Levo Gen 3 Transmission T-Type chain ring, which one?

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
Incoming wall of text... :/

@DelPrete... that's great info, thanks so much for the reply!

It looks like you're using the sram XO crank, which as Rich-H says above means unless you shimmed it, your crank is now offset. I don't know where there is room for more shims to recenter the crank, but it sounds like Rich-H is saying it can be done, you just end up with a wider Q-factor. I'd be interested to know just how much wider the Q-factor becomes.

As for my personal preference if I couldn't get the chainline at an ideal 55mm, I think I would rather error on the side of too wide at the crank since I'm almost never in the bottom 7 or so gears. The biggest ring I can fit on mine with the stock spider is a 36t, and I'm dying to get a 38t to eek out a few more mph and actually use more than 5 gears.

Here are all the options (best I can tell)

1. - stock 52mm chainline - the downside being potential of not ideal shifting at the highest gears. For me this is where I need the best shifting. This also doesn't help me fit a bigger ring gear.

2. - 58mm chainline - keep the stock crank and spider and install the ring gear on the outside of the spider. I've seen someone else do this and I'm not sure how I feel about it since it's not machined flat where the bolts go. If I were to do this I would mill flat spots where the mounting bolts are. By my measurements it would leave about 3mm of thickness on the spider where it mounts, and therefore (factoring in the 3mm thick gear) the new chainline would be at 58mm. If you don't mill flat spots, then you'd be probably closer to 59 or 60mm. I've looked and couldn't find such a thing as a spider with more offset that would fit the brose motor.

3. - 57mm chainline + increased q-factor - As stated above, if you install SRAM's crank (or any other direct mount crank for that matter) you'll end up with a 57mm chain line and an offset crank. I believe the offset can be shimmed to recenter it, but that means a wider q-factor. How much wider I don't know exactly.

4. - shim the cassette out - I don't know if this is even possible, but if so, you could potentially put a shim between the cassette and the hub to get a mm back ( I wouldn't imagine more than that). Shimming the cassette out a mm would mean that the cassette's chainline would now be a 56mm center and now closer to centered with option 2 or 3 above.

5. - shim the direct mount ring gear - I also don't know if this is possible, but if so, you could potentially shim the direct mount ring gear inward by putting shims between the new direct mount crank and the ring gear. If you could get any amount of shims in there it would get you closer to optimal.

6. - ring gear with an offset - I looked around to see if I could find any ring gears with an offset that would help out. I couldn't find a +3 offset 104BCD to fit the stock spider, nor a -2 offset direct mount ring to fit the direct mount option.

7. - it seems possible that specialized has a new spider on the 2024 levo since there are models with transmission stock. Maybe this offers a bolt on solution, I just can't get an answer on that for sure.

Maybe @Rich-H could comment, but if you could do options 3, 4, and 5 above, it would all be perfectly aligned, but you'd just end up with a wider q-factor.

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Incoming wall of text... :/

@DelPrete... that's great info, thanks so much for the reply!

It looks like you're using the sram XO crank, which as Rich-H says above means unless you shimmed it, your crank is now offset. I don't know where there is room for more shims to recenter the crank, but it sounds like Rich-H is saying it can be done, you just end up with a wider Q-factor. I'd be interested to know just how much wider the Q-factor becomes.

As for my personal preference if I couldn't get the chainline at an ideal 55mm, I think I would rather error on the side of too wide at the crank since I'm almost never in the bottom 7 or so gears. The biggest ring I can fit on mine with the stock spider is a 36t, and I'm dying to get a 38t to eek out a few more mph and actually use more than 5 gears.

Here are all the options (best I can tell)

1. - stock 52mm chainline - the downside being potential of not ideal shifting at the highest gears. For me this is where I need the best shifting. This also doesn't help me fit a bigger ring gear.

2. - 58mm chainline - keep the stock crank and spider and install the ring gear on the outside of the spider. I've seen someone else do this and I'm not sure how I feel about it since it's not machined flat where the bolts go. If I were to do this I would mill flat spots where the mounting bolts are. By my measurements it would leave about 3mm of thickness on the spider where it mounts, and therefore (factoring in the 3mm thick gear) the new chainline would be at 58mm. If you don't mill flat spots, then you'd be probably closer to 59 or 60mm. I've looked and couldn't find such a thing as a spider with more offset that would fit the brose motor.

3. - 57mm chainline + increased q-factor - As stated above, if you install SRAM's crank (or any other direct mount crank for that matter) you'll end up with a 57mm chain line and an offset crank. I believe the offset can be shimmed to recenter it, but that means a wider q-factor. How much wider I don't know exactly.

4. - shim the cassette out - I don't know if this is even possible, but if so, you could potentially put a shim between the cassette and the hub to get a mm back ( I wouldn't imagine more than that). Shimming the cassette out a mm would mean that the cassette's chainline would now be a 56mm center and now closer to centered with option 2 or 3 above.

5. - shim the direct mount ring gear - I also don't know if this is possible, but if so, you could potentially shim the direct mount ring gear inward by putting shims between the new direct mount crank and the ring gear. If you could get any amount of shims in there it would get you closer to optimal.

6. - ring gear with an offset - I looked around to see if I could find any ring gears with an offset that would help out. I couldn't find a +3 offset 104BCD to fit the stock spider, nor a -2 offset direct mount ring to fit the direct mount option.

7. - it seems possible that specialized has a new spider on the 2024 levo since there are models with transmission stock. Maybe this offers a bolt on solution, I just can't get an answer on that for sure.

Maybe @Rich-H could comment, but if you could do options 3, 4, and 5 above, it would all be perfectly aligned, but you'd just end up with a wider q-factor.
To answer points 3 and 7.

#7 - As far as I'm aware, the Transmission equipped Levo's use the existing spider giving a 52mm chainline. SRAM have stated that Transmission is fully compatible with a 52mm chainline.

#3 - Use your existing cranks in conjunction with the DM chainring and you won't have any issues with the Q-Factor. You could then consider milling 2mm off the DM chainring to get your desired 55mm chainline and have the ability to run a 38T chainring.

1692993707619.png

DelPrete

May 11, 2023
Brazil
To answer points 3 and 7.

#7 - As far as I'm aware, the Transmission equipped Levo's use the existing spider giving a 52mm chainline. SRAM have stated that Transmission is fully compatible with a 52mm chainline.

#3 - Use your existing cranks in conjunction with the DM chainring and you won't have any issues with the Q-Factor. You could then consider milling 2mm off the DM chainring to get your desired 55mm chainline and have the ability to run a 38T chainring.

I think milling 2mm of the DM is a great choice, it can also be reversed with washers.........
If after changing my set of wheels there is a small noise in any of the gears, I will mill.......

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
I didn't realize I could change to a direct mount and keep the stock crank. Is there something other than the ring gear needed to make this happen or is it just remove the spider and put the ring gear where the spider was? If that's the case, then mill 2mm off of what? The ring gear is probably only 3mm thick right?

edit: oh, and I just need to get a brose specific direct mount ring gear right?

link to sram's part: XX Eagle Transmission Direct Mount E-MTB Chainring for Brose - CR-XX-BR-D1 - SRAM

edit again: Just noticed that sram doesn't make it in a 38t. Only 34 and 36. LOL I found ethirteen makes one for brose in a 38t, but not compatible currently with T-Type. Hope also makes one for brose, but not in a 38t. I guess I'll grab a 36t for now and then I can play with it while I wait for a 38t from someone.

Last edited:

dangeruss

Nov 8, 2022
St. Petersburg FL
I think that the biggest unfavorable points when using the BROSE direct chainring are having to adjust the chainguard to the limit or dont use anymore, and it seems that the exact measurement on the Levo chain offset (may be due to the position of the motor) is 53mm and not 52, with DM it exceeds 55, I believe something between 56 and 57, with that the micro-adjustment of the rear derailleur on my bike is in the limit of 14 clicks.
I think you can use a 1 or 2mm spacer behind the cassette, or really remove 1 or 2mm on the chainring spider....for now I'm doing the tests, with 56/57mm the gears changes are faster and precise, only on the cog 38 I'm having a little bit of noise, but overall very good result.

View attachment 123294
So just reading through everything here, and having just ordered the gx t type, and the 36t direct mount chainring for my 2023 Levo, using the stock praxis cranks.

Can I just mount the chainring and clean it up w/the micro adjustments, or is milling .2-3mm off needed to ensure clean shifts and longevity??

Thanks guys, and I reached out to sram directly but it’s been a few days and I haven’t heard from them yet
✊💪👌

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
So just reading through everything here, and having just ordered the gx t type, and the 36t direct mount chainring for my 2023 Levo, using the stock praxis cranks.

Can I just mount the chainring and clean it up w/the micro adjustments, or is milling .2-3mm off needed to ensure clean shifts and longevity??

Thanks guys, and I reached out to sram directly but it’s been a few days and I haven’t heard from them yet
✊💪👌
SRAM and Specialized will just tell you to use the 104BCD chainring. The DM chainring will work but gives you a 57mm chainline. I've personally used both the 104BCD and an unmodified DM chainring, I settled on using the 104BCD chainring as it worked just a little bit better.

dangeruss

Nov 8, 2022
St. Petersburg FL
SRAM and Specialized will just tell you to use the 104BCD chainring. The DM chainring will work but gives you a 57mm chainline. I've personally used both the 104BCD and an unmodified DM chainring, I settled on using the 104BCD chainring as it worked just a little bit better.
Thanks for the heads up.
Just a cleaner shift overall?
Think the 57mm chain line will kill drivetrain longevity?
I’d just run the spider if my spider wasn’t across the country in storage 🤦🏻‍♂️
Maybe I can find someone to shave some off of it.

Thumper33

Sep 29, 2022
Denver, CO
I installed the dm chainring and im not sure I have any complaints. I really want a 38t but can't find one for broze t type. When I do I might take a mm off, but I don't think it's necessary.

My logic was that 57 is closer to 55 than 52 is.

dangeruss

Nov 8, 2022
St. Petersburg FL
I installed the dm chainring and im not sure I have any complaints. I really want a 38t but can't find one for broze t type. When I do I might take a mm off, but I don't think it's necessary.

Bahahaha,
Makes me feel better, maybe I’ll give it a go, how many miles you have on it thus far?

Deadpool2e

Nov 9, 2023
Surrey
Chain tension is higher at the bottom with the derailleur but the top could alway still jump off. However if you have done 2500k on it the new teeth profile must do the job 😀

P.s thanks for showing in your post how to do it.

brunsje

Nov 20, 2022
Jacksonville Beach, FL
Praxis offers MTN E-RING 104BCD in 36T.
Looked Praxis up on-line. Very promising !!
They offer up to a 36T MTN E-Ring that is compatible with T-Type Flat-Top Chains.

If I installed this chain ring would my chainline be 52mm? Rich H has said both 52 and 55mm work with Transmission.

Is this OK for GX Transmission application?

If so, would I buy the Cassette and Chain separately? I'd reuse the stock spider and crank arms.

This is so confusing, I need your help.

Is this the best option?

Thanks in Advance !!

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Default chainline on Gen3 Levo is 52mm, with installing Praxis MTN E-RING 104BCD 36T on original spider the chainline stays the same so Transmission should work.

JS-Levo

Mar 22, 2024
Suffolk
Sorry if this is a dumb question. But has anyone fitted a ethirteen direct mount chainring to their gen 3 levo?

I’m converting my gen 3 comp alloy from the original SRAM groupset, to the 11 speed linkglide xt.

I wasn’t sure if the original sram chainring would work, so bought the ethirteen direct mount chainring (for the brose motor)

I have gone to fit it and the chainline is way off from the original, maybe 3/4mm further out. Will this effect how the chain runs / how well the gears will change?

On the chainring, it says to suit 53mm boost….. From what I understand, the hub is boost and the stock chainline is 52mm. But this is more thank 1mm out

IMG_6218.jpeg

Rich-H

Apr 3, 2023
Hampshire
Sorry if this is a dumb question. But has anyone fitted a ethirteen direct mount chainring to their gen 3 levo?

I’m converting my gen 3 comp alloy from the original SRAM groupset, to the 11 speed linkglide xt.

I wasn’t sure if the original sram chainring would work, so bought the ethirteen direct mount chainring (for the brose motor)

I have gone to fit it and the chainline is way off from the original, maybe 3/4mm further out. Will this effect how the chain runs / how well the gears will change?

On the chainring, it says to suit 53mm boost….. From what I understand, the hub is boost and the stock chainline is 52mm. But this is more thank 1mm out

View attachment 137457
The motor in the Gen 3 Levo is offset so you will either need a DM chainring that is designed to work with the LEVO or use a 104BCD chainring.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Hope has a new direct mount chainring for the Levo that’s for T-type chains, it keeps the 52mm chainline. I’ve got one on order, should be here later this week.

JS-Levo

Mar 22, 2024
Suffolk
The motor in the Gen 3 Levo is offset so you will either need a DM chainring that is designed to work with the LEVO or use a 104BCD chainring.

Thank you. I think I’m on the right path now 👍🏻 I assumed that because the chainring was made for the Brose system, that it would work with the Levo. But didn’t think of the offset. I may go along the same route as others and try getting the rear face of the chainring milled to suit. At least then I’m not wasting money on the DM one I have.

JS-Levo

Mar 22, 2024
Suffolk
Hope has a new direct mount chainring for the Levo that’s for T-type chains, it keeps the 52mm chainline. I’ve got one on order, should be here later this week.

I had also seen the Hope chainring, but I managed to pick up and ethirteen one on the cheap…. (That’s backfired 😂)

If you could let me know if it fits ok, that would be great 👍🏻 Hopefully it’s the right fitment and not Brose fitment, without the offset, like the one I’ve got 👍🏻

RRIDER

Jan 2, 2024
MD
For those who have installed SRAM GX-Transmission on their Gen 3 turbo Levo's, were you able to install the 104BCD chain ring without removing your cranks or the spider? Thanks!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles