Trance E+ 3, New Forks - Bomber Z1 Air 170mm

EnduroDad2k

Aug 19, 2021
Oakland, CA US
I've been putting up with the stock Rockshox RL35 Gold forks for the better part of a year and it was finally time for a change. I also wanted to increase travel from 150 to 160 for better chunky downhill performance.

Originally I set out to find a Lyrik or Zeb, but I came across a really good deal on a virtually new Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Air 170 for $350, which is essentially an older Fox 36 design.

I was a bit hesitant about the leap from 150 to 170, especially since the rear is still stock at 140, but after reading about some other's experience I thought I'd give it a try. Also I'll probably convert to coil at some point and I can always shrink it down then.

The 2021 Trance X has very long chainstays and climbs like a mountain goat, so I figured I have some room to experiment raising the front end. The results are fantastic! It still climbs like a beast, the front end is noticeably lighter but I can still conquer my steepest climbs without lofting the front. The new steerer was slightly shorter so I dropped an adjustment spacer on the steerer, and with my 30° riser bars it's still a bit taller than before.

The stock RL35 forks are harsh in comparison to the Z1. On the RL35 I had to run a bit more pressure than normal since I had to keep it from bottoming out on the chunky downhills, which made feel harsh in the lower stroke. Since I'm using more of the stroke on the Z1 I can drop the pressure a bit and enjoy a softer lower stroke.

Also there were a couple things I just couldn't get right with the RL35: The rebound adjuster was useless, the difference between full open/closed was almost unnoticeable. Also it had a distinct "clunk" when fully extended, it always felt like my headset was loose. I wonder if there even was was a top-out bumper or spring in there.

But now the bike is buttery smooth, and it almost feels like I have bottomless travel. Not quite as buttery as my son's Lyrik, but close. And the added stiffness of the Fox 36 chassis is very welcome. You don't really feel how flexy the RL35 is until you put on a stiffer fork.

Next I'm going to service the lowers and put in some low-friction SKF seals just for good measure. Eventually I'll convert to a coil spring since I'm not terribly concerned with weight on this pig.

If you're still running the stock RL35 I'd recommend an upgrade to a mid-level fork like the Lyrik, Zeb, Fox 36 or similar. It's well worth it!

IMG_6275.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles