Rail (625Wh) Trek Rail 7 Gen 2...upgrade Purion to Kiox300?

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
After decades of analog mountain biking, I finally hit the age/knee combination point where an E-mountain bike made sense. I bought a Trek Rail 7 Gen 2 recently. Love the bike. It handles great for my needs and has exceeded my expectations.

It came with the Purion computer. I'm looking to upgrade to a Kiox300, but not sure if it's possible to do so on a Rail 7 Gen 2 with Bosch Performance CX motor.

Any insights as to the feasibility of that swap?

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m sure it’s possible to upgrade to the Kiox …but I’m not 💯% sure on your model.

The Kiox upgrade was the first thing I did when I received my 2020 Rail. The display unit (computer) was magnetically mounted to the stem. I eventually moved it to the upper tube (different mounting) and tethered it to some cabling.

I also fixed the controller to a lower position on the bar to protect it…when I go OTB. The new Gen Kiox position seems a little better. You’ll like the upgrade …but my main Kiox page is the clock. (Tic Toc). ⏱️

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
ISTR that when I asked about upgrading the Purion on my 2022 Rail 5 (Gen 2) I was told that I could upgrade to Kiox but not to Kiox 300 which required a Bosch motor with firmware to support Kiox 300 (Bosch Gen 3 motor I think). Could be wrong of course.

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
Now that you guys mention it, is very likely is the Kiox, not the Kiox 300. I'll clear it up with the dealer when I talk to him on Tuesday. Thanks for the replies.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Now that you guys mention it, is very likely is the Kiox, not the Kiox 300. I'll clear it up with the dealer when I talk to him on Tuesday. Thanks for the replies.
This is the Kiox I’ve had for almost 4 years. It was mounted to the stem but I changed that to the top tube after it got knocked off a few times. I also use a short tether. IMG_6351.jpeg
IMG_6352.jpeg
I liked that it can be knocked off , but now I tether it so it just falls next to the frame.

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
This was a really productive post, thank you very much. I get it now...the Kiox 300 requires motor firmware that my Gen 2 Rail 7 Bosch motor doesn't have..."Smart Sytem", apparently requiring the Rail 7 Gen 3. When I asked about upgrade, the dealer pulled out the Kiox Upgrade kit. Still is a worthwhile upgrade to me.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I have the. Kiox Retrofit kit, and also have a "tether" so that in the event of a crash the display hangs off the stem.

Zed.

Apr 26, 2023
Deepest Bandit country (Wales)
I've just converted my gen2 Rail (5 if that matters?) from purion to kiox (not the 300).

MtdoGk2.jpg

9nLdfz7.png

millage is remembered in the motor so transfers over :cool:

BQ1xGKh.jpg

also, the power levels are highlighted in different colours (eco in green & tour in blue as example)

as to fitting, I must have had the one bike that put up a fight as every step was 'fun' with the motor and battery-mount needing removal - much swearing involved:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

the controller is held securely with magnets onto its dock BUT can be knocked off if you catch it in the right way so I'm looking at mountng a safety-wire of some description and buying Trek's toptube mount to minimise risk (or am I worrying too much?)

Rich.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I've just converted my gen2 Rail (5 if that matters?) from purion to kiox (not the 300).

MtdoGk2.jpg

9nLdfz7.png

millage is remembered in the motor so transfers over :cool:

BQ1xGKh.jpg

also, the power levels are highlighted in different colours (eco in green & tour in blue as example)

as to fitting, I must have had the one bike that put up a fight as every step was 'fun' with the motor and battery-mount needing removal - much swearing involved:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

the controller is held securely with magnets onto its dock BUT can be knocked off if you catch it in the right way so I'm looking at mountng a safety-wire of some description and buying Trek's toptube mount to minimise risk (or am I worrying too much?)

Rich.
I've crashed and the Kiox display came off, so I threaded some thin cord though the slot at the bottom of the display and tied the cord to the stem. In your picture the obvious place to secure a cord is probably to the handlebars.

20230529_170139~2.jpg

Last edited:

Mattman

Feb 4, 2023
Philadelphia
I have the. Kiox Retrofit kit, and also have a "tether" so that in the event of a crash the display hangs off the stem.

What are the benefits of the Kiox upgrade on a Gen 2?

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
I’m sure it’s possible to upgrade to the Kiox …but I’m not 💯% sure on your model.

The Kiox upgrade was the first thing I did when I received my 2020 Rail. The display unit (computer) was magnetically mounted to the stem. I eventually moved it to the upper tube (different mounting) and tethered it to some cabling.

I also fixed the controller to a lower position on the bar to protect it…when I go OTB. The new Gen Kiox position seems a little better. You’ll like the upgrade …but my main Kiox page is the clock. (Tic Toc). ⏱️
So...I took the bike in this morning to get that computer switched out. They told me that they had a Nyon upgrade kit that they would sell me at the same price as the Kiox kit, so I went that route. It's very cool, excellent navigation interface (unlike any Garmin I've ever owned) and impressive integration with my Apple Watch (Ultra) and iPhone. Updates over wifi using my iPhone as a hot spot. This device addresses everything I hated about the Edge.
IMG_1143.jpeg

Serotta98

Apr 10, 2023
New Zealand
After decades of analog mountain biking, I finally hit the age/knee combination point where an E-mountain bike made sense. I bought a Trek Rail 7 Gen 2 recently. Love the bike. It handles great for my needs and has exceeded my expectations.

It came with the Purion computer. I'm looking to upgrade to a Kiox300, but not sure if it's possible to do so on a Rail 7 Gen 2 with Bosch Performance CX motor.

Any insights as to the feasibility of that swap?
Hey there I had same issues so went straight to nyon but ugly but wow great piece of kit same size as a Garmin 830 but ooh so much more and added features as bike lock and custom ride modes ,something to think about…

McBike

May 25, 2023
Cuyuna
Hey there I had same issues so went straight to nyon but ugly but wow great piece of kit same size as a Garmin 830 but ooh so much more and added features as bike lock and custom ride modes ,something to think about…
It's a very capable unit for sure. Just got done setting up the screens to my liking today, installed the state mountain bike trail maps (115 kilometers of trails that start about 8 kilometers from my home). Now, if I could just figure out how to get the thing to get heart rate data from my Apple Watch.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles