Toughest wheelset- Weight NOT considered!

Dozer

Oct 13, 2022
Norway
What wheelset would you consider the absolute toughest with no consideration given to weight?
Both factory and custom wheels are options.

Jukka4130

Jun 27, 2021
Finland
When it comes to rims, the Beast DH30 is hard to beat. A more affordable option would be WTB HTZ i30 or possibly even HTZ i35.

For hubs, the Classic model from Onyx Racing Products features a sprag clutch mechanism that has virtually no parts that are subjected to wear. As a plus, the mechanism provides instant engagement and silent operation.

Pretty much an ultimate wheelset right here. Onyx Classic Hubs for an E-MTB – Onyxhubseurope.com goes electric! - Onyx Hubs Europe

Dozer

Oct 13, 2022
Norway
Thank you all for the input.
Some quick googling show a pretty large span in cost for a wheelset.
(Price listed is just the first I found. It's probably better deals out there)
WTB HTZ I30 = $770
SPANK 359 VIBROCORE = $830
DT Swiss FR 541 -DT Swiss 350- Sapim Force $930
Light Bicycle Recon Pro EN932- DT Swiss 350 $1,035
NOBL TR38 - I9 1/1 $1,240
We Are One Strife - I9 1/1 $1,475
Reserve E 30|HD 31|DH $1,799
Beast Components DH30 -DT Swiss 350 $1,900
ENVE M9 $2500++

I'm ok with spending some money on this, but I don't like the idea of spending more than I need.
I don't care about the sound from the hubs, and I'm not obsessed with saving weight.
My main concern is reliability and that the wheelset can handle my weight (6'4" 300+lbs) and ab-use in rough terrain.

How does the width of the rim affect the strength of the wheel? Is a wider wheel stronger?

Of the options mentioned above (still open to suggestions) what would you say is the toughest wheelset - for a heavy rider?

Jukka4130

Jun 27, 2021
Finland
How does the width of the rim affect the strength of the wheel? Is a wider wheel stronger?

Of the options mentioned above (still open to suggestions) what would you say is the toughest wheelset - for a heavy rider?
Not to a meaningful extent once you're in the 30mm(ish) territory. 30-35mm inner width fit's the bill in +90% of the cases.

Dozer

Oct 13, 2022
Norway
Mavik E Deemax s30 very good and won’t brake the bank
I was looking at the E Deemax and thought it would be a really good alternative. With ASTM CATEGORY 5 and weight rating at 180KG (!!!) it really got my attention.
Then I found a couple of reviews of the Mondraker Level R where they have the NON-S version and it didn't really hold up that well. (The Loam Wolf)
The E Deemax S30 is probably a better wheel than the NON-S version, but it would be good to have some input from someone (heavy) with experience with the Deemax.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
Not to a meaningful extent once you're in the 30mm(ish) territory. 30-35mm inner width fit's the bill in +90% of the cases.
A smart DT Swiss employee assured
me that wider rims are noticeably stronger and from my experience this seems to hold true.

RoJo

Apr 24, 2019
Surrey
I was looking at the E Deemax and thought it would be a really good alternative. With ASTM CATEGORY 5 and weight rating at 180KG (!!!) it really got my attention.
Then I found a couple of reviews of the Mondraker Level R where they have the NON-S version and it didn't really hold up that well. (The Loam Wolf)
The E Deemax S30 is probably a better wheel than the NON-S version, but it would be good to have some input from someone (heavy) with experience with the Deemax.
What I love about the E Deemax is firstly the price and quoted strength, but secondly no rim tape required at all because the spokes attach from the inside. This makes it the easiest tubeless setup I have ever worked with.

Rubinstein

Subscriber
Apr 7, 2022
kent
What I love about the E Deemax is firstly the price and quoted strength, but secondly no rim tape required at all because the spokes attach from the inside. This makes it the easiest tubeless setup I have ever worked with.
Have to agree there, I had to pump up my stock set of Giant AM rims at least once a week, with the e deemax s30 it’s not even once a month. Also you could buy 3 sets for the price of some quoted here. My fully loaded set up is around 120kg, but I wouldn’t be doing DH like that, more long range trail stuff, so I wouldn’t say my wheels take a pounding, but they do have the reputation for taking it. I’ve done around 4000k so far this year on mine, done one free hub service and bearing check, no parts needed, just grease. Only thing I’d say is tyres are tight to get on and off compared to my stock set. You have to make sure both beads are sitting in the wheel well when fitting. This is obviously part of the reason they seal so well I suppose.

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
A smart DT Swiss employee assured
me that wider rims are noticeably stronger and from my experience this seems to hold true.
This is very dependent on make as for example a hope fortus 30 is stronger than a fortus 35 as the 30 has extra reinforcing inside
And i would have to disagree even if the extra reinforcement wasnt there as wider rim is more prone to damage than a narrow rim for example in the 30 - 35mm camp as they tend to be flatter in design when wider generally.
But we all ride different things with different results thats just my findings.

1668691983573.png

Healy

Oct 4, 2020
Forest of dean
Got a pair of fortus 35s on mine and they have been brilliant. Never knew that about the reinforcing of the 30s. Interesting that

Gilbo

Nov 16, 2022
Isle of man
Thank you all for the input.
Some quick googling show a pretty large span in cost for a wheelset.
(Price listed is just the first I found. It's probably better deals out there)
WTB HTZ I30 = $770
SPANK 359 VIBROCORE = $830
DT Swiss FR 541 -DT Swiss 350- Sapim Force $930
Light Bicycle Recon Pro EN932- DT Swiss 350 $1,035
NOBL TR38 - I9 1/1 $1,240
We Are One Strife - I9 1/1 $1,475
Reserve E 30|HD 31|DH $1,799
Beast Components DH30 -DT Swiss 350 $1,900
ENVE M9 $2500++

I'm ok with spending some money on this, but I don't like the idea of spending more than I need.
I don't care about the sound from the hubs, and I'm not obsessed with saving weight.
My main concern is reliability and that the wheelset can handle my weight (6'4" 300+lbs) and ab-use in rough terrain.

Contact a guy called Martin at hands on wheels in London. This guy builds the best wheels using whatever products you spec. He built me a set using
DT swiss 511 rims
Bitex hubs
Sapim race spokes
They were considerably cheaper than the ones you have listed and are bullet proof.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles