Touch up paint for Carbon

Apples

Oct 27, 2018
Wiltshire
Managed to get a chip down on the paint right down to the Carbon down near the infamous gap
Have ordered the new rubber cover thingy from the LBS but Sod’s law a stone caused this at the weekend
Any paint suggested ? I normally use humbrol enamel paint from the model shops ,
Is this ok to put on carbon due to the chemical content ???
Thanks

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
...I would use cellulose or acrylic...car touch paints are fine....epoxy twin pack if you want the toughest.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
If you are sure the damage is only to the paint then car touch up paint will do the job but you need to prime first. If it has damaged the epoxy you need to effect a repair to prevent it becoming a weak spot. Epoxy resin will do but if it were me I would use a drop ( literally) of something like Solarez ( the epoxy version). It cures with exposure to UV, is premixed so literally just a little blob straight from the tube will do, and it contains micro fibres so has more strength than just epoxy resin. If it is a small chip be very sparing. Cut out a little piece of clear polythene and stick one edge close to the chip. Squeeze out a very tiny blob of Solarez onto the chip and then pull the piece of polythene over it and smooth out with a suitable straight edge. The Solarez will not stick to the polythene so you can leave that until the repair has cured......put the bike in the sun and it will only take 20 mins to cure, but I would leave it 24 hours before painting it. Solarez is clear...no colour. If you have done a tidy job the repair will be smooth and can be primed and painted with car touch up paint. It may be worth practising on a scrap piece of tube or similar first because you want to do a good enough job not to need any sanding because that would mark up the paint around the chip. A good job will leave a perfectly smooth finish so practise first.
ps Carbon on a MTB???!!! Not for me!!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles