Toughest tubeless tape? ( insert fitting frustration)

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
So I had to use levers to fit a DH casing Big Betty with an ARD insert and nicked the Nukeproof tape. Next time I’ll prob use a lighter casing to try and avoid using levers. Interested in what tape others find most robust when having to wrestle a tyre and insert?

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
I've yet to buy one but they are supposed to be very good with tight inserts.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Yep - I’ll likely pick up one of these, as well as the Bead Bro..

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
How many wraps of tape are you doing? I dont find much difference in tape and usually just buy whatever brand is available in the width I need.

After my first foray into installing inserts and damaging the tape as you did I decided tape is cheap enough in the grand scheme of things to simply go two complete wraps and I add about 12" of overlap from the start point.

I Start the wrap a few inches beyond the valve stem hole which is what I use as an index point.

Also like applying any other adhesive, surface prep is important. I clean the rims with simple green then wipe down with 90% Iso alcohol.

Last edited:

FirstAscent

Apr 5, 2023
Portland
I haven't noticed much difference across brands either, just gotta be careful. I know what you mean though, on my DH bike with cushcore and double down casings, it was a huuuuge pain to get on and I had to do it twice because I damaged the tape on one while installing.

I only do about 1.5 wraps.

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
I guess dish soap works too but I also suggest using some sort of bead lube when working with really difficult insert/tire combinations.

FWIW I have used CushCore, ProCore and Tanus inserts.

CushCore obviously provides the most protection but also the heaviest and the most difficult to install by far. I NEVER could get them installed with Maxxis tires where they didnt wobble. I would never use that combination. Had OK results with CushCore and Magic Mary's but still a little wobble.

ProCore is easiest to install but now discontinued, I purchased 4 sets on clearance dirt cheap however at least one of the inner tubes exploded when setting the bead. Now the garage drywall is speckled with muck off pink sealant. As for protection they are good but require more attention than a foam inset as there are two air chambers to remember to check.

Tanus currently is my current insert of choice. Fairly easy to install and usually dont require levers, lighter and cheaper than CushCore but not the same level of protection but plenty enough for me at the pressures I run which is typically 10 PSI under the tires max. CushCores I would run with almost no air on my hardtails and they were just fine.

Wilbur

Dec 12, 2022
New Zealand
Thanks A06. I’ve caused wobble in tyre casings from landing sideways and damaging the casing, presumably tearing threads. Was the wobble you had similar (deformed casing from using levers) or just difficulties getting the tyre mounted evenly with Cushcore?
What sort of pressures are you running with inserts? I’ve been using 28-30psi with a DH casing and still denting rims, hence the need for inserts..

A06

Mar 9, 2023
Corona, CA
Thanks A06. I’ve caused wobble in tyre casings from landing sideways and damaging the casing, presumably tearing threads. Was the wobble you had similar (deformed casing from using levers) or just difficulties getting the tyre mounted evenly with Cushcore?
What sort of pressures are you running with inserts? I’ve been using 28-30psi with a DH casing and still denting rims, hence the need for inserts..

Wobble from deformation of the bead during install. I never bothered to look it up for myself but the urban legend around here from several LSB's is I have been told no less than 3 times that Maxxis flat out says not to use levers on their tires.

The only experience I have had installing CushCore where I didnt end up throwing a tool across the garage in frustration was when I installed them on a Trek Roscoe 8 with 27.5+ tires (2.8 if I recall). The rim was wide enough that the install went smoothly and also narrow enough to properly hold the bead in place with the insert. Should note that the insert I was using was not the "+" version but the next one down which had the max tire width as 2.6 where the "+" is applicable to 2.6-3.0 so I was sized down by a few MM but they worked very well. In that bike I ran 15 PSI front and back. I wouldnt say it was as plush as full squish enduro but compared to a hardtail without the inserts Id say the ride was similar to a full squish cross country bike.

I run DHF/DHR currently on the emtb I believe the front is 2.6 and rear is 2.4 (?). One is 40 psi max and the other is 50 psi max. I set the bead with compressor set to 5 PSI over the max rated pressure. Once bead is seated I air dow to the stated max and spin the wheels to circulate the sealant and then I let them set for a few hours before airing down by 10 psi each. After that I very unscientifically will burp down air on the trail as needed depending on conditions. But I always leave the house at the same PSI as part of my night before preps

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles