Trail Centre: Dalby Forest, North Yorkshire, UK

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Starting a new thread for Dalby Forest for discussions regarding the trails, sections, features, off piste, ride videos, meet ups etc

As per the sticky in the ‘Travel’ section, hopefully we can all add new threads for trail centres and bike parks across the globe and build up a wealth of useful information

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Evening all

@The EMF expressed an interest in being shown around Dalby so thinking about arranging a meet up in the near future before the clocks change and winter sets in

Could meet at 10am ish at Dixon’s Hollow car park (the visitors centre gets way too busy) and ride the red with a few of the fun bits of black thrown in. Nothing too techie or difficult, expect around 24 miles of riding with approx 2000 ft of elevation

Open to anyone that wants to join us. We’ll need to settle on a date though

Currently available on the following:

Saturday 18th September
Sunday 19th September
Saturday 2nd October
Sunday 3rd October
Saturday 16th October
Sunday 17th October

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
This is Dixon’s Hollow / Adderstone Field car park

43411D99-AAB7-406D-9798-7C5466D68576.jpeg

£9 to park at Dalby unfortunately. There’s a barrier at the entrance with automatic number plate recognition. Pay on your way out at the machine at the gates. If you think the parking is expensive, don’t even think about buying a coffee or lunch ?

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I'll have a chat with Wayne & Jaco and see if we can come up with a date ..but with hols & my lad leaving home for Uni digs its more likely to be in October ( for me at least ) ..

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I'll have a chat with Wayne & Jaco and see if we can come up with a date ..but with hols & my lad leaving home for Uni digs its more likely to be in October ( for me at least ) ..

j3ayy’s already said October so that’s fine, choose a date and we’ll get it sorted ??

smokin joe's

Jun 21, 2021
north yorks
hi , Dalby is about 3-4 miles from me can show anyone where to park for free I can see it from my bedroom window .been riding in there for 30 years + and have raced enduro motorbikes tbh iam bored of it but it's local best to go during the week not too many in there,I am retired so anytime is ok for me

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
hi , Dalby is about 3-4 miles from me can show anyone where to park for free I can see it from my bedroom window .been riding in there for 30 years + and have raced enduro motorbikes tbh iam bored of it but it's local best to go during the week not too many in there,I am retired so anytime is ok for me
Thanks for posting this ..it might just be the ammunition needed to tempt my mate Jaco ..doesnt particularly like travelling too far to ride..is generous to a fault when it comes to getting a round of drinks in ..but hates parking charges .
Tell him there is somewhere with free parking and he is like a kid at Christmas ..( usually )..cheers ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

Excellent. I know the free places to park too obviously but when trying to arrange a meet up for people coming from all directions that don’t know the place then it’s far easier to meet inside the forest gates. Also agree that it’d be much quieter during the week , as would all trail centres, but again weekends are easier to arrange meet ups for people that are still working 9-5 Monday to Friday!

I did consider proposing to meet at Bickley Gate and starting the red from there but then it’d be a right faff sending people that don’t know the area driving through Troutsdale, just for the sake of saving £9 per car

smokin joe's

Jun 21, 2021
north yorks
The best place to set of from is Troutdale burial mounds just above Snainton village about 2 miles from there turn left at the Peacock pub it's on the land to sea route just a quick ride west to Dalby past givendale head farm a lot of riders park there but that too gets busy

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
We could meet at Bickley Gate car park which is on the east side of Dalby. It’ll add around half an hour on to your journey time if coming from the North East. It’s a nice scenic route to Bickley Gate but very narrow single track roads, so watch your wheels in the ruts! There’s no facilities at this car park, and it’s only large enough for around 10-15 cars, so no guarantee of a place if it’s already busy on a Saturday morning

It also means starting on the easiest sections of the route, which means you’d be tackling the black sections when your legs are a bit tired, whereas I was going to start you on the blacks from the start (the blacks aren’t too difficult though, just a couple of nice features)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Appreciate weekends are best for most 9-5 folk, but being one of them, I have a bigger problem balancing family pressures at weekends ?.
And weekdays are much quieter.
Once you have a date, whatever it is, I will do my best to make it in.

Agree, best for folk to just bite the bullet on the forest access fee to keep logistics simple.
And it does help keep the trails in good "all-weather" condition.

Oh, and if I can't sort my rear brake issue out on the Whyte, I might have to try and keep up on my regular hardtail.
Would that be okay? it should give everyone a laugh at least. ???

Saturday October 2nd is looking like the favourable date, just trying to agree where to park ?

Yes join us on your leg powered hardtail Kilham, you’ll probably show us all up and fly around the route!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
I'm more than happy to park in the main car park ..its a quid less than Hamsters was the last time I was there ..and if it adds 30mins each way( at the other car park ) we would probably end up paying more in fuel ..than we would save on the fee
Dark horse that Kilham ..if he starts a betting book to see who gets around quickest Im outta here ..?

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
AH -HA...See he has already made it competitive ..talking about times ..mark my words in his next post he will say something like " If you want to make it interesting"..
Also if you didnt notice ..he was trying to talk us up by calling us competent ..next thing you know yer wallet is £50.00 lighter ..
Try your best to resist..?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I am usually in there every other week, so get my money's worth out of a season pass (£50)

At £9 a car, it really isn't worth folk dicking about up the narrow lanes trying to park for free.
Especially if already coming a distance.
Meet in either the main visitor car park, or up at Dixon's Hollow

1h 43m is my quickest full red e-lap. (Turbo mode up the fire road climbs)
It shouldn't be too difficult to beat.
1h 50m is a comfortable entertaining e-pace.
I can get my 60 year old asthmatic fat lump round 20 - 25 minutes slower on the push bike.
But that is as the usual Billy-no-mates, not stopping for banter after every section.
You guys will be yacking for Britain after every section, so I reckon I should be able to catch up.

Oh, and there are a couple of rock drops I no longer ride after running out of ability, but you competent guys, fill yer boots.

I have the season pass too so don’t have to worry about the £9 parking but sssshhh don’t tell the others!

1 hr 43 is quick, but must admit I only take it speedy on the trail and then crawl up the fire roads in lazy cruisey mode. Strava KOM & segment chasing isn’t my thing. I’m just amazed that an eeb will get you round in less than two hours whereas it used to take me 3 hours + on leg power alone

Saturday 2nd October is your chance to grab that sub two hour trophy on a leg powered hardtail. We’ll be timing you ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I am usually in there every other week, so get my money's worth out of a season pass (£50)

At £9 a car, it really isn't worth folk dicking about up the narrow lanes trying to park for free.
Especially if already coming a distance.
Meet in either the main visitor car park, or up at Dixon's Hollow

1h 43m is my quickest full red e-lap. (Turbo mode up the fire road climbs)
It shouldn't be too difficult to beat.
1h 50m is a comfortable entertaining e-pace.
I can get my 60 year old asthmatic fat lump round 20 - 25 minutes slower on the push bike.
But that is as the usual Billy-no-mates, not stopping for banter after every section.
You guys will be yacking for Britain after every section, so I reckon I should be able to catch up.

Oh, and there are a couple of rock drops I no longer ride after running out of ability, but you competent guys, fill yer boots.

Oh and you’ll easily catch up Kilham. Judging by Saturday at Kielder most of these North Easterners spend more time lying on the floor after a spill than riding the bikes ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles