwheel had this same sleeve built on to it so hope that’s why the thread was not fully tight I’m going to removed the sleeve on the spine so the chain wheel goes in more flush

DeRailled7

Oct 27, 2021
Calgary, Canada
Hi and Happy New Year!
my friend and i had the same problem. First and easiest thing to try is to simply apply a good coat of treadlock when you install your chainring back on. I have ridden over 1300km since i did that fix and has had no issues yet.
cheers

SydB

Jul 6, 2020
Uk
Hi
I had the same problem when I fitted a hope ring, remove the spacer and it will allow the nut to fit fully on the threads. As you said the spacer appears to be built into the hope ring.

Simple85

Jan 1, 2022
Devon
Hi
I had the same problem when I fitted a hope ring, remove the spacer and it will allow the nut to fit fully on the threads. As you said the spacer appears to be built into the hope ring.
Yes ur right shame I didn’t know bout this form before Iv gone throw to lock nuts and the 2nd time it rip off the chain pulled on the front chain wheel and bent it so bout 100 pound down aha oh well you live a learn hopefully if any one else’s see this that it’s happing to there see why

Simple85

Jan 1, 2022
Devon
Hi and Happy New Year!
my friend and i had the same problem. First and easiest thing to try is to simply apply a good coat of treadlock when you install your chainring back on. I have ridden over 1300km since i did that fix and has had no issues yet.
cheers
Hi mate yes this is definitely what I will be doing from now on thanks for info

Ebike mad

Oct 8, 2022
Australia
Hi all I changed my chain ring to a 38 T on my rail 7 and up graded the chain the rubber o ring had split but not really needed , you must use lock tight on the spider nut
Never had any problem since, I always check
Before I ride

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Given the small number of threads on the lock ring I suspect it is single use only. A new lock ring is only £7 .....I would fit a new one rather than rely on loctite.
Bosch part no 1270014085 Lock ring for BDU 4XX

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles